Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing new windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
I am down to the wire to be ready for "teeners at Tahoe" and the windshield still needs to be installed. I just read a post in the classics stating that the painted edge (installing rubber trim from mikey914) needs to cure for 10 days :headbang:prior to installing the windshield. I don't have that kind of time. The thread was from 2004 so I'm hoping that something has changed since then. Any suggestions?
Dr Evil
Painted edge??? You painted it before installation? You can always remove the paint, install, and then paint. Worth it IMHO.
Lennies914
I am refering to painting the inside edge of the glass to hide the visible frame, adheisive and trim. (as suggested)
Dr Evil
Exactly. Remove the paint, and then repaint it after you install it. It is not to hard to do.
Joe Owensby
I had a pro glass installer put in my windshield. I used the rubber trim. He painted the inside edge of the glass with something (I think it was called frit). He let it dry for a few minutes, and then put the window in with the adhesive from a tube. This served to hide the adhesive, and I also think it makes the adhesive stick to the glass better. This was done two years ago, and still looks good. I like the black rubber trim. JoeO
underthetire
My advise-be carefull biggrin.gif

let me know if you need a hand. Probably be over that way tonight.
SLITS
You paint a 3/4" area around the edge of the windshield with Frit paint (it was available in the Vendors Section).

Regular paint doesn't like to stick to glass and will likely pull off.

But you can install and paint later as said.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ May 5 2010, 03:41 PM) *

I had a pro glass installer put in my windshield. I used the rubber trim. He painted the inside edge of the glass with something (I think it was called frit). He let it dry for a few minutes, and then put the window in with the adhesive from a tube. This served to hide the adhesive, and I also think it makes the adhesive stick to the glass better. This was done two years ago, and still looks good. I like the black rubber trim. JoeO

That sounds like what I need to do on my windshield smile.gif!!! I have removed my silver molding because it was lifting at freeway speeds. Does anyone know where to get those molding clips?
SLITS
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 5 2010, 05:06 PM) *

That sounds like what I need to do on my windshield smile.gif!!! I have removed my silver molding because it was lifting at freeway speeds. Does anyone know where to get those molding clips?

Usual sources ... Pelican, GPR, AA (cant believe I said that). Comes in a kit as far as I remember.

And use butyl tape instead of the tube. Available at CarQuest in varying thicknesses.
gothspeed
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 5 2010, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 5 2010, 05:06 PM) *

Usual sources ... Pelican, GPR, AA (cant believe I said that). Comes in a kit as far as I remember.

And use butyl tape instead of the tube. Available at CarQuest in varying thicknesses.
Thanks for the advice! Another reason I wanted to find alternatives to the silver molding was it seems to trap a lot of dirt/debris behind it. sad.gif

Is 'butyl tape' the tar strip they sell at auto stores?
Lennies914
I heard that you "have" to have windshields glurd in these days. Some sort of law? Doesn't the rubber trim need to be glued to the windshield?
turnaround89
the rubber trim has a channel that the windshield edge fits into, there is butyl in that channel which helps the rubber trim stay on the windshield.

Newer cars may have to have their windshields glued in because they use the windshield for structural rigidity. If im not mistaken, the 914 does not use the windshield as a structural part of the chassis, its there to just block wind. The glue they use on new cars dries rock solid, butyl will stay a little tacky(unless its the 38 year old stuff that holds the orig. windshiel in, that can be rock hard)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.