Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is likely to break first
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
curious to know where i should spend money first.

jim
tat2dphreak
replace them both... seriously... talk about going all in on a bet, if either one fails badly...

plus once you are done... you will be glad,,, neither are very hard, but cursing will be involved.
r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 4 2010, 08:43 PM) *

jim

What year?

Early, replace ball joint and bolt.
Later...tie rod.

Wiggle everything first...if its tight, leave it all alone and do something else.

Rich
Tom_T
agree.gif
... unless you're redoing everything anyway &/or it's a high mileage 914 with wear problems showing up on the tires, susp. noise, etc.
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 4 2010, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 4 2010, 08:43 PM) *

jim

What year?

Early, replace ball joint and bolt.
Later...tie rod.

Wiggle everything first...if its tight, leave it all alone and do something else.

Rich

Sound advice.if it ain't broke don't..........
jimkelly
you guys need pics - i think most of these parts on my car are 40 yrs old?
r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 5 2010, 07:20 PM) *

you guys need pics - i think most of these parts on my car are 40 yrs old?

jack up the wheel and wiggle it...is it broken?

Its a tough thing to decide...you remove the ball joint and you will stress the tie rods just in doing the work...which will spawn a tie rod change.

I would save up and do both at the same time....and you will love turbo tie rods.

BTW...what happened to Hershey...I was looking forward to seeing you again.

Rich
tat2dphreak
ok, I'm looking at it this way... I had a ball joint break once... at 50mph... NOT FUN! (not in a 914 either)

true that the 914 ball joints and tie rods are not notoriously bad, BUT it's CHEAP insurance.

that's why I did it, eventhough mine looked pretty good(for 40 year old parts)
jimkelly
pics
tat2dphreak
both tie-rod boots are DOA... the ball joints don't look as bad as mine did when I replaced them... but I would have replaced mine at the same time as the tie rods anyway... my tie rods looked slightly better than those, but I did all 4, plus front shocks in a leisurely afternoon... drunk.gif

my philosophy is "if I don't like the way it looks, replace it... especially for 'cheap' parts" ball joints aren't REAL "cheap" in my books, but tie rods are for sure... if you don't do them at the same time, are you going to want to go back in there in a couple months or a year and do it again for the ball joints?
ConeDodger
The specific answer to your question is that neither are likely to break. Ball joints wear out, tie rods rarely break. Spectacularly when they do though... If you are going to do it, you want to do both though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.