Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electronic ignition types
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
How hard to install, how has it worked out for you, was it worth it, and what do you do for spares (in case of failure on the road)? Points/condenser or complete dizzy?
Thanks,
Tom
70_914
QUOTE(Tom @ May 8 2010, 05:37 PM) *

How hard to install, how has it worked out for you, was it worth it, and what do you do for spares (in case of failure on the road)? Points/condenser or complete dizzy?
Thanks,
Tom

In all my aircooled VW's I use 009 distributors, MSD or Bosch blue coils and Pertronix Electronics. Very easy to install, very proven. Tried a Jacobs box but it stranded me after burning up. Oh, and epoxy filled coils, not oil filled- learned that one the hard way.

Spares? Nah....

Never needed them. biggrin.gif

Had to buy a new coil at the swap meet that mine failed on the way to, hotwired the Jacobs and got it running. Was even able to force the plug that came out while driving back in and get home.
detoxcowboy
Crane Fireball xr700, no spares no issues 2 years, no special dizzy ect.. small black box with german flag colored wiring, oh, not concourse, i know you, you want both.. Call AA ask about it in more detail they carry it..

Here is a discussion I found at 914 world re: elec. ign. petronixI vs. petronix II, crane, Mallory etc..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear
Grelber
Plus one on the Crane XR700 with the Crane hot coil. No problems in 2+ years, smooth idle and great power thru all revs. No spares, etc. (AAA Premium, but never had to use it). Under an hour to install.
underthetire
Compu-Fire. Drops right in. No problems.
Tom
Detox,
No not concerned with concours, looking for a reliable update.
Thanks,
Tom
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Tom @ May 8 2010, 07:58 PM) *

Detox,
Thanks,
Tom

Sorry about that, thought you were concoursed in your restoration from the orginality and history section.. I see a CHT gauge in your future biggrin.gif
soundcatcher
Velleman K2543

ELECTRONIC TRANSISTOR IGNITION KIT

No condenser. Uses points as a switch so virtually no wear. You still have to set your points and timing but runs as good if not better than pertronix or compufire and if it dies you just put a condenser back on and carry on driving. Don't forget with a pertronix fitted and a pertronix coil you can't just swap out the dizzy parts for a stock set as the uprated coil won't work. So carrying spares for that can be heavy and costly!

We've got it running on our '65 bus and it doesn't miss a beat. Oh and we've got it running on a vac advanced dizzy so no flat spots unlike you 009 users Lol.
markb
Crane XR700
qa1142
ok
So I have been reading all this ignition threads too

So to get multi-spark and drop points on DJet...

You would have to do something like both a XR700 and MSD 6AL?

Thoughts?

W
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(qa1142 @ May 9 2010, 05:38 AM) *

ok

Thoughts?

W

"So to get multi-spark and drop points on DJet..." I do not know what multi spark
and drop point is or why you would want it. But the answer is for the crane/alliison xr700 you only need the xr700 nothing else to work with the djet, you can their other
products but it is not necessary..
realred914
pertronix, nearly 20 years of perfect running, yes I keep the old points and capacitor in the car, but never had to use them. great product.
70_914
QUOTE(qa1142 @ May 9 2010, 05:38 AM) *

ok

Thoughts?

W

The XR700 uses an optical pickup instead of points, and then uses its own electronic ignition "box" that you need to mount outside under the hood, a lot like the Jacobs ignition that I hate. The Pertronix is hall effect floating magnet, and does not have a box so you just drop in the Pertronix and there is nothing external. Only practical benefit I can see for the XR700 is that if you leave your key on because you want to listen to your stereo or are a little slow and forget it is on it won't be damaged. The pertronix would be. Of course, your stock coil and points would also be damaged, so this doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

There are a few generic versions of the 6A/6AL boxes out there, but yes they do the multi-spark (MSD = Multiple Spark Discharge) You would run a 6AL if you wanted a "hard" rev limiter built in, the 6A if you didn't need that feature and wanted to save some coin.

After being the victim of a stuck throttle cable and nearly blowing up a bug before I could shut it down, I would recommend stepping up and getting the 6AL.

Personal choice is all it comes down to. Pertronix is the quickest, easiest and has the fewest parts. You can run it stand-alone with your stock coil, you can run it with an after market coil, you can run it with aftermarket coil and MSD box.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 8 2010, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ May 8 2010, 07:58 PM) *

Detox,
Thanks,
Tom

Sorry about that, thought you were concoursed in your restoration from the orginality and history section.. I see a CHT gauge in your future biggrin.gif

Actaully , a day later egg on my face, I just realized your not the TOM (TomT) that I thought your were, Tom T comments everywhere and is a concourse oriented member.. excuse me Tom, Joe

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.