Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CF wrapped Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Frost
So i was tired of having a worn out looking targa top one day and decided to do something about it. I went to my buddy's shop and we decided to wrap it in a fake carbon fiber dry weave 3M wrap, which looks very real in person. I'm sure you guys have seen this stuff before on other cars. So here's how it went! (Sorry the pictures aren't quality)

Sanded down.
IPB Image
Primer on the edges.
IPB Image
Laying it down.
IPB Image
IPB Image
The underside.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Finish product.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
On the car in my garage.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Sails are next.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I messed up here and the with some wrinkles, no ones perfect! But wait, why stop at the top?
Light switch.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Friends laptop.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Just thought you guys might like it.
budman5201
Hey man i want to do that to my top. Where did you get it? I looked it up and everyone wants an arm and a leg for the material.

How much was yours?
Andyrew
Stuff looks pretty good! Got a part number?
zymurgist
Cool targa panel!
VaccaRabite
That looks great!

There was a How To video I saw a year or so ago (:eep: maybe more...) about how to make a convincing CF body panel using paint, and I considered it for my top. But decided against in the end. Good option for a CSOB fakie though. Found the video (there are lots there now! laugh.gif)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDV5gR90zY

Your wrap looks better. Looks like it would pass the touch test. Two thumbs up from me.

flipb
Looks cool!

I wonder if it would be cheesy on the dash panel... my original basketweave is loose in a lot of places.
turboman808
tacky
charliew
I could be wrong but unless it is glued down all across the top, this summer when it gets hot it will look like one of the 70's convertibles that have the top bulging up when it is going down the road. Course if it is in the trunk it won't.

Edit: I like some guys I have commented about on other topics spoke before I read up on the stuff. It is glued everywhere so maybe it won't suck up at speed. It looks pretty good as a alternative to the factory texture but like a cheap paint job at some point someone will need to redo it. It might be harder than paint to redo.
veltror
QUOTE(flipb @ May 5 2010, 01:33 PM) *

Looks cool!

I wonder if it would be cheesy on the dash panel... my original basketweave is loose in a lot of places.

I just bought a piece of carbon fibre sheet to make the dash panel!! Now i think doing a gelled carbon fibre top might be a good idea
you tube video from the guys i got my CF smile.gif
dakotaewing
Here is an entire thread on this stuff I found...
Fake Carbon Fiber wrap

charliew
Ok something that may be obvious to some but not all is that over time the real cf parts will yellow and dull just like boat surfaces. They will need to be rebuffed to stay shiney but the yellow tint is forever. Also my son bought a seibon hood several years ago and it came in damaged from the vender, the corners were broken. We could tell that the box was not damaged but the hood was. He finally got his money back but the thing I want to say is the stuff is impossible to repair cosmeticaly if a damaged area is into the weave, like on a corner. I guess it can just be painted at that point after it is repaired. Also most of the "show quality stuff" I have seen has imperfections and waves in it. I think if you want a real smooth finish on like a hood you will end up with several clear coats and a lot of leveling to get it there.

If it's me it will be the real stuff even if it's just layered on, but that also will be added weight.
dakotaewing
They clearly state that the general lifespan of the exterior product is 4 years, and used as a interior product it is about 12 years. Each of these timeframes are avg., and is determinate upon how and where the car is stored. I have several tops for my car, and this would be a nice variation - Note that there are other colors besides black - It appears that after that timeframe the material can be pulled off, and new material applied.

TE
MoveQik
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 5 2010, 05:47 AM) *

tacky

Seriously? Fairly uncalled for considering the time, effort and money put into something that the owner clearly likes.

I think its cool. beerchug.gif
charliew
I've seen some camo jobs that have been on a few years and they seem to be holding up pretty good. I think it's a good thing for interior pieces and maybe even cars that set inside away from the sun and heat alot. If a clearcoat will stick permanently that might make the exterior hold up longer.
McMark
Because the top is fiberglass, you could easily lay down a layer of real CF for the look. idea.gif
charliew
Except for the yellowing part with age that I don't know how to fix.
jsayre914
nice job!

Make sure it dosnt rub on the bottom of the deck lid when stored.

smile.gif
TravisNeff
That turned out pretty good!
SirAndy
QUOTE(charliew @ May 5 2010, 09:06 AM) *

Except for the yellowing part with age that I don't know how to fix.

I have a real CF dash (from Getty) and it's been in my car for 5 years or so with no indication of turning yellow ...

I did have Brandon put on a few layers of clear coat on top of the basic finish, maybe that's why?
idea.gif Andy
charliew
That sounds promising but has it been in the sun much?
SirAndy
QUOTE(charliew @ May 5 2010, 10:48 AM) *

Considering that i don't have a garage and my car has been parked outside for the last 10 years, i'd say yes, it has seen it's fair share of sunlight ...

shades.gif Andy
Frost
QUOTE(budman5201 @ May 5 2010, 02:10 AM) *

Hey man i want to do that to my top. Where did you get it? I looked it up and everyone wants an arm and a leg for the material.

How much was yours?

I got the material from a friend of mines that wholesales, he supplies most of the shops around where hes located at and gave me a decent price.
Frost
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2010, 07:30 AM) *

That looks great!

There was a How To video I saw a year or so ago (:eep: maybe more...) about how to make a convincing CF body panel using paint, and I considered it for my top. But decided against in the end. Good option for a CSOB fakie though. Found the video (there are lots there now! laugh.gif)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDV5gR90zY

Your wrap looks better. Looks like it would pass the touch test. Two thumbs up from me.

Haha thanks, yeah theres alot of imitation wraps out there made out of different materials. Ive fooled alot of people thinking that it's a real dryweave top.
Frost
QUOTE(flipb @ May 5 2010, 07:33 AM) *

Looks cool!

Haha mines is starting to peel off too and i was going to wrap that next.
dakotaewing
Frost -
Your top now makes your side panels look like trash...
Are those next??? Something to think about -
Frost
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 5 2010, 01:40 PM) *

Frost -
Your top now makes your side panels look like trash...
Are those next??? Something to think about -

Haha yes i know and yes those are next, as soon as pay day comes around im going to wrap those.
scotty b
So whose going to be the first one to wrap a whole car ???? popcorn[1].gif
RJMII
A MAC? really?

j/k... the CF looks good in the pictures. smile.gif I particularly like the shot with the keys, it does look like it's got the weave going.
URY914
I would think that UV rays would be the killer. On a garage car it should last long time.
Drums66
QUOTE(charliew @ May 5 2010, 10:48 AM) *

Interesting to see how it holds up over time? idea.gif
markb
I think it looks great. I also think it would look better if you did the sail panels & windshield hoop. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(markb @ May 5 2010, 03:23 PM) *

I think it looks great. I also think it would look better if you did the sail panels & windshield hoop. smile.gif

agree.gif but not too sure on the windshield hoop
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 5 2010, 03:13 PM) *

I would think that UV rays would be the killer. On a garage car it should last long time.

I like the looks, but I don't think it would last long here in Florida. Hell half the cars driving around the paint is burning off the cars, the other half are driving Lambos
rickthejetman
QUOTE(McMark @ May 5 2010, 08:50 AM) *

Because the top is fiberglass, you could easily lay down a layer of real CF for the look. idea.gif

you can buy special resins with U.V. inhibitors in them they stop the yellowing for quite a long time
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.