Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interior backpad refurb questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Today I crawled up into the attic and pulled down two interior backpads that came with my roller. They both are black and for the most part both are fairly solid. I removed all the screws and separated all the pieces. I've started gluing the cardboard/pressboard where there is separation. I will continue to do this until I get all pieces as solid as I think they should be. Has anyone ever covered these items in fiberglass to make them stronger ? Or brushed on polyurethane or something else ? I want to get this all done before handing over to an interior shop to have them recovered. Any pictures or suggestions you guys have done are appreciated.
rick 918-S
Morph makes a repop from fibre glas.
realred914
urathane or simular makes sence to help water proof them paper board parts, specially near the floor. that is a very very good idea, I am embarised I did not think of that for my self. good idea actually!!!!!!

make darn sure you rear window is fully sealed to keep water out of that spot!!!!

nice idea!!!!!!!!!!
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 9 2010, 09:50 AM) *

urathane or simular makes sence to help water proof them paper board parts, specially near the floor. that is a very very good idea, I am embarised I did not think of that for my self. good idea actually!!!!!!

make darn sure you rear window is fully sealed to keep water out of that spot!!!!

nice idea!!!!!!!!!!

So you agree poly would be good to keep water out ( if any ) and will probably make it stronger also. My rear window was glued in last year by a glass pro so no leaking there.
realred914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 9 2010, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ May 9 2010, 09:50 AM) *

nice idea!!!!!!!!!!

So you agree poly would be good to keep water out ( if any ) and will probably make it stronger also. My rear window was glued in last year by a glass pro so no leaking there.

yup, I'd avoid doing fiber glass as that will stiffen it a good deal, and may make it so it wont fit right. the paper board even with a water proffing will still remina near as flexable as stock. if you do glass over your paper board, best to make sure it is the exact shape you want it to be before teh glass takes on a set as it cures. that would be the "trick" in making a fiberglass part or covering the stock part, making it lay just right in the car.
Mike Bellis
You could buy some marine penitration grade resin. Mix it and it will soak into the fiber board making it stiffer without extra thickness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.