Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tank paint color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
realred914
does anyone have data as too when the 914 came with dark black verses a dark grey gas tank color??? I have seen enough 914 tanks to know there are at least two colors used on the tanks, but have yet to determine when the colors changed or if they cahnged many times during production

any ideas on this?
who else has noticed this and what years of cars?????? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 10 2010, 11:09 AM) *

does anyone have data as too when the 914 came with dark black verses a dark grey gas tank color??? I have seen enough 914 tanks to know there are at least two colors used on the tanks, but have yet to determine when the colors changed or if they cahnged many times during production

any ideas on this?
who else has noticed this and what years of cars?????? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

Two different colors???????? Really??????????? Capt'n Krusty???
Mike Bellis
My 71 had a black tank.
My 73 has a black tank.
detoxcowboy
I have had a few tanks, never seen a grey one...always black..
TheCabinetmaker
Three colors: black, black, and black. stirthepot.gif
tod914
I can't speak for the 6 tanks here, but Pat Garvey, an original owner of a 72 has the black-grey L41 paint code tank. I just sent him out a can I purchased from Wolfsburg west to see how close of a match it is. My 73 has the satin black tank. The duplicolor engine enamel low gloss black is a very close match. If you want it to be a touch shinnier, try their semi gloss black. I touched up two original tanks with the low gloss black. Blended in very nice. I baked it on with heat lamps and by sticking a hair drier in the filler hole. Should hold up well. Hope that helps. Maybe Pat will chime in when he does a test with the grey-black. If you do test shots and compare the various black rattle can paints out there, you'll see their is quite a difference in the tint & finish.
EdwardBlume
You learn something new everyday..

For 2 colors, I would have guessed black and rust.... lol-2.gif
tod914
lol Rob. I can't believe the condition on the inside of some of these tanks. Definetly not conviced storing them full is a good thing.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 10 2010, 04:52 PM) *

lol Rob. I can't believe the condition on the inside of some of these tanks. Definetly not conviced storing them full is a good thing.

What's the "storing them full" issue?
tod914
Just from following some threads here, seems the long term storage with full tanks makes them rust pretty bad.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 10 2010, 04:58 PM) *

Just from following some threads here, seems the long term storage with full tanks makes them rust pretty bad.

Just another reason to drive 'em! beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I have yet to see a 914 fuel tank that wasn't a non-gloss black.

The Cap'n
6freak
you could order them with any color you wanted !as long as you picked black
Elliot Cannon
Paint it "rayedd"
plymouth37
The earlier cars had the black steel expansion tanks while the later ones were greyish plastic but I have only seen black for the fuel tanks themselves, red looks pretty good though!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 10 2010, 12:09 PM) *

any ideas on this?

I've seen that most "original" tanks were painted int wo different shades - either stain black or dark-gray black. I don't have any idea when they changed, nor when they changed back. What I am 100% certain of is that my late 72 tank was originally painted a very dark gray/black. The evaporator is satin black.

I've owned the car since new. It is what it is.

I'll send pics when my camera batteries or recharged.

To those who say there was only satin black, I say you are incorrect. In fact, I ask that someone who's 914 was maufactured in May 1972 prove to me that there's is satin black (original). I lived in Kansas foe a few years, so "show me".
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.