Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the heck happened?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
OK, I was prepping my car for WCR, mainly just changing the oil and removing the thermostat. Everything went beautifully smooth, hop back in the car and let it roar to life... piratenanner.gif Then I go to to put it in first...grind, grind....what the heck, tried second gear, grind, grind. WTF.gif So I sit there a minute and start thinking of all the possible causes....then a sudden grin of stupidity flashed before me biggrin.gif as I realized the problem. I had been driving my little red 914 automatic for the last couple of months, not the V8 teener....well have you guessed my temporary lapse into ignorance...yep, I WASN"T USING THE CLUTCH. Boy did I feel stupid.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 8 2010, 01:01 PM) *

OK, I was prepping my car for WCR, mainly just changing the oil and removing the thermostat. Everything went beautifully smooth, hop back in the car and let it roar to life... piratenanner.gif Then I go to to put it in first...grind, grind....what the heck, tried second gear, grind, grind. WTF.gif So I sit there a minute and start thinking of all the possible causes....then a sudden grin of stupidity flashed before me biggrin.gif as I realized the problem. I had been driving my little red 914 automatic for the last couple of months, not the V8 teener....well have you guessed my temporary lapse into ignorance...yep, I WASN"T USING THE CLUTCH. Boy did I feel stupid.

LOL! It's important to have an accurate self-image!!! lol-2.gif
plymouth37
HAHAHA, Been there, My wife and I each have identical Subarus except mine is a stick and hers is an auto. I can not tell you how many times I have slammed on the brakes of her car thinking I was going for the clutch in mine.
Drums66
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 8 2010, 02:01 PM) *

....well have you guessed my temporary lapse into ignorance...yep, I WASN"T USING THE CLUTCH.

Actually I thought your clutch cable bbbbroke.......glad it was more petty!
poke.gif poke.gif yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif
Spoke
Nice fix - just press the clutch in!!
Tom_T
Back in the late 70's I had an ex-GF who swore she knew how to drive a stick & "....I [she] drove my [her] ex-boyfriends 912 all the time!" smile.gif

Well I was hurtin-fur-certain after a 2 day 8 match/game Rugby Tourney in Santa Barbara, so I finally acquiesced to let her drive it for awhile. All was okay until traffic was stopped ahead on the 101 into LA, & she starts pumping the clutch for all she was worth - thinking it was the brakes! new_shocked.gif

As soon as I realized that she wasn't gettin it - from the passenger seat & knocked it out of gear & reached over with my left foot to work the brake & took the wheel to steer it from the left lane into the center median barely missing the car stopped ahead & just clipped off the right front side marker lens! blink.gif Whew!!!!

That time I was happy that the DAPO had removed the Center Console to make driving from the passenger seat a little easier! dry.gif

I suppose everybody gets "pedal challenged" at some point - with me it's usually footin' for the non-existent clutch pedal in my wife's 88 Westy automatic when I haven't driven it for awhile!
nathantheyeager
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 8 2010, 01:01 PM) *

*facepalm*
underthetire
Ya, don't feel too bad. When I first got my car, it stopped running a couple blocks from my house. Light car, I can push it. Anyways, got to the entrance to my court, which is at the top of a small hill. Rolled the car and hopped in, but not all the way, kinda sitting sideways in the seat. Everything is going ok, except i'm sweating like a pig ant totally out of breath from the push. Until I get to my driveway. Yep, push in clutch petal instead of brake. Right through the garage door.
djporsche
One time i thought my clutch had went out, rolled backwards down a hill ( in traffic ) but i still had it pushed in. HAHA I was 16 in my first super beetle.
Root_Werks
slap.gif
PeeGreen 914
lol-2.gif DOH headbang.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.