Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost brakes on the way home, speedbleeder failure!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghuff
Had a speedbleeder die today running around during my lunch break at work.

beerchug.gif

Drove home with the ebrake.

I am now kind of sketched about them after this.
ghuff
IPB Image

IPB Image

turboman808
Used them probably 10 years ago and had them stop working properly. I never wanted to really say they sucked or are dangerous because there is always human error(something I did).

But to play it safe I stopped using them. Never had a problem with regular bleeders.
detoxcowboy
Thanks for sharing that, I was using them recently too and felt they just were cheaply functional..
iamchappy
Did they leak past the threads or actual nipple. This is very important as i have them
and would hate to loose my brakes when i am ripping.
ghuff
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 2 2010, 06:55 PM) *

Did they leak past the threads or actual nipple. This is very important as i have them
and would hate to loose my brakes when i am ripping.

The nipple.

i have a nice video the wife and I took of the nipple leaking fluid on every brake pedal depress.

I am going to put it on youtube and link it here.....

i put another speedbleeder back in there for now but I think I am going to swap them all out and go back to normal bleeders in the not too distant future.....

To give you an idea, i was doing 120mph yesterday morning, WOT full boost and this happened a few hours later......

Definitely not good. I mean the pedal decayed before it started going to teh floor, but it was not good enough.

Even though my 2001 GTI has a dual circuit master it sure did not feel like it, the pedal physically against the floor slowed me about 1mph per second at most
KELTY360
QUOTE(ghuff @ May 3 2010, 05:52 AM) *

To give you an idea, i was doing 120mph yesterday morning, WOT full boost and this happened a few hours later......

Was this on the street?
charliew
I have not used speed bleeders in the 2001 gti caliper but: I have looked at speedbleeders and it looked like when the tip is seated with the speedbleeder it is just like the stock bleeder. The only way the speedbleeder should let fluid pass is when it is backed off and not seated. Either the seat is damaged or the taper is the wrong size if the speedbleeder is truly tight against the seat. Are you sure you used the right speedbleeder for the caliper you have? It seems like a close examination of the original bleeder and the speedbleeder would show any differences.
EdwardBlume
Very scary... brake loss if not gradual is bad news....
ghuff
QUOTE(charliew @ May 3 2010, 06:21 AM) *

I have not used speed bleeders in the 2001 gti caliper but: I have looked at speedbleeders and it looked like when the tip is seated with the speedbleeder it is just like the stock bleeder. The only way the speedbleeder should let fluid pass is when it is backed off and not seated. Either the seat is damaged or the taper is the wrong size if the speedbleeder is truly tight against the seat. Are you sure you used the right speedbleeder for the caliper you have? It seems like a close examination of the original bleeder and the speedbleeder would show any differences.

I agree. It is a simple thing, full seat area contact = no leak. It was tightened fully, and I am about to go out to the garage any break the dial caliper out on the old bleeders as well as the removed speedbleeder.

ghuff
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 3 2010, 06:03 AM) *

Was this on the street?

Yeah, what?

I was late getting my daughter to the baby sitter and had not had my coffee yet.
charliew
I hope the aluminum caliper isn't stripped. I had bought some speedbleeders but went out to the shop to look at them and of course they are "put up" I guess.
ghuff
The pattern on the contact seat of the bleeder is there for all but 60 degreees of the seating surface.

There was a good 3-4mm between the hex and caliper body.....

Makes me wonder if my calipers are not within spec and causing the leak.

I recall the old bleeder screws were this long. I am going to pull the other rear to inspect it.

I need to find the old bleeder screws to compare, going back 1 month in my garage is an eternity.
KELTY360
QUOTE(ghuff @ May 3 2010, 08:01 AM) *

Was this on the street?

Yeah, what?

I was late getting my daughter to the baby sitter and had not had my coffee yet.

I was just asking. Did I say something wrong?
ghuff
QUOTE(charliew @ May 3 2010, 07:15 AM) *

I hope the aluminum caliper isn't stripped.

I am working from home today and I am miffed.... I recall comparing threaded length on the removed factory bleeder versus this and it being the same. The bleeder took force to remove, it was fully seated and you can see space between the hex portion of the screw and the caliper body.....

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7422/p5021280.mp4

ghuff
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 3 2010, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ May 3 2010, 08:01 AM) *

Was this on the street?

Yeah, what?

I was just asking. Did I say something wrong?

Nobody took the bait from my attempted troll! Damn.

I crack it open sunday mornings & late at night going to/coming from work on a stretch of highway here with no on/off ramps or places for people/things to get in the way should something happen.

I drive it very sedately in traffic, residential areas, and around town in general.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.