Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacement clutch cables
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Bought a new Gemo clutch cable about a year ago, finally put it in 2-3 months ago. Last week I noticed it seemed to take way more force than needed to operate the clutch pedal. Upon removing the cable, I found the plastic liner balled up and starting to come off. I removed the plastic sheath and lubed the cable, and put it back in to try. Butter now, no real force required. Before I buy another cable, just wanted to see if it was a fluke or has anyone else had this problem?

Drums66
People say not to........I always lube them first.
oh well!.....it's debatable? popcorn[1].gif stirthepot.gif

P.S. silicone(aircraft grade)
Tom_T
The plastic liner (teflon?) is actually the "lube" -

Did you check to see what was binding on the cable to make it ball up?
... something grabbed/chaffed on that cable to peel that stuff off, so if left unresolved, the next thing will be to eat through the cable itself & no amount of grease nor silly-cone spray lubricant will "fix" that!. dry.gif

It could be that the clutch tube broke loose & it's moving around as you use the clutch caused the chaffing. Look at both the firewall & in the tunnel by the shifter to see if it's loose. It's a common problem in 914s, & there was a topic here in the Garage on fixing it within the last couple of weeks. BTW - it you can move the tube around at the firewall, then both F&R welds have broken loose, if not then you still need to check the front one in front of the shifter.

Also make sure you have a good ground strap & connections from the transaxle to the chassis (up under the rear trunk), as long as you're trouble shooting this problem.
Spoke
I had a clutch cable last a little over a year before it broke.

The cable seemed a little long and had a bit of a loop and it wore out right there. Tell-tail sign was needing to adjust the cable once or twice a week.
blitZ
I never used that brand. I always use Terry cables without any problems.
'73-914kid
Yup, I have a terry throttle and clutch cable in my car, and both are top notch. No problems with lubing Gemo cables, or any of the other mess that seems to occur from non-terry cables
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.