Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Having Trouble With My Knob!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Especially when pulling back on it to hit first gear...the knob comes off. Unlike any other import I've had, the knob doesn't seem to thread on. The shaft (too many jokes here) is not threaded, and when I peer into the inside of the knob all I see is a metal "cup" that appears to be a crimp type fitting over the shaft. It does get tighter if I turn the knob clockwise once it's on the shaft. What's up with that?
DanT
factory knobs attach to the shifter shaft with a crush sleeve..it looks like a metal piece of corrugated cardboard.
Once a knob is taken off they are pretty much useless. You need a new crush sleeve and all will be good again. biggrin.gif
Might as well polish your knob while you have it off laugh.gif
76-914
QUOTE(DanT @ May 6 2010, 07:34 AM) *

factory knobs attach to the shifter shaft with a crush sleeve..it looks like a metal piece of corrugated cardboard.
Once a knob is taken off they are pretty much useless. You need a new crush sleeve and all will be good again. biggrin.gif

I'm glad toI know that. I'd better quit taking mine off. It may not fit next time! Seriously, I've never encountered this and I've had mine off several times. I may have an extra wave cup washer if you need one Ken.
kenshapiro2002
I appreciate that, but you may need ti. Does anybody sell these?

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 6 2010, 10:42 AM) *

I'm glad toI know that. I'd better quit taking mine off. It may not fit next time! Seriously, I've never encountered this and I've had mine off several times. I may have an extra wave cup washer if you need one Ken.

VaccaRabite
I have found them at autozone. Its just a crush sleeve for a shift knob. Put in a rennshifter and you can go back to using threaded knobs again. smile.gif

Zach
type47
PET shows 999.532.001.00 spacer; looks like it could be the part
veltror
Mark sells a crush washer !!

(Sorry, had to edit out UK political commentary - Clay)

kenshapiro2002
Thanks!

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 6 2010, 11:50 AM) *

I have found them at autozone. Its just a crush sleeve for a shift knob. Put in a rennshifter and you can go back to using threaded knobs again. smile.gif

Zach

kenshapiro2002
Now...to get the old one out of the knob!
Tom_T
Ken, these are available at the local Porsche dealer, AA, PP, GPR, Pelican, etc., etc. & not too pricey, so get 2 since you apparently like playing with your knob anyway! biggrin.gif

Some long-nose needle-nosed pliers will get the old one out.

Then as someone else said above, go ahead & polish your knob while you have it off, & might as well stroke the shaft until shiney too!!!! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 6 2010, 08:09 AM) *

I appreciate that, but you may need ti. Does anybody sell these?

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 6 2010, 10:42 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.