Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O 1167
Like the topic title says, the turn signals light up and 'blink' when the headlights are off, perfectly normal operation. But once the headlights are on, I can hear clicking in the dash but the turn signals do not 'blink'. I also noticed that the light in the tach never flashes and seem to remember that there was a thread about the circuit running through that lamp. Anybody have any ideas? I'm just trying to tie up some loose electrical gremlins..
rnellums
I had something like that on mine, i had the signals wired up backwards. they are two filament bulbs, so if you hook the bright filament up to the lights instead of the flasher, you get dim flashes with no lights on, and then when you turn the lights on you can't tell the dim ones are still blinking.
~Ross
Mike Bellis
The other possibility is a bad ground at the relay or switch. The signals may be pulling a "ground" through the turned off headlights. This is exactly how the fog light switch works. The fog light switch gets its power from the low beam and its ground through the high beam turned off. When the high beam turns on, the "ground" to the fog light switch becoms positive and shuts off the fog lights. It's not really a "ground", it's just MORE negative than the power lead and that will allow current to flow over it.
Rob-O 1167
Bingo for both of you. THe ground behind the left headlight bucket was loose. Tightening that up helped me get back my low beams (high beams were working).

I also switched the wires on the turn signals and they work like a charm. I *thought* they were a little bright in 'parking light' mode. Once I switched the wires the 'parking light' mode was much dimmer, which of course they should be.

Thanks for the help, always appreciated.
rnellums
Glad It all worked out.
~Ross
QUOTE(Rob-O 1167 @ May 7 2010, 06:05 AM) *

Bingo for both of you. THe ground behind the left headlight bucket was loose. Tightening that up helped me get back my low beams (high beams were working).

I also switched the wires on the turn signals and they work like a charm. I *thought* they were a little bright in 'parking light' mode. Once I switched the wires the 'parking light' mode was much dimmer, which of course they should be.

Thanks for the help, always appreciated.

Mike Bellis
Awesome! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.