Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painted my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
Just painted my 914,, how long should I wait to paint my 914? what about wax... should it be done by hand or machine... any feedback appreciated
Before Paint
Click to view attachment

and After
Click to view attachment
SLITS
I was always told 2 weeks. I have no scientific proof ... just what I was told.
messix
depends on the paint and process....

i woundn't wax for many months, but wash after a week or so.
jmill
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

How can you tease us like that. Let's see it! biggrin.gif
corsepervita
QUOTE(messix @ May 7 2010, 07:41 PM) *

depends on the paint and process....

i woundn't wax for many months, but wash after a week or so.

i was told the same thing after my ducati was painted, so it has the full chance to sit and cure without anything interfering with it. wash is fine, etc, no wax or chemicals for a while.
messix
just about every high end show car or restoration paint job will not use wax, polish yes maybe but never wax.
IronHillRestorations
If it's nice and smooth, and shiney I'd wait until water doesn't bead up on the paint.
recko911
I will add some pics tomorrow after I wash it then,,, its been about 2 weeks since I painted it.... car looks great, hopefully It can make car of the month... so polish is the way to go?
messix
QUOTE(recko911 @ May 7 2010, 08:06 PM) *

I will add some pics tomorrow after I wash it then,,, its been about 2 weeks since I painted it.... car looks great, hopefully It can make car of the month... so polish is the way to go?

yep
messix
QUOTE(messix @ May 7 2010, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(recko911 @ May 7 2010, 08:06 PM) *

yep

only if it needs some cutting, to take out any imperfections.

don't put anything on it if doesn't need any corrections. just leave it for a couple of months [you park it in a garage right? if not in a garage then under some cover out of the direct sun] the paint still has a lot of volatiles that will be gassing out and you don't want any thing to alter that until it's done. it could cause problems later in finish consistancy and color.

i'm not a painter but this is what i remember from the old blind in one eye and color blind in the other auto body old fart that i knew once.
recko911
Should I then wash with a car wash liquid with wax or polish... the so called 2 in 1 car wash?
rick 918-S
All depends on the type of finish. Urothane= chemically cured in a day regardless of the conditions. I would never use anything but mild soap designed for automotive finishes. No two step stuff. Check Mcguires product line there are many products designed for use on what ever paint you used.

BTW: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
messix
just use meguires basic car wash.

do not use the wash and wax or wash with sillycone crap.

just a simple cars and then when water doesn't bead use a polish.

keep the car stored in side out of the sun and the uv won't cook the paint to chalk.
nowlings
QUOTE(recko911 @ May 7 2010, 07:25 PM) *

Just painted my 914,, how long should I wait to paint my 914? what about wax... should it be done by hand or machine... any feedback appreciated

I work for an automotive paint company; you are ok to wax if you want after approx 30 days provided the paint was applied following the paint manufacturers technical data sheet. No need to use all of the fancy wash products with "shine enhancers, etc. just use a good car wash soap, maybe some polish or compound to remove any minor blemishes and have fun.

good luck!
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(nowlings @ May 7 2010, 11:29 PM) *

QUOTE(recko911 @ May 7 2010, 07:25 PM) *

I work for an automotive paint company; you are ok to wax if you want after approx 30 days provided the paint was applied following the paint manufacturers technical data sheet. No need to use all of the fancy wash products with "shine enhancers, etc. just use a good car wash soap, maybe some polish or compound to remove any minor blemishes and have fun.

good luck!

This.

When I worked for the body shop we were instructed by the paint company to inform customers not to wax their car for at least 30 days. Washing is fine but make sure to use a good mild soap. Meguiars crystal clear is great. Also use a super soft wooly mitt that will trap the dirt instead of dragging it across the fresh paint. It's so much easier to create swirl marks when the paint is still fresh.

The reason for not waxing the paint is to allow the solvents to fully breathe their way out of the paint. Even though the paint fully cures within a day or two the solvents take up to a month to fully evaporate and sealing them in prematurely can shorten the lifespan of the paint and reduce the luster
recko911
I'm going to head on over to pep boys this morning and buy some products to wash my car... I see Mcguires is pretty good,, I'm going to then be a litte conservative and use some basic soap.... but in regards to drying the vehicle? I hear chamois are not that good to dry the finish... what do you guyz think
nowlings
QUOTE(recko911 @ May 8 2010, 08:41 AM) *

I'm going to head on over to pep boys this morning and buy some products to wash my car... I see Mcguires is pretty good,, I'm going to then be a litte conservative and use some basic soap.... but in regards to drying the vehicle? I hear chamois are not that good to dry the finish... what do you guyz think

Personally I use "the absorber" which is a synthetic chamois. You can get that at the pep. Chamois works ok, but they are expensive. Just make sure whatever you use is clean. I am assuming you used base coat clear coat for your paint selection so you should be fine.

Cheers
jimkelly
: )
recko911
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Just washed it today for the first time

recko911
What do you guyz think.... possible future car of the month?.... The color is Speed Yellow.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Very nice. The finish looks very flat. (smooth) good job.
detoxcowboy
Like it!! Very nice!! God color choice!! Is that a factory color?
PRS914-6
No disrespect to other posters but I would be REALLY careful with new paint. Only use clean micro fiber towels of good quality. Never use fabric softener when you wash them. I run an extra "pre wash" cycle when I wash them and an extra rinse. One piece of grit in a towel can be a disaster!

Polishing or washing the car soon after a paint job will scratch the paint. The towels will scratch it!!!! There is a big difference between being "cured" and being "scratch resistant"

If there are splattered bugs on the paint lay a warm soft towel on them until they spray off easily. A bug in your towel will scratch the paint

Never use circular motions on the paint, wipe front to back softly. Critical to avoid spider webbing in dark colors.

I rarely use water but instead use lots of micro fiber towels and Meguiar detail spray as it has some lubricating qualities and frequently use 10 towels or more for a clean up. I fold the towel, make 2 wipes, rotate the towel several times and toss it. I'm always using a clean portion of the towel against the paint with minimal pressure. On very rare occasions I'll use my high pressure washer (on low pressure) first for a very quick spray down to get gritty stuff off.

For now I would use Meguiar New Paint detail spray and to the extent possible avoid contact for 60 days or more if in a cold climate.

My comments are based on detailing my black paint. Here is my finish recently taken by Lake Tahoe a full two years after painting and many many detailings. Still no spider webbing....

Click to view attachment
recko911
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 9 2010, 06:59 AM) *

Like it!! Very nice!! God color choice!! Is that a factory color?

The color is called speed yellow,, a porsche yellow for the twin turbo carrera... the paint job came out really nice
McMark
recko911 - BEAUTIFUL!!! drooley.gif wub.gif
toon1
I just finished painting my car. The paint distributer suggested to cut and buff it within 48hrs.

The paint/clear is still soft and removing scratches is easier.

I waited 6 weeks. The clear coat was fully cured. cutting and buffing it took a long time.

Jacob
What type of paint did you use? Polyurethane?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 9 2010, 12:28 PM) *

I just finished painting my car. The paint distributer suggested to cut and buff it within 48hrs.

I waited 6 weeks. The clear coat was fully cured. cutting and buffing it took a long time.

Most painters will do exactly as you mentioned. My comments above assume that the cutting and buffing has already been done and the car delivered to the customer. Your comments certainly confirm the point of discussion. It starts soft and in 6 weeks the paint is a lot harder and doesn't scratch as easily.

recko911....who did the body work? it looks very straight.....hard to find that these days
scotty b
Pauls advise on the micro fiber towels is spot on. they will scratch the paint if you use it improperly. Do not use much pressure at all, and buy GOOD towels, not the el - cheapos from Advance. I will also second Meguirs quick detail for the wipe down. It is all I use. Wet sanding and buffing should be done within 2-3 days after paint has been applied for EASIEST results. OInce the clear has set up it is much harder to get it slick. ALso on single stage it is even MORE important to get rightr on it. I wet sand and buff single stage within 24 hours. It sets quicker and harder.
porschecb
Did you paint the car? Or did someone else paint it? If you did the people who supplied the paint would know best. confused24.gif idea.gif shades.gif
recko911
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 9 2010, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ May 9 2010, 12:28 PM) *

Most painters will do exactly as you mentioned. My comments above assume that the cutting and buffing has already been done and the car delivered to the customer. Your comments certainly confirm the point of discussion. It starts soft and in 6 weeks the paint is a lot harder and doesn't scratch as easily.

recko911....who did the body work? it looks very straight.....hard to find that these days

I did some of the body work,, but the final touches where made by 1 day paint and body.... I found this great location in torrance,.. they do great work there and they have an awesome painter... this location charged me $968 to paint my vehicle...
silver74insocal
gorgeous dude chowtime.gif
recko911
beerchug.gif

THANKS GUYZ for the compliments
recko911
QUOTE(Jacob @ May 9 2010, 03:09 PM) *

What type of paint did you use? Polyurethane?

I am not sure?
charliew
Your car looks nice in the pictures. Did the shop do the masking? I am surprised you didn't know the type or brand of paint and paid 968 for the job. If the paint type wasn't specified, it is probably acrylic enamel without clear. If it is store it out of the sun. If it's urethane you got a good deal. I don't use a pressure washer on my cars except maybe in the engine compartment. It really works on the edges of the paint and forces stuff in the cracks.

My idea of the term spyderwebbing is what happens to fg after it's old and has been flexed too much. I've had good luck just using old bath towels and diswashing soap but usually just use water and soak the bugs with wet towels.
913B
I did some of the body work,, but the final touches where made by 1 day paint and body.... I found this great location in torrance,.. they do great work there and they have an awesome painter... this location charged me $968 to paint my vehicle...
[/quote]

Wow, very nice paint job, the 1 day off Western Ave close by the AMF bowling place ?

I will be on the lookout for your car if you come down to the South Bay biggrin.gif
recko911
[quote name='porsche913b_sp' date='May 12 2010, 03:45 PM' post='1317452']
[/quote]

Wow, very nice paint job, the 1 day off Western Ave close by the AMF bowling place ?

I will be on the lookout for your car if you come down to the South Bay biggrin.gif
[/quote]

the location is 13900 S Western Ave Gardena, CA ,,, western ave and 139 st

Does anybody know where I can purchase a good car cover? what should I look for in a car cover?
recko911

Does anybody know where I can purchase a good car cover? what should I look for in a car cover?
Cheapsnake
When I read your title, "Just painted my car", followed by "Where can I find a good car cover", this didn't sound like a good outcome, but the pictures sure dispel that notion. Looks Great!

As for car covers, California Car Cover is the gold standard - get your wallet out.

Tom
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(recko911 @ May 14 2010, 04:58 PM) *

blink.gif I would be cautious of using a car cover for now, they can screw up paint jobs, I would hate to see that happen.. same goes for bra's or anything of the like..
KELTY360
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 14 2010, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(recko911 @ May 14 2010, 04:58 PM) *

blink.gif I would be cautious of using a car cover for now, they can screw up paint jobs, I would hate to see that happen.. same goes for bra's or anything of the like..

agree.gif Is the car garaged or left outside. If it's outside I wouldn't cover it. I have had poor results even with top end covers. Keep it clean and once some time has passed you can protect it with wax. It's a sorry feeling to take a car cover off and see that your paint has bubbled underneath.
recko911

agree.gif Is the car garaged or left outside. If it's outside I wouldn't cover it. I have had poor results even with top end covers. Keep it clean and once some time has passed you can protect it with wax. It's a sorry feeling to take a car cover off and see that your paint has bubbled underneath.
[/quote]

Wow I didn't know your paint can get damaged by using a car cover... My car is not stored in the garage so most of the day its under direct sunlight... I was thinking to buy a car cover to protect it from the sun.. but from what you guys are saying thats not a good idea. I would hate for my paint job to go to waste... thanks guys for the advice.... I will just have to keep it waxed and clean..
detoxcowboy
[quote name='recko911' date='May 14 2010, 08:07 PM' post='1318468']
[/quote]

Wow I didn't know your paint can get damaged by using a car cover... My car is not stored in the garage so most of the day its under direct sunlight... I was thinking to buy a car cover to protect it from the sun.. but from what you guys are saying thats not a good idea. I would hate for my paint job to go to waste... thanks guys for the advice.... I will just have to keep it waxed and clean..
[/quote]

in all honesty, even 4 year old paint can get scratched up or worse from a car cover, moisture trapping and dirt gets underneath eventually which can scratch, taking it on pulling it off.. there is one cover that is worth keeping sun out of your interior and water out of you engine and cabin that i use sparingly (heavy rain or heat wave), the only paint it touches is the portion is around the front windshield, It is custom only for the 914, it ios called the Sunbrella and is only available from a 914 world member whom had them made. Check the vendors section.. But even now I would not use that one yet.. I do appreciate the fact you love your new paint job and want to keep it nice. let it cure itself for now..
recko911
ar15.gif

Where can I purchase that car cover advertised here?
oldschool
QUOTE(recko911 @ May 22 2010, 03:10 PM) *

ar15.gif

Very nice ride, what part of L.A.? It seems to me that we have a few lovers of the 914 here in L.A.
veltror
beerchug.gif Speed yellow !!!! I am thinking of painting mine speed yellow, do you have any pictures of it in the Sun, I am really interested in what it looks like compared to sunflower yellow....

great paintjob !!

Roman smilie_pokal.gif
recko911
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 22 2010, 11:17 PM) *

QUOTE(recko911 @ May 22 2010, 03:10 PM) *

ar15.gif

Very nice ride, what part of L.A.? It seems to me that we have a few lovers of the 914 here in L.A.

I live in Norwalk...
recko911
QUOTE(veltror @ May 23 2010, 03:31 AM) *

beerchug.gif Speed yellow !!!! I am thinking of painting mine speed yellow, do you have any pictures of it in the Sun, I am really interested in what it looks like compared to sunflower yellow....

great paintjob !!

Roman smilie_pokal.gif

I'll take some pics in the sun,,so you guys can check it out.
veltror
excellent we dont get sun in the UK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.