Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 914 6 clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
Hi Guys!

The clutch cable is hanging loose clear of the arm it attaches to, after a sudden let go. Did I loose a throw out bearing or bend and arm?

Any ideas. Car is bone stock! 88k orig. miles. HELP!!!

Thanks

Gene
Spoke
Could be a number of things as you mention the throwout bearing, clutch fork, or if there is rust, the clutch tube.
xsurfer
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 3 2010, 05:26 PM) *

Could be a number of things as you mention the throwout bearing, clutch fork, or if there is rust, the clutch tube.

NO RusT! I've had it on a rack numerous times. I'm thinking T.O. Bearing but never had one go bad. Clutch cable replaced before I drove it home.

Spoke
I had a new clutch cable go out in about 1 years time. Kept stretching and stretching, I adjusted and adjusted, then...SNAP
PRS914-6
Check to see if the clevis broke that attaches the cable to the clutch pedal
xsurfer
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 3 2010, 05:42 PM) *

Check to see if the clevis broke that attaches the cable to the clutch pedal

Tomorrow late afternoon I can look under the car. Just curious as to what others have experienced, helps looking for what you don't expect.

Thanks

Gene

xsurfer
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 3 2010, 05:40 PM) *

I had a new clutch cable go out in about 1 years time. Kept stretching and stretching, I adjusted and adjusted, then...SNAP

I can only hope it's the cable!~
SirAndy
QUOTE(xsurfer @ May 3 2010, 07:16 PM) *
curious as to what others have experienced

Make sure the clutch tube hasn't broken lose ...
If there's any play in the tube, one of the clamps has snapped or maybe even cracked the rear firewall around the tube.

shades.gif Andy
xsurfer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 3 2010, 07:22 PM) *

If there's any play in the tube, one of the clamps has snapped or maybe even cracked the rear firewall around the tube.
shades.gif Andy

I'll check tomorrow. Has anyone ever bent the arm? It felt mechanical when it let go.
Thanks

Gene
GeorgeRud
If it let go all of a sudden, I'd first look at the clutch clevis pin, as the original ones were made of some type of plastic, and the little pins on the side would shear off. There are replacement ones out there made of metal that solve this problem.
dr914@autoatlanta.com

shades.gif Andy

I second Andy's opinion. I think that is what has happened. Look first up front to the left of the shifter hole and a bit forward where the clutch tube attaches to the inside of the shift tunnel. You will need to remove the shifter and the clutch cable. Then grab the tube (is is the larger lower one) and shake it. If it is loose there is your problem. The repair procedure is well documented in the "Tech Tips 700"
PRS914-6
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 4 2010, 06:04 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

I second Andy's opinion. I think that is what has happened. Look first up front to the left of the shifter hole and a bit forward where the clutch tube attaches to the inside of the shift tunnel. You will need to remove the shifter and the clutch cable. Then grab the tube (is is the larger lower one) and shake it. If it is loose there is your problem. The repair procedure is well documented in the "Tech Tips 700"

It would seem unlikely that it's the tube because he stated the "cable is hanging loose" which would take something pretty bad to generate that much slop in the cable, perhaps the clevis as I mentioned, broken cable etc. I don't know if the tube broke if it would cause that much slop. The inner cable would still be attached at both ends. Can you get that much slop if the tube totally breaks? The peddle gets mushy for sure.....
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(xsurfer @ May 3 2010, 07:30 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

I'll check tomorrow. Has anyone ever bent the arm? It felt mechanical when it let go.
Thanks

Gene

Those arms are stout. Good luck bending that. I'll agree with the others that said clevis. Hard to say until you really get in there and look.

All in all, no matter what it is they are all fairly simple fixes. Don't worry about it too much. We will help take care of it beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 4 2010, 09:07 AM) *

Can you get that much slop if the tube totally breaks?

Yes, you can. Happened to me ...

sad.gif Andy
xsurfer
Thanks to all. The clutch cable is good! Time to take the motor and trans out for some service.

Rats!@!!! Ah Fudge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.