Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: idles low after long runs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
When I got off the freeway tonight my car seemed to idle really low. I am starting to notice when I drive the car on long drives - 40 -50 miles and the car heats up - it idles really low and it doesnt start as easy as it does when its cold. What could be the problem?

1.7 Djet 1973
Brad Roberts
HUm..

Could be that your Aux air regulator is closing at a certain temp point, but somebody set the idle before it was closed completely while tuning it.

I block the line off to it when I set the final idle speed.

You may have also had a vaccuum link that is opening/closing with heat.

B
Mike9142.0
Try adjusting the valve's, it sound's like thay may be tight.
My 73 2.0 would not idle when hot started hard hot.
Adjusted the valve's and all was good.
Bruce Allert
Mine does the same thing. Just the other day it was idling less than 400 RPMs after a 50 mile drive so I adjusted it up to 900.
Now, it idles at 1300 after it warms up. I'm going to try the adjustment like you said, Brad, by closing off the AAR completely.
bruce
ne14914
I will try adjusting the idle with the AAR blocked and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again ~
ChrisReale
Is it best toi adjust the idle when the car is warm, say to 950 rpm, or cold, say to 1500 rpm
Bruce Allert
I've always heard warm. I did it cold once and it was way too low when it warmed because the AAR was open causing the high idle warm up.
bruce
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 7 2003, 08:22 PM)
Could be that your Aux air regulator is closing at a certain temp point, but somebody set the idle before it was closed completely while tuning it.

I block the line off to it when I set the final idle speed.

You may have also had a vaccuum link that is opening/closing with heat.

All this FI mumbo jumbo makes me icon8.gif " The AAR multiplied by the Tangent of the quasi-cosine theta of the vaccum pull multiplied by the inverse inverted variable....etc" laugh.gif jk
Ahhh. THe joy of "set-it a-and-forget-it" Carbs. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.