Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience with e-Bay Buyer Protection ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
I won an auction for a set of 4, 14" alloys last month. I sent the seller a Moneygram at his request, since I don't use PayPal.
We were in contact a few times and he said he would get the tires dismounted and send the wheels. After 2 weeks, I started e-mailing asking for tracking #s and he said he would try to find the receipt.
Then nothing....
I opened a Claim with e-Bay and they say I'm covered by their "Buyer Protection"
Anyone have any experience with this ??
I think I'm out 300.00

Oh, yeah.. the guy had perfect feedback 37 Positives.. No negatives..

Guess I'll have to wait to see, as they give him 7 days to respond..

Click to view attachment

detoxcowboy
I do not know how it works with sending "money orders" ect. . But if you use paypal they will refund the money to you everytime no matter how small your complaint as long as you return the item, and especially if you never recieve it.. You can call ebay yourself which is what i would do rather than be processed blindly, get a representative on the phone, threaten to open a legal case which you can do by the way , anything over $500 is a felony, and since its "mail" it is a federal crime.. at least threaten the seller that is what your doing.. and do it ..

How it works?

If the seller cannot provide a tracking # showing proof he sent the item then the buyer wins the claim, even if he really sent it. But if he can he wins weather you
actually recieved it or not. Has to be sent to your registered address for the transaction.
zonedoubt
Get his phone number through eBay and call him.
Seems pretty cheap for the set of rims,What kind of condition are they in??
Good luck,hope you get your $ back...
gandalf_025
Well, as I pretty much expected, e-Bay bagged out without doing anything.
I found out that this guy not only got me, but he had a second Auction a few days later for 6-7" 15" fuchs that a guy won and paid by PayPal but never got. He got a refund from PayPal though.

e-Bay did give me this place to file a Claim

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C),
and the Bureau of Justice Assistance
(BJA).

I also contacted the Police in the Sellers Jurisdiction. In Massachusetts, over 200.00 theft is a Felony. but I'm not sure in Minnesota.

I really doubt anything will come out of it besides I lose 309.00, But I'll play the game and see what happens. Funny, But e-Bay hasn't even suspended the guy yet ??

I have never used PayPal, since I don't give my Credit Card info out on-line..
this time, it seems like it has bit me though.

Anyone here live near Stillwater Montana ??

charliew
One of the times I got ripped using paypal was on a canadian deal and customs may have been the culprit but anyway the crook took the funds and ran. I got nothing. 240.00 for two 915 shifters to spidergear@gmail.com. Also when I did get refunds on other deals of course paypal kept their share both ways. I still only use paypal though for mostly everything. I've decided that if I buy enough stuff it comes to about 1 screwing every 20 buys. I don't gamble much on low volume sellers.
RJMII
Stillwater Montana is 2.5 - 3 hours north of me. Why's that?

You've mentioned Minnesota, Massachusetts and Montana now...
mk114
ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gifar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I'll dig the hole!!
gandalf_025
My Bad.. I'm in Massachusetts..
Seller is in Stillwater Minnesota..

I screw up those abbreviations all the time.. Mn, and Mo.. Sorry.
turboman808
I just paid for an item I expect the seller not to send so I hope paypal gets my money back.

$800 lens with no reserve and i won it for $61.
JamesM
I used to work for ebay in their fruad investigation dept and if there is one point i cant stress enough it is to ALWAYS pay with paypal. That is pretty much the only way to guarentee that you wont be taken. Be very suspicious of any seller that does not accept paypal and even more suspicious if they only accept wire transfers. Anytime you mail someone a money order or use a wire transfer the moeny is out of the hands of anyone that could possibly do anything about it, with paypal ebay has control of the money on both sides of the transaction so if something goes bad with a deal they can easily undo it. It does take a good deal of personl information to secure a paypal account however this is a good thing as it means its MUCH easier to hold someone accountable. Feedback means nothing if you are dealing with a seller whos account has been compermised, and getting personal information from ebay in that case is just as useless because the person you mailed the check to is not going to be the person you are calling.

Again, with ebay use paypal, it is the safest way.

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 9 2010, 04:00 AM) *

I won an auction for a set of 4, 14" alloys last month. I sent the seller a Moneygram at his request, since I don't use PayPal.
We were in contact a few times and he said he would get the tires dismounted and send the wheels. After 2 weeks, I started e-mailing asking for tracking #s and he said he would try to find the receipt.
Then nothing....
I opened a Claim with e-Bay and they say I'm covered by their "Buyer Protection"
Anyone have any experience with this ??
I think I'm out 300.00

Oh, yeah.. the guy had perfect feedback 37 Positives.. No negatives..

Guess I'll have to wait to see, as they give him 7 days to respond..

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.