Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting tail shift trany to side shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reharvey
I have a low mileage ( 6000 ) tail shift trany that I'm going to convert to a side shifter. I have another side shift trany to use for parts. Has anyone here done this? Any info would be helpful.
ClayPerrine
Easily done.

1. take the tail housing off the tail shifter and set aside.
2. remove the tail housing from the side shifter, extract the gear stack and remove the shift rods and forks.

3. install the shift rods and forks in the gear stack from the tail shifter. Adjust the shift forks.

4. install the tail housing from the side shifter onto the tail shifter.

5. Install the shift console.

6. Enjoy.

I suggest that you replace all the gaskets and seals while you have it apart.

reharvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 5 2010, 11:20 PM) *

Easily done.

1. take the tail housing off the tail shifter and set aside.
2. remove the tail housing from the side shifter, extract the gear stack and remove the shift rods and forks.

3. install the shift rods and forks in the gear stack from the tail shifter. Adjust the shift forks.

4. install the tail housing from the side shifter onto the tail shifter.

5. Install the shift console.

6. Enjoy.

I suggest that you replace all the gaskets and seals while you have it apart.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know it would be that easy!
Dr Evil
Clay misses one very critical item, you need the jig and know-how to adjust the forks. If you do this wrong, your box will have a short and aggravating life. The adjustment is easy once you know what you are doing, though. To use the side shifter, you will need all of the external pices from the stick shift on back including the engine bar and engine mounts.

I am not trying to dissuade you at all, just give you a heads up.
Dr Evil
Oh, welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.