Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 e-brake question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dadaDaveed
I've have a pair of 911 e-brakes for my 5 bolt conversion. I purchased the tangerine e-brake adapter kit. I just have a question about the function of the e-brake...

There's two "butterflies" that, when compressed together, spread the brake shoes. My question is, if the e-brake cable is pulling on one of the butterflies... what pushes on the other side? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

(I snagged this photo from Eric Shea's classic e-brake thread)
ClayPerrine
On a 911, it is pushed by the cable sheath. Most of the 911 ebrake conversions only pull one side. I don't know if this one does or not.

dadaDaveed
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 6 2010, 10:29 AM) *

On a 911, it is pushed by the cable sheath. Most of the 911 ebrake conversions only pull one side. I don't know if this one does or not.

Ok, that makes sense. The second butterfly is redundant. So here's my thinking...

Without the sheath to push in against the inner butterfly, it will not move inward, thus when the shoes spread apart, the inner butterfly's "wings" will fall out of position and just dangle.

Here's my plan then... tell me if you see any holes.

This is the 40mm spacer bracket that Tangerine provides. There were no instructions in the kit, though from the pictures on the Tangerine site, it appears they were intended to be welded onto the trailing arms. (I think I prefer the method Eric Shea used... of welding it the e-brake carrier, so the entire e-brake can be removed as one piece. I'm referencing the thread of his in the Classic's section)

Click to view attachment

So the butterfly actually serves two purposes... in addition to spreading the brake shoes, it provides a seat for the spring that floats between the two butterflies. The wings will just dangle, so my plan is to cut off the wings...

Click to view attachment

Then weld the "maimed butterfly" to the Tangerine bracket.

Click to view attachment

Continued on next post...
dadaDaveed
Then the bracket will be welded to the e-brake carrier

Click to view attachment

At that point, the spring and outer butterfly will sit firmly in place and nothing dangles. Look good? Am I missing anything?
PRS914-6
Just a suggestion...If you use cables to that point you risk header interference and why many of us have used stock 914 cables with a bell-crank.

If you use a cable to the EB assembly you could (and should) use both expanders. The outer cable would press on the inner expander and you would only need some way of supporting the cable and eliminating exhaust interference.

A good thread to read
Eric_Shea
The Tangering kit uses stock cables.

I would not do it the way I did it in that early version. I believe it is better to weld it to the arms.

Read the "speedbleeder failed" thread. If you ever had to make it home on a hand brake that backing plate would not handle that load. Good for parking on a hill but, for a practical emergency brake... weld it to the arm.

All of our future kits will incorporate the Tangering system. $150ish no-brainer in my book.
Steve
I have a thick L bracket welded to the trailing arm like on the 911. I would be paranoid of the L bracket welded to the E brake assemby, breaking lose in an emergency. I am using a 914 clutch cable that only pulls from one side, but the other side rests against the L bracket and is not going to come lose unless the cable breaks.
ClayPerrine
I would use a cable that uses both spreaders. If you use just one, you risk uneven shoe engagement. I made extensions for the 914 park brake cables that turn and run parallel to the trailing arm so I wouldn't burn the cables.

It works great!
dadaDaveed
Ok, I'll definitely weld to the trailing arms.

This is the best setup I could figure out utilizing the Tangerine adapters. Outer spreader only, inner spreader tossed aside, spring resting directly against adapter plate, kept centered by the cable going through it. (adapter plate pivoted back for visibility sake in this photo).

Click to view attachment

Clay, do you have any photos of your setup? I'm leaning towards using the Tangerine (since I already bought it), but I'm really curious about your solution.

Eric_Shea
I have a couple of the 911 tubes sitting on the bench (the ones that sheath the cable and activate the inner butterfly).

I'm also installing a Tangerine kit this week for Mr. FourBlades I'll see how it all plays out and try to post pictures.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dadaDaveed @ May 6 2010, 03:48 PM) *

Clay, do you have any photos of your setup? I'm leaning towards using the Tangerine (since I already bought it), but I'm really curious about your solution.

You can see the pictures and directions on how I did mine in this thread....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...11++park++brake

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.