Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling flaps on a six, are they needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jt914-6
The cooling flaps underneath the car, do they help a six?
BTW...I couldn't find them in the PET. Did I overlook them somewhere??
ClayPerrine
They were never on the factory sixes, but yes, they help with the cooling on a 914-6. They make a low pressure area behind them so the air is pulled through the engine somewhat. I put them on my six conversion and got a small oil temp drop.

Mark Henry
Which flaps? The plastic ones on the under body just before the engine bay?
jt914-6
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 5 2010, 07:40 AM) *

Which flaps? The plastic ones on the under body just before the engine bay?

YES
VaccaRabite
Wonder how many votes this thread gets before it is closed for breaking the politics rule.

(the flaps are a good thing)

Zach
jt914-6
Oops.....forgot about that Zach....maybe I should have included more political choices...
IronHillRestorations
The cooling flaps will help.
jt914-6
Thanks Perry, because you and Clay said they will.......it's got to be true....... biggrin.gif I'll install mine soon....My oil temp in upper 70's temps running hard for 15 minutes at a DE was 205 degrees....I think my cooler is working just fine.....
tradisrad
I installed them on my '70 4cyl.
IronHillRestorations
The updated smaller orfice oil fittings on the cam towers help oil pressure when hot too.
Drums66
Sho..Nuff bye1.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2010, 06:05 AM) *
Wonder how many votes this thread gets before it is closed for breaking the politics rule.
None. I thought editing out the political options was a better choice than closing it.
jt914-6
Thanks for keeping it open, although I think it is agreed that they do help. The political thing was for humor not any poll..I'm JT914-6 and I approved this message....
sixerdon
I didn't vote. The question is too vague.
...."are they needed?" On a stock six?.........No. Not in my climate.
On your conversion with a bigger engine? It wouldn't hurt.

Don
Mr.242
my .02$

When built in 1970 they weren't exactly sure what was needed and the flaps came about later in production (AFTER the 6's were no longer put in these fine machines).

YES, it's a good thing. Isn't it the principle is to create a change in pressure behind the flaps (engine bay) and move the air around the engine and out the back? It also creates a cooling affect around the stock mounted fuel pump by moving the air under the car. ????

Do we wanna start talking about the deeper rear SIX valence as well............. blink.gif
jt914-6
I've got the ones that came on my '74 conversion car and I plan on putting them on as it is in the "914 position" now with all four corners are up in the air. As for the "deeper SIX rear valences" I'm using a fg 916 rear.

I was at a DE last weekend and in temp in the upper 70's and running hard for the 15 minute sessions, my oil temp never got over 205. I think the flaps though would help circulate air around the exhaust headers and help cooling in that way.
J P Stein
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 5 2010, 06:43 PM) *

It wouldn't hurt.

Don

agree.gif

Rear valence????
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Gint @ May 5 2010, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2010, 06:05 AM) *
None. I thought editing out the political options was a better choice than closing it.

14.gif 14.gif
Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.