Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Shroud different years and unseen options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I have a 74 2.0 w/ stock fan shroud, also have a very sweet, very clean, looks new 76 2.0 fan shroud. Are they interchangeable? Also have found that type 4 fan shrouds can take a protective grill to keep out debris but have never seen this on a 914, nor asked .. are the protective grills useable or any drawbacks?? Thank you..
zonedoubt
Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
Funny , I was just at german supply (canada) looking at that pic, thanks ..
McMark
Yup, all the shrouds are set up to use that grill. I don't get to excited about them, but it's not like I'd pull it off a car that had one.
sean_v8_914
just had a customer fry his engine with a wad of TP in teh fan...I wish he had one of htese
Mark Henry
The screen is stock on a bus, I don't know if they clear the 914 tin. They also have a timing (quarter) ring.

On the shrouds they are interchangeable but only the 914 shroud has the screw in access plug and marked fan for setting the timing. Some later shrouds have bosses for an air pump.
McMark
The timing quarter ring isn't part of the grill. It's a secondary piece.

Bus fan shrouds also have the dipstick hole/tube.
realred914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 7 2010, 03:21 PM) *

I have a 74 2.0 w/ stock fan shroud, also have a very sweet, very clean, looks new 76 2.0 fan shroud. Are they interchangeable? Also have found that type 4 fan shrouds can take a protective grill to keep out debris but have never seen this on a 914, nor asked .. are the protective grills useable or any drawbacks?? Thank you..

Yes install a fan screen, Have had one on my and friends cars since 15 year ago. take one off a VW bus. very smart to add, keeps a lot of crap out of the cooling system. leaves and other debreis get sucked inside and clog up the cylinder/heads cooling fins, and larger debries will clog the fan itself. this screen protects aginst that.

I highly recommned install on all 914's of this screen, simply a bolt on thing, fits fine.

yes any 914 fan shroud will work, there maybe some slight differences.

i had a very early 914 (built Nov 1969) it had NO evaporation system, hence no hose hook up on the fan shoroud. very rare indeed, as factory made all USA cars with this system (excpet mine!!!!) I had no can on the gas tank, nor pipes in the drivers rocker, no holes for them either. factory letter confirmed my car was for the US market, but suggested that mine was a europeon model that got accidently tagged at the factory as a USA spec car!!!! fun fun fun
BigDBass
Does the engine need to be out to install the fan cover? I have one in my stash from some "while I'm in there" busdepot.com order but forgot about it.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 8 2010, 10:17 AM) *

Does the engine need to be out to install the fan cover? I have one in my stash from some "while I'm in there" busdepot.com order but forgot about it.

Dan, I do not think so but it is blind and slightly tight reach over the top, I like I said have 2 fan shrouds, and reach over the one currently installed in my car and could feel the 3 screws placements for the grill, appears to be an easy fit. I ordered one to install, does not seem like you would get alot inside that area but I find leaves, flowers ect.. that fall in from where I work on my car in the shade of the tree.. shade tree mechanic..
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 8 2010, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 7 2010, 03:21 PM) *

Yes install a fan screen, Have had one on my and friends cars since 15 year ago. take one off a VW bus. very smart to add, keeps a lot of crap out of the cooling system. leaves and other debreis get sucked inside and clog up the cylinder/heads cooling fins, and larger debries will clog the fan itself. this screen protects aginst that.

I highly recommned install on all 914's of this screen, simply a bolt on thing, fits fine.

yes any 914 fan shroud will work, there maybe some slight differences.

i had a very early 914 (built Nov 1969) it had NO evaporation system, hence no hose hook up on the fan shoroud. very rare indeed, as factory made all USA cars with this system (excpet mine!!!!) I had no can on the gas tank, nor pipes in the drivers rocker, no holes for them either. factory letter confirmed my car was for the US market, but suggested that mine was a europeon model that got accidently tagged at the factory as a USA spec car!!!! fun fun fun

Second the debris that gets to the fins on the top of the cylinder heads, last time, the first time I had the tin off to install rebuilt heads the junk/gunk was like gutter dirt and before I bought my car it was garaged 12 years.. kinda like what gets under your couch..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.