Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track Loud is Too Loud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
My muffler is too damn loud! It's supposed to be a Bursch, but it more closely resembles the Sebring muffler on Pelican's site - that is, the muffler is welded, not bolted on. The system is probably ten years or older and I have a feeling the muffler was loud to start with and through aging has just gotten louder. It's track loud.

Is it possible to just go to a muffler shop and have a larger free-flow muffler installed that would be quiet? Or is free-flow and quiet just a catch-22? Or is there simply not enough space under the car for a large enough muffler that would make a difference?

A stock muffler is out of the question unless you have one you'd like to give me laugh.gif

How quiet is a Bursch exhaust anyway? Are they pretty quiet? Are there other alternatives - quieter alternatives that don't cost the equivalent of a set of Fuchs?

Between new Webers and Hoosiers my budget is a little stressed. Can Midas help me or am I only dreaming?

My 914 is a 2.0L with Webers & mild cam. I'm setting this car up for autocrossing.
Mueller
I don't think the Bursch is all that bad.....that is what I have.

Do think some of the noise could be from the Webers??
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 7 2003, 10:35 PM)
I don't think the Bursch is all that bad.....that is what I have.

Do think some of the noise could be from the Webers??

Ha! I got rid of the 48IDAs! Now I just have the little 44IDFs. Sounds like a little car vacumn cleaner in comparison. <_<

I just don't have that much experience listening to 914s. I've heard two stories - that Bursch's are pretty mellow and that they're louder than hell. So I'm perplexed.
Brad Roberts
At one point in time... Bursch had two setups. One was Fiberglass packed and blew out over time (making it louder) The other is/was steel packed.

B
Dave Cawdrey
There are a couple styles of Bursch, right? Oval and glass-pack thin style, IIRC.

What yers look like, joseph?

EDIT: Pretty damn quick, huh? Only a minute behind B laugh.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(korijo @ Apr 7 2003, 10:51 PM)
There are a couple styles of Bursch, right? Oval and glass-pack thin style, IIRC.

What yers look like, joseph?

EDIT: Pretty damn quick, huh? Only a minute behind B laugh.gif

If you look at the Bursch image on the Pelican site you will notice that there are two little fat swollen sections plus the typical oval can style muffler. Mine do not have the little fat sections and the muffler is welded, not bolted as the Bursch. Mine looks like the "Sebring" that is also listed on the site. It's like a 100.00 muffler system.
Brad Roberts
Corey should be able to get a Bursch for you. He can buy direct from Bursch. They normally run 189.00 or so. They work well.

B
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 7 2003, 11:27 PM)
Corey should be able to get a Bursch for you. He can buy direct from Bursch. They normally run 189.00 or so. They work well.

B

That's not so bad a cost. I'll check with him. Since you know Corey, do you happen to know Ralph or Rusty Persun (Porsche Guys)?
ChrisFoley
I have a used Bursch that came off a 2.0 car. I'll send it to you if you donate $80 to the Korijo fund for it.
I can post a pic tomorrow.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 8 2003, 12:23 AM)
I have a used Bursch that came off a 2.0 car. I'll send it to you if you donate $80 to the Korijo fund for it.
I can post a pic tomorrow.

Chris,
That's very generous of you. How about if I donate 100.00 and pay for shipping?

A pic would be fine if possible (it needs to have 4 in).
ChrisFoley
I'm sorry Joseph,

I got you all excited for nothing. I went to the garage and looked at it this morning. The muffler is welded on, so it's not a Bursch after all. Sebring I guess, like the one you already don't want. sad.gif
Aaron Cox
Heya! I got a bursch on my 2L. but...also running w/ weber 44 idf's. is pretty loud when the targa is off and at full throttle. Gets pretty darn throaty. My muff is the steel one, not the glasspack version. I like it a lot...no complaints biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.