Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Cancelling/Steering Column Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
So today while I was putting in the cancelling ring, I accidentally knocked out one of those little plastic pieces involved with the turn signal lever. I unscrewed the four screws holding the entire mechanism to the steering column and then two parts came flying out. Any idea how to get these back in or where they go? Or maybe remove the entire steering column switch without cutting wires? I'm lost...
amphiduck
Pictures were too big, had to scale them down.
detoxcowboy
Those are the spring and plastic clip that operate via turn signal cancelling ring. Basically your fine without it, but after you turn on your turn signal you would have to manuallly turn them off to cancel the blinking ect.. This is the state of alot of 914's that have those pieces in place anyways.. You may be able to get them back in there but would more than likely need a pic of an assembled one to assist you.

To remove the turn signal switch entirely, unplug it along with the wiper switch on the rear of steering column underneath dash, there are 2 white plastic plugs back there (3 actually but the turnsignal/washer wiper are combined), 1 is the igniton switch plug (squarish looking) the other more elongated curved one is the washer and turnsignal switches plug combined into 1, pull that one out and you will see it has 2
parts connected together the smaller 7 pin one is your wiper/washer, seperate that one from the turn signal side (they clip together) and guide the turn signal parts back through the steering column then pull off the turn signal switch.. you may have to remove the washer switch at same time to get it out of the way.. wahla!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(amphiduck @ May 10 2010, 03:31 PM) *

You are done, order a new one!
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2010, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(amphiduck @ May 10 2010, 03:31 PM) *

You are done, order a new one!

agree.gif it would be cheaper and easier to buy a good used one than fickle frustrate put that one back together..
amphiduck
Does a '73 turn signal/windshield wiper switch fit on a '74?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(amphiduck @ May 10 2010, 03:59 PM) *

Does a '73 turn signal/windshield wiper switch fit on a '74?

yes
amphiduck
Thanks for all the help everyone! Looks like I know what I'll be doing this evening...
charliew
Don't you also need to pull the washer hoses off the switch? Or is that just on the vw?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(charliew @ May 10 2010, 09:35 PM) *

Don't you also need to pull the washer hoses off the switch? Or is that just on the vw?

your right.. I don't have those anymore and had forgotten..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.