Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funny Stories & Odd Ball Compliments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Okay, so Jim Hoyland started one along these lines of 914 compliments & comments over on 914club, to which I just added the ones below, which I thought & cut-n-paste to share here as well.

This first one is along the lines of the musings of Toast under the "How Trustworthy is your 914" topic here (that's a great one in itself, with some other gems there too - e.g.: "My 914 is very loyal." biggrin.gif ).

My personal favorite "compliment" or comment was when both F & R trunks were open & somebody walks up with this look unsure.gif
... and asks: "Whu....whu....where's the engine????" confused24.gif

Fav. true ticket stop story - not in a 914, but I was in the car & had my 914 - in my buddy's MGB through the "dead zone" which used to be on Jamboree Blvd. by the old Scout Camp/Buffalo Ranch in Newport Beach (Jim H & the other OCer's around back in the 70's will know it), when he put pedal to the metal driving.gif & within a few minutes a Newport cop pulls him over, comes up & asks the usual: "Do you know how fast you were going?" shades.gif

My buddy Phil looks up & says "Uhhh, no........" - looks down at the toy phone his niece had left in the car, glances at me with an evil grin happy11.gif and quickly grabs the toy phone handpiece (not a smart idea with a cop with a gun next to you in the first place, who's initial reaction is to post-2-1117899824.gif his pants), & Phil says in a perfect Shatner voice: "Scotty! ..... How fast were we going!?"

The cop immediately goes from high alert mode to cracking up so hard he almost wets himself & can barely breath, let alone talk! laugh.gif He finally gets enough of a gasp to say:
"Whew! ....wheeze.... Oh God, that's the funniest thing I've ever seen! ....wheeze.... Go on, get outta here & keep your speed to Warp 1 buddy!"

av-943.gif
Markl
I've had a few people say that they like my funny little orange car, ask about the gas tank uder the hood, etc., but here's the odd:

My car had an idling problem and a hot start issue when I first bought it. It failed on me twice. The first time was at a gas station, and the guy who push-started me knew exactly what the problem was - "yeah, I used to have one of these - that's why I sold it!".

Not too odd, but the second time was on a lonely highway, with nothing for miles save a few cars parked at a trailhead. This time a guy literally popped out of the woods, said "Won't start? I used to have one of these - that's why I sold it!' and pushed me down the hill.

I mean, what are the odds? How many 914 ex-owners are there? I didn't want to push my luck, so I went ahead and fixed both problems.

And, since I was afraid to let my foot off the gas long enough to say thanks, I'll do it now - THANK YOU, EX-914ERS!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Markl @ May 7 2010, 06:57 PM) *

I've had a few people say that they like my funny little orange car, ask about the gas tank uder the hood, etc., but here's the odd:

My car had an idling problem and a hot start issue when I first bought it. It failed on me twice. The first time was at a gas station, and the guy who push-started me knew exactly what the problem was - "yeah, I used to have one of these - that's why I sold it!".

Not too odd, but the second time was on a lonely highway, with nothing for miles save a few cars parked at a trailhead. This time a guy literally popped out of the woods, said "Won't start? I used to have one of these - that's why I sold it!' and pushed me down the hill.

I mean, what are the odds? How many 914 ex-owners are there? I didn't want to push my luck, so I went ahead and fixed both problems.

And, since I was afraid to let my foot off the gas long enough to say thanks, I'll do it now - THANK YOU, EX-914ERS!

At least you fixed it, instead of selling the car! biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif ... more? ..... popcorn[1].gif
benalishhero
I had one a few days ago. I had my teener parked outside the shop. A customer comes in to pick up his Landrover Disco and says "What is that boxy yellow car out there?" "It looks homemade." This is when he realizes by the look on my face that it's mine. He then says: "It's looks like a really good machanic put that together".

I now joke with everyone that I drive a kit car. LOL.
jt914-6
A couple quick ones...It seems like just about everytime we go out in our unique little cars we get some kind of comments.....

Years ago in my first 914 I had a CB radio/110" whip antenna. Was high atop a well to do neighborhood with some new houses being built. I was up there talking to my uncle in another town. I parked in front of a house being built. As I'm going to leave I hear a voice..."Stop", so I backed up to him only to see a 9mm staring at me...He said they had some stealing going on of materials. He wanted to search my car to see if I had anything. Popped the front trunk....nothing....I guess he thought the engine was in the rear as he never asked to look there...

Last night I attended a car show. It is mostly attended by "street rods/cruisers". Got the car ready and had the engine lid up. This guy in his late teens/early 20's asked if he could see the engine...It's open I said....where's the engine he asked.....behind the seats......comes back and asked can you open the back trunk so I can see it?.....I said, if you want to see more of the engine you'll have to look underneath the car.....

Side note: once had three adults and one full grown Irish setter in a 914 for a trip to the store.......
Tom_T
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ May 8 2010, 07:35 AM) *

Side note: once had three adults and one full grown Irish setter in a 914 for a trip to the store.......

Once had 5 adults in my teen & went through the local burger place drive-thru backwards to order - just for a lark! 3.5 on seats & 1.5 on laps - all female! biggrin.gif
... the look on the window guy's face was priceless blink.gif no comment necessary! laugh.gif

Talking with a fellow "older" Teener last week up in the SF Bay Area, who also had a 914 back in the 70's when we were younger (much), single, less smart & pre-AIDS days - & we both agreed that the 914's were actually made for one guy & two gals (or visa versa for the opposite sex) - putting the best looking one in the middle "seat" & with the occasional "shift slip" in 1st, 3rd & 5th! biggrin.gif

For the younger guys FYI - the 914 wasn't called a "cute car" by the gals because it was preferred to buy/drive by them, but because of it's inherent magnetism - especially with the top off!! ...wink, wink, nod, nod"! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Here's another one that just came to mind on another member here's post ....

Back in the late 70's I had an ex-GF who swore she knew how to drive a stick & "....I [she] drove my [her] ex-boyfriends 912 all the time! smile.gif < eyes a battin'), when can I drive yours?"

Well I was hurtin-fur-certain after a 2 day 8 match/game Rugby Tourney in Santa Barbara, so I finally acquiesced to let her drive it for awhile. All was okay until traffic was stopped ahead on the 101 into LA, & she starts pumping the clutch for all she was worth - thinking it was the brakes! new_shocked.gif

As soon as I realized that she wasn't gettin it - from the passenger seat & knocked it out of gear & reached over with my left foot to work the brake & took the wheel to steer it from the left lane into the center median barely missing the car stopped ahead & just clipped off the right front side marker lens! blink.gif Whew!!!!

That time I was happy that the DAPO had removed the Center Console to make driving from the passenger seat a little easier! dry.gif

I suppose everybody gets "pedal challenged" at some point - with me it's usually footin' for the non-existent clutch pedal in my wife's 88 Westy automatic when I haven't driven it for awhile!

Anyone else here ever drive your 914 from the passenger seat - while buckled in???? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.