Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does your rotor look like this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
ahhhhhhh.....
that new rotor feeling.
Click to view attachment
Frost
Very nice and shinny!
rwilner
what amazed me was the contactor blade. It's almost completely gone from the old one!
pcar916
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 6 2010, 05:31 PM) *

what amazed me was the contactor blade. It's almost completely gone from the old one!

I'm just guess'n here but I think the electrode on the right is a different design (longer duration fire if the juice is there). If there was that much erosion the residue would be all over the inside of your distributor. Are you sure that's the correct rotor?

It may help or make no difference at all but the cap may not have as much time to build up a charge in between plugs. It will make less of a difference on a four but on a six with stock ignition I'd check into it.

Again, I'm just askin the question.
hcdmueller
That is not the correct rotor. That is for a later Bosch distributor with electronically controlled ignition. Something like a Vanagon or an older Golf.
rwilner
QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 7 2010, 09:34 AM) *

I'm just guess'n here but I think the electrode on the right is a different design (longer duration fire if the juice is there). If there was that much erosion the residue would be all over the inside of your distributor. Are you sure that's the correct rotor?

It may help or make no difference at all but the cap may not have as much time to build up a charge in between plugs. It will make less of a difference on a four but on a six with stock ignition I'd check into it.

Again, I'm just askin the question.

They're the same part # confused24.gif

Going to fire it up today, I'll let you know how I make out.
Cap'n Krusty
Looks to me like one's an 033 and the other is an 038. The Cap'n
rwilner
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 7 2010, 10:53 AM) *

Cap'n
Any danger in trying the new rotor out?
tomeric914
Both rotors will work but there will be a slight advance in timing. If you're running an 009 at 28 deg, you may be at 30 deg with the new rotor. Worth a quick check.
Cap'n Krusty
I use whichever I have in stock, or which ever cost me less. I have both on hand, and the tip width is the difference. They're both listed as fitting 914s.

The Cap'n
avidfanjpl
I have a very old rotor on my 73 2.0 that I want to replace. It is a revlimiter, but I think it is the wrong one.

Anyone got the right part number and a pic?

There are multiple ones available but many have different revlimits built into them.

Since mine is a 2.0, the limit is something like 5650 or 5850, correct?

Thanks!

John
avidfanjpl
rwilner
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 7 2010, 11:48 AM) *

I have a very old rotor on my 73 2.0 that I want to replace. It is a revlimiter, but I think it is the wrong one.

Anyone got the right part number and a pic?

There are multiple ones available but many have different revlimits built into them.

Since mine is a 2.0, the limit is something like 5650 or 5850, correct?

Thanks!

John
avidfanjpl

I'm pretty sure the rev limit should be set @ 5800.
McMark
Both rotors will work but there will be a slight advance in timing.

There will be no change in timing. Timing is dictated by your points. The rotor is just a conductor path. The rotor position never changes because that shaft is solidly attached to the distributor drive. The distributor body, and therefore the points, change as the body orientation is changed relative to the center shaft. That is what changes the timing.
rwilner
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2010, 11:53 AM) *

Timing is dictated by your points.

I've got an XR3000 optical system, so no points. That said, I'm going to give this thing a whirl anyway (pun fully intended).
iamchappy
Nope mine looks like this....
realred914
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 7 2010, 08:43 AM) *

Both rotors will work but there will be a slight advance in timing. If you're running an 009 at 28 deg, you may be at 30 deg with the new rotor. Worth a quick check.

really????? I thought timing was controlled by that thing called points or maybe an electronic ignition. the spark fires when the pioint open, either the rotot is in postion for the spark to jump to the cap terminal or not. the length of the contact area on the rotor should have no perceptable effect on timing advance or retard.

Note how you can move the cap on the dizzie even when it is locked down, got to be a couple degrees of slop there to, yet that has no effect on timing.

the spark goes when the points open regardless of where the rotor is. either the rotor is in postion to allow the spark to jump to the cap or it is not. But the timing of that event is controlled by the points, not the rotor nor cap position.

I supsect you have two style of rotors with differenbt design of tips. (dispite same part numbers. If the difference was from wear, there would be a lot of arc welding style melted metal all about.
McMark
Different technology, same part. Crane = electronic points. cool.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 7 2010, 07:53 AM) *

agree.gif

033's I believe are what 914's came with originally, the shorter contact. wink.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2010, 11:53 AM) *

There will be no change in timing. Timing is dictated by your points. The rotor is just a conductor path. The rotor position never changes because that shaft is solidly attached to the distributor drive. The distributor body, and therefore the points, change as the body orientation is changed relative to the center shaft. That is what changes the timing.

You are 100% correct. I had me head in a separate conversation when I replied. Just not possible to multitask!
rwilner
Update: new rotor is working just fine. I do need to set the timing but that is a separate and unrelated issue.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 7 2010, 11:56 AM) *

Update: new rotor is working just fine. I do need to set the timing but that is a separate and unrelated issue.

No, as stated above, it's the points that trigger the spark, the rotor is just a path of travel for the ZZZZT!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.