Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 almost bare bones tub weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ELLIOTT
Hi, does anyone know how much a 914 tub weighs? Stripped down with only front and rear fenders. I think its a 71.
thanks Elliott..........my first post so please forgive me if I screw it up. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon

welcome.png
r_towle
Given what I know I can lift...and my son and I can lift together...

Its over 350...so its closer to 400 lbs with no glass, no doors, everything that can come off is off...

I can hold up one end while they hold up the other end.
Rich
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 10 2010, 04:51 PM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif
welcome.png welcome.png

Without doors, glass, interior and suspension, I would guess 350 - 400.
McMark
Hmm, with the completely stripped shell in the shop this would be a perfect time to accurately measure this... idea.gif

And I'll have spare hands at the shop tomorrow to help make it happen. aktion035.gif

Stay tuned!
ELLIOTT
Thanks for the welcome and your responses. I have a 75' 914 , but it has a lot of holes ( jacking points , hell hole , longs , floor , rear fenders above the lights , lid hing , and probably more) but it is complete minus some front lenses.
I found a shell , so I was trying to figure the logistics , hints the weight question.
thanks again
Elliott
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2010, 11:39 PM) *

Hmm, with the completely stripped shell in the shop this would be a perfect time to accurately measure this... idea.gif

And I'll have spare hands at the shop tomorrow to help make it happen. aktion035.gif

Stay tuned!

Any report on this...??

Rich
McMark
sad.gif We worked on WCR stuff all day and didn't have time to weight the shell. But I will get it done once we get back next week.
HAM Inc
My '74 came in at 495lbs. Completely stripped and media blasted.
1968Cayman
I know that I was able to lift the front end of my '71 with my shoulder and elbow (don't ask) while lying underneath it. Given that I can also lift it rather easily to move the stands, I'd say 375-400 lbs. is a safe bet.
charliew
On shipping the size and the fact it probably can't be stacked is the cost, probably not the weight. Call a shipper and ask. A jhots complete suby motor and tranny was hipped as weighing 800 lbs to Temple, Tx. from I think Georgia for 300.00 on a 4x6 foot pallet. I asked them about the weight and the terminal mgr. who actually had bought my old house from me said it probably was because of the size and not stackable.

Where is it coming from going to? You probably need to find one closer to home. You might want to check with Mark Heard he is close to San Antonio.
McMark
I just lifted the bare chassis up onto the scales. With NOTHING else on (no doors, no lids, no glass, etc), it's reading 520 lbs. Scales might be off slightly, but I'd say that's a pretty fair measurement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.