Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for guys who've sold their prized cars...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
How long does the walking out to the garage and being bummed you don't see your car there last?

All week I have been going into my garage to get something and saying "Oh...bummer."

Guess I had better get something in there soon.
URY914
I'll tell you next week after I deliver it to it new owner.
PeeGreen 914
What car are you selling Paul?

It feels weird for sure blink.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 7 2010, 10:18 AM) *

How long does the walking out to the garage and being bummed you don't see your car there last?

All week I have been going into my garage to get something and saying "Oh...bummer."

IT MUST BE REPLACED
Tom_T

Until you fill the space - both in the garage & your heart! driving.gif
... time for anudder! biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well, with the way the market is turning around and my other job.... I should be out of debt in no time and able to get something in there soon.

G prepared here I come piratenanner.gif
zymurgist
I don't know, although I've been flirting with the idea of selling the 911 back to the PO. He said that he misses the engine. laugh.gif
detoxcowboy

If it was a really special car to you the it will always be missed somewhat but like a new girlfriend another sweet car help you forget..
PeeGreen 914
If you are thinking of getting something else or would like another toy...do it. You will make the PO very happy beerchug.gif

Then again, if you're not finished enjoying it DON'T DO IT.
914werke
Your welcome to come over and look at the hell in my garage!
KELTY360
Down in my signature line is a basic scientific principle: Nature abhors a vacuum.

You've got to fill the hole or the wife will notice the open space and find filler of her own. biggrin.gif

Don't defy nature!
IronHillRestorations
Remorse, regret, and withdrawl. That's what you'll feel Jon. I sold my marthon blue, steel flaired, 3.0 6 conversion, with custom leather interior to buy a 911. I found a killer sexy black '91 C2, that I ended up trading for a new '00 Boxster, that I still have, and some $35k or so later, me and my wife both wish "old blue" was still here.
Root_Werks
It hurts! Soooooooo bad it hurts! hissyfit.gif
Drums66
It does'nt really hit you until....after the ducats are spent! bye1.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Drums66 @ May 7 2010, 11:12 AM) *

It does'nt really hit you until....after the ducats are spent! bye1.gif

Oh I dunno about that. Paying off my bills feels great... I actually feel so much less stress already... but not having my car in the garage is weird and my son doesn't help asking where it is every few minutes. mad.gif lol-2.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 7 2010, 01:47 PM) *

If you are thinking of getting something else or would like another toy...do it. You will make the PO very happy beerchug.gif

Then again, if you're not finished enjoying it DON'T DO IT.

I love driving it, but the MFI motor makes me nervous. I don't want to have to put big bucks into repairs should they be necessary. Also, I may not drive it that much this year as I am learning to ride a motorcycle.

Selling it would free up space for another project bike, or maybe Babydoll ('74 2.0 with original D-Jet).
Rav914
It never goes away. Within the past few years I sold a '67 911S Targa and a '66 911. Both beautiful low-mile examples. I second-guess myself all the time......

Probably not what you want to hear, but replacements do help. Especially when you can day-dream of what the project will turn out to be.
Justinp71
Out of curiousity did the guy in Auburn buy it?
jfort
I sold a 73 911S about 10 years ago shortly after a divorce. I still regret it. I should have found a way to keep the car.
Zundfolge
I sold my 914 to my idiot brother a few years ago ... he in turn sold it to a mutual friend.

I didn't feel right until I bought it back ... of course things are starting to get a little tight and I may be selling the car again (my idiot brother is pestering me to sell the car back to him again).

My 914 is a little whore ain't she?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 7 2010, 01:07 PM) *

Out of curiousity did the guy in Auburn buy it?

No, Esses (or Scott) bought it. He lives in NY and seems like a very good guy. So I know he will take good care of it if the day comes for me to buy it back beerchug.gif .

Likely won't as I always have different projects but this car was the first I had ever made into a class winner.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ May 7 2010, 01:35 PM) *

I sold my 914 to my idiot brother a few years ago ... he in turn sold it to a mutual friend.

I didn't feel right until I bought it back ... of course things are starting to get a little tight and I may be selling the car again (my idiot brother is pestering me to sell the car back to him again).

My 914 is a little whore ain't she?

happy11.gif My wife called my car the dirty little whore. She complained that I spent a lot of time with it and came into the house smelling like it. Guess she doesn't like the smell of competition. lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
The feeling will never go away! sad.gif I sold my prized 1969 Dodge Super Bee 3 years ago. Every time I see one I get depressed. I did get top dollar for it, $50K. I bought a 914 to get me through it. Even though I don't want to buy a different one, the feeling of missing it never goes away. sad2.gif
J P Stein
I was done dickin' with it. No regrets......and I'll never do it again. Of course, if I hit the lotto I might reconsider. biggrin.gif
flat4tom
Well, as everyone has already said, it probably won't go away - at least until you get something just as cool to replace it.

I sold my '73 2.0 in 2005 to pay off some bills - not because I replaced it with something else. Never forgot it. That's why I bought it back from the guy I sold it to this last January!!

My garage is happy again! piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Regards,
Tom
Als914
I had mine before I married my wife and had kids so before I had to sell my '74..........??? It would be the last to go. Too many good times driving.gif , blood, sweat and tears headbang.gif to part with. After all, I am loyal to some things av-943.gif .
jmill
I've sold many project cars. The feeling never goes away. It gets better when you fill the void but you'll always miss the good ones.
tod914
Guess the key is not to hold onto them too long. My white 75 was still my favorite and most enjoyable. Mainly cause I had it eight years and put alot of time into it. That car seemed to offer the best of both worlds. Wasn't scared to drive it and it was a very good contender for local car shows. Seemed soon as it was completely sorted, a nicer car came up and I sold it. More than likely you'll always have sellers regret with one you like. But, there are so many choices for classic sport cars, that another one will soon fill the void.
smg914
Over the years I sold some very special cars including a superb 1970 911-S, a 1985 carrera with 3,600 miles, a 1973 914 2 liter that I bought new and a 1970 914-6 that I owned for 28 years. Selling each of these cars was very emotional. However, each time they were replaced by something better which significantly helped ease the pain.
hot_shoe914
If it will make you feel better I can send my Bee over there to fill the void temporarily and give you something to work on. Of course when you are done with her you are gonna have to give her back. beerchug.gif

Shoe
carr914
What's behind me is of no importance.

I've gotten rid of some very nice cars ( 57 Vette, SS396s, 69 911S, 88 911 Cab, lots of 914s & 6s), and I don't regret selling any of them. If I hit the Lotto, would I get some of the same cars, some yes.

Time Heals ( so does a new toy)
siverson
I miss my 1963 B Coupe I sold about 3 years ago. I shouldn't have sold it.

Or maybe I should have. It was a fairly rough but great mechanicals, and probably would have been $20k+ to make it really nice (I'm picky like that). I keep telling myself I'd be better off buying another already restored, but it was oslo blue / red interior - the best color combination for a 356 - and the car my [now] wife and I took on our first date. Sigh.

What's even more sad is the owner lives here in San Diego and I've seen it on the freeway a couple times. Once I pulled up next to him, in my 914, waving, and he didn't recognize me and thought I was a nutcase...

Poor Three. sad.gif
J P Stein
Jeeze guys, they are just cars. OK, so you put a lot of time, money & effort into it.......were it not for the car, you'd have put all that stuff into something else....I know how you are. biggrin.gif

I've built a lot of "stuff", some for myself & some for others.
You put a bit of yourself into any project and learn some good stuff. When you tire of one, you go to another.
The only time one should get upset is when the well runs dry and there's no more "self" to put out. I ain't there yet.
PeeGreen 914
Jeez JP. You old coot. May be a little different for you when you made your living pooring blood sweat and tears into your work. Most of us it is a hobby and only do this to our toys.

On a bright side, I have projects now thanks to Jeff piratenanner.gif
PanelBilly
Here's my view. It's never the product! The real enjoyment was the building and driving you did along the way and that part is going to be with you (and the kid) for the rest of your life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.