Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Ads for 914s & Related Items
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Tom_T
OK - let's liven things up some folks now that the Guru is enjoying his twilight years with Fritz or Franz or whoever that loose German is!!?? biggrin.gif
... Garsh - I wonder if his wife knows she has competition!!?? lol-2.gif

Okay - so first of all, we have someone over on Wheels & Tires asking for paint advise to restore his wheels on a 75 2.0, but we need him to load up some pix ~ then those with that type of wheel chime in with what you know to help this poor guy out! Plug #1 idea.gif

#2 - I'll post some interesting vintage 914 related ad which I've found online or somewhere & I'll follow later on with others, but you guys & gals need to hop in here in post some that you've found. Make it fun & interesting, & if it has prices from "back in the day" - all the better to drown our sorrows for today's outrageous prices. dry.gif

Jeff - I know that you have a collection of fun stuff, so jump in here Mr. Bowlsby! poke.gif
By the way - if he has the time & interest, I think Jeff Bowlsby would be an excellent moderator here! smilie_pokal.gif
.... he taught me everything I know (almost)!!!!! laugh.gif

Okay - here's a great ad for the Vintage Dunlop SP57 Tires which used to be one of the main OEM tires delivered from the factory on 911s & 914s back in the 1970's. It looks like they used something like Matchbook Cars for the ad, since they didn't really have easy Photoshop back then, but you could do similar stuff with actual paste-ups. idea.gif
Judging by the file name on this one, credit goes to Mr. Bowlsby for finding it! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Here's a snippet from a 1973 road test noting the 165HR15 Dunlop SP57's on the then "new" 914-2.0 or "914S" ....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Come on - who's next!!?? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
Back in the early 70's, I became newsletter editor for Ohio Valley Region PCA. Along with that duty came access to Porsche factory released photos, for use to the press. Most were B&W pics. They were for advertising purposes. Here are a couple - have more, including other models.

In pic2, that's Bob Hindson leading John Morton.
MDG
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 13 2010, 09:43 PM) *

Back in the early 70's, I became newsletter editor for Ohio Valley Region PCA . . .

Well, sir . . . ahem . . . I'd like to write the editor and point out that the 916-6 GT pictured in fact finished sixth overall. Not seventh.

m.
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 12 2010, 02:39 AM) *

It looks like they used something like Matchbook Cars for the ad

these are Schuco 1/66 rolleyes.gif

btw - there was a very similar b/w version too

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif

Tom_T
Great Pat & Gustl !! beerchug.gif

Okay - how about some of the infamous "The _______ Porsche" series!?

idea.gif .... so what was it ... a 26 mpg or 29 mpg Porsche - both are 2.0 in the text?? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

... or the - "Gee I wish they were still that much Porsche" ?? confused24.gif

... "Action Porsche" ~ or ~ "ACTION Porsche" happy11.gif ?? confused24.gif
.............. Pat - I think that's your COA's "Noregian Equipment" on the Orange 914 on the right! biggrin.gif

... "Cow-abunga" dude! "The Surf Porsche" or the "After Surf Porsche" happy11.gif ?? confused24.gif

... again, most of the credit for these goes to Mr. Bowlsby, or advertisers I found on the happy11.gif -bay!

popcorn[1].gif

Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2010, 07:32 AM) *

idea.gif .... so what was it ... a 26 mpg or 29 mpg Porsche - both are 2.0 in the text?? confused24.gif

IIRC that's a US version against a CAN version idea.gif
Gustl
here are some less common ads:

toy car ads from Italy:

Click to view attachment

1974 ad from Road & Track ... I don't know "BAP/GEON" confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

french John Deere ad (don't know the year)

Click to view attachment

Gustl
two rare ads from Germany:

AvalonFal
Click to view attachment
Paul
MDG
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 14 2010, 06:55 AM) *

Yes, your recall is correct; one ad gives an example of a Toronto to Montreal trip and the other a round trip from N.Y to DC

Don't know why the CDN has lower gas mileage? Maybe less emission crap = a bit more power = lower mileage? confused24.gif My '73 with stock injection gets better than that now.

My 3.2 conversion car - not so much. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ May 14 2010, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ May 14 2010, 06:55 AM) *

Yes, your recall is correct; one add gives an example of a Toronto to Montreal trip and the other a round trip from N.Y to DC

Don't know why the CDN has lower gas mileage? Maybe less emission crap = a bit more power = lower mileage? confused24.gif My '73 with stock injection gets better than that now.

My 3.2 conversion car - not so much. biggrin.gif

Mike & Wolfgang - if the Canadian 914's had the GB engines with 100 hp 8.0 compression ratio Euro Engine, then it could be the case, but if they were the USA spec GA with 7.6 CR 91/95 HP engine - then there would be no reason for a 3 mpg difference in real practice, unless one route had more hills to climb. Otherwise the mpg would be the same for a US or Can. GA 2.0.

Mike - I too in my 10 years DD with my 73 GA 2.0 stock D-jet I'd always gotten in the low 30's mpg on highway speed driving, unless it was in mountainous territory, like crosscountry out west here or going up skiing.

Paul - great German Beach Ad - I'd guessed it might be on the Baltic, which is even colder than the Jersey Shore & without the Gulf Stream, so probably pretty cool there in that ad!

Wolfgang - great ads! FYI - in that one ad Bap-Geon is/was a USA FLAPS type auto parts store, similar to what Bosch has/had there in Europe.

I actually found that French John Deere ad with the 914 on-line too, & always wondered what it said. Maybe Johannes can enlighten us all? confused24.gif

I'll add some more of my ads later, with my personal comical juxtaposing of course! biggrin.gif
AvalonFal
Another German beach ad:

Click to view attachment

Paul
MDG
No on the high compression Euro spec engines for Canada; same for all North America. And yes, my car is a GA.

Did they add extra smog stuff in the US? I didn't think so. Probably just some copywriter not paying attention.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ May 13 2010, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 13 2010, 09:43 PM) *

Back in the early 70's, I became newsletter editor for Ohio Valley Region PCA . . .

Well, sir . . . ahem . . . I'd like to write the editor and point out that the 916-6 GT pictured in fact finished sixth overall. Not seventh.

m.

It is "as sent" from the Factory. I guess an "oops" is necessary!
Be that as it may, these are original press release photos. You wouldn't believe the euron intro package that I got for the 928 - it's a tome!
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 14 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Another German beach ad:

Click to view attachment

Paul

I wonder if it's a bit nipply out there for her Paul? confused24.gif

... and the USA version of the above ad .... "The Get Away Porsche" ~ or the Get AWAY Porsche! confused24.gif

"The City Porsche" ~ or ~ The get out of the city Porsche? confused24.gif

"The Desert Porsche" ~ with or without Tits - your choice! ... on the 914 that is, the gal has them in both ads! biggrin.gif

"I Wanted to ... " ....... " .... Entertain You!" laugh.gif

Last one for today - the Sebring win promotion -

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ May 14 2010, 03:19 PM) *

No on the high compression Euro spec engines for Canada; same for all North America. And yes, my car is a GA.

Did they add extra smog stuff in the US? I didn't think so. Probably just some copywriter not paying attention.

Mike, the factory & Porsche+Audi North America both also variously quoted the 73-74 MYs' GA 2.0's HP as 91 & 95, so they probably made some copy errors on that & these ads, or maybe had two sets of test data on the mpg & hp? confused24.gif

The whole point of the GA 2.0 was to eliminated the need for a 49 state & California version fro the flag.gif - as they did with the 1.7s of 72-73 MYs, so I doubt that they tuned them differently for USA to Canuck-land up your way. idea.gif
Pat Garvey
If anyone is interested, I have the 1972 sales training volume. It wouldn't help any of us here, since we already know this stuff, but it's cute. No pics. just text and questions. Since I'm planning a move, anyone who wants it can have it.

PM if ineterested. Free.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 14 2010, 06:10 PM) *

If anyone is interested, I have the 1972 sales training volume. It wouldn't help any of us here, since we already know this stuff, but it's cute. No pics. just text and questions. Since I'm planning a move, anyone who wants it can have it.

PM if ineterested. Free.
Pat

Great offer for you 72 MY owners! Kudos Pat!! smilie_pokal.gif

Are you moving back to the Cinci area Pat? confused24.gif
davep
The 26 vs 29 MPG difference is mostly due to Canada using the Imperial gallon (160 oz) vs the US gallon (128 oz); poor Yankees are short a fifth. However that should make it 26 to 32.5 MPG. So, obviously the Canadians drive pedal-to-the-metal.
In actual fact with a 1973 1.7 on stock tires my average highway fuel economy was better than 40 MPG circa 1976.
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ May 15 2010, 01:04 PM) *

The 26 vs 29 MPG difference is mostly due to Canada using the Imperial gallon (160 oz) vs the US gallon (128 oz); poor Yankees are short a fifth. However that should make it 26 to 32.5 MPG. So, obviously the Canadians drive pedal-to-the-metal.
In actual fact with a 1973 1.7 on stock tires my average highway fuel economy was better than 40 MPG circa 1976.

I think you've solved the mystery Dave! Imp vs. US Gallons! biggrin.gif

If 32.5+/- on the NYC run, then it could also be due to the Interstates here in the USA, because I think the Canadian run involved some lower speed stop-n-go bits in parts back then - yes/no? confused24.gif

The 32.5 actually tracks with my 73 2L on stock 165HR15 Semperit 201/401 tires on a stead Interstate/Freeway run! ... & if I cruised easy it was 35-40 range like your 1.7 back in the day.

Of course, more aggressive driving with the "magic" 3000-4700 rpm sweet spot dropped you to the mid-20's mpg - but even that wasn't bad for real hard driving.gif !!!! w00t.gif
davep
When I added 185HR70 tires the MPG took a big hit, but the added cornering ability made it worthwhile. The S suspension was a nice addition also.
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 15 2010, 05:37 PM) *

. . . . because I think the Canadian run involved some lower speed stop-n-go bits in parts back then - yes/no? confused24.gif

Once you are out of the city, Toronto to Montreal back then would have been 70mph highway all the way. Now the suggested biggrin.gif speed is 100 km/h
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2010, 07:19 PM) *

PM if ineterested. Free.
Pat

Yeppir, that's the plan. Course it depends on the real estate market at the time, but we're hoping for late summer/early fall. If it happens as planned, the 914 should spend some time at Stoddards for a pro touch. Workin' on it!
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ May 15 2010, 02:51 PM) *

When I added 185HR70 tires the MPG took a big hit, but the added cornering ability made it worthwhile. The S suspension was a nice addition also.

Were those the Michelin XWX 185/70VR15's? confused24.gif
Lucas & the others still sell them today, but at $400+ a pop! blink.gif
Even the Michi AS 165HR15's are over $250 each & require tubes! dry.gif

Mine had Semperit 201's 165HR15's when I bought it & I went to their 401's when then updated them, but then they stopped selling them in the US in the early 80's. They handled as well as or better than the Dunlop SP57's in the same size, but the dunlops only got 10-20k miles out of them, while the Sempi's got 35-45k!!!! smile.gif

I wish Semperit would re-intro those in the old vintage size here again. sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ May 15 2010, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 15 2010, 05:37 PM) *

. . . . because I think the Canadian run involved some lower speed stop-n-go bits in parts back then - yes/no? confused24.gif

Once you are out of the city, Toronto to Montreal back then would have been 70mph highway all the way. Now the suggested biggrin.gif speed is 100 km/h

What's that - about 68-70 mph IIRC? confused24.gif

Also Mike, the US Interstates would be free flowing at whatever the speed limit was - even in the cities - if they picked times to miss rush hours, etc. ...... but .....

So back then they did have the gas crisis induced 55 mph speed limit here in the USA, & if they held the foot lightly to stay "legal" on the interstates, then that & the Imp Gallon difference explains the 26 vs 32.5 (29 USA) mpg! dry.gif

IIRC - mine cruised about 3000 rpm in 5th at about 70 as the "sweet spot" - if not best overall mpg! idea.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 15 2010, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2010, 07:19 PM) *

PM if ineterested. Free.
Pat

Yeppir, that's the plan. Course it depends on the real estate market at the time, but we're hoping for late summer/early fall. If it happens as planned, the 914 should spend some time at Stoddards for a pro touch. Workin' on it!
Pat

Cool Pat!

I have family in the Indy area & we try to visit every year around late August, so IIRC it's only a couple of hour drive down to Cinci, so maybe we can get together some time - you, Paul & I with spouses & any others if they so choose! biggrin.gif

Being in the business so to speak, the overall housing makret, finance & the economy/job won't be back in 2010 overall nationally, but certain sub-markets may be doing better. let's hope yours is in the latter!

One of my wife's brothers has been wanting to sell the Atlanta (Kennesaw) home for 18 months, since he got transferred to Charlotte & has been "commuting" since then. So you just never know!

One thing for sure - what goes up, comes down & visa versa, since it's a cyclical economy always - despite the pudits. So things will eventually recover! smile.gif
Tom_T
Okay, time for another installment of my pairings, as I watch "The Bourne Ultimatum" on the tube sittin' here! blink.gif

Porsches - Silver or Gold - Precious Metal in either case! drooley.gif

Feeling Blue? ~ or Green with Envy? confused24.gif

Red always got me Keyed up! biggrin.gif

Come on guys & gals - bring your own ....... this is BYOA after all!!!! biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
AvalonFal
More color. More fun. More safety.

Click to view attachment

Paul
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 16 2010, 12:23 AM) *

What's that - about 68-70 mph IIRC? confused24.gif

Also Mike, the US Interstates would be free flowing at whatever the speed limit was - even in the cities - if they picked times to miss rush hours, etc. ...... but .....

So back then they did have the gas crisis induced 55 mph speed limit here in the USA, & if they held the foot lightly to stay "legal" on the interstates, then that & the Imp Gallon difference explains the 26 vs 32.5 (29 USA) mpg! dry.gif

IIRC - mine cruised about 3000 rpm in 5th at about 70 as the "sweet spot" - if not best overall mpg! idea.gif

Canada switched over in the mid-70s when everything went metric. The old 70mph highway speeds became 100 km/h (62mph); some highways are 110 km/h

As far as city congestion goes, all the times I've driven around L.A., after hearing all the horror stories about the traffic chaos etc., pfft!

Driving across the top of Toronto on the 401 (27 lanes of supposedly 100 km/h) during rush hour, a twenty mile trip could take 2 hours. To go from my house just north of the city to my old office in the heart of downtown used to take about an hour and a half each way. It was only a 23 km drive (15 miles)

8 million or so people in the Greater Toronto area and a public transit system no one wants to use . . .
AvalonFal
Another vintage 2 page German ad:
Click to view attachment

Paul
Tom_T
"As far as city congestion goes, all the times I've driven around L.A., after hearing all the horror stories about the traffic chaos etc., pfft!"

All depends on your timing in LA/SoCal traffic Mike, & if the traffic gods are with you! Obviously they were with you, so I'll ride with you when we're out & we can use the high-occ HOV lanes! ... maybe you Canadians mostly just drive slower!? biggrin.gif

More nice ones Paul - the last one reminds me of camping out of my 914, & all of the fellwo campers around gawking as I kept unloading gear from F&R trunks to set up a full camp - tent, sleeping bags, mats or cots, chairs, stove, cooler (1-2 small ones to fit) & dry food, clothes & misc gear!
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
... how did you do that!? confused24.gif ....... oh, coooool - 2 trunks! smile.gif ....... idea.gif ... but where's then engine? huh.gif

lol-2.gif Never failed to amaze! av-943.gif
Tom_T
Okay - things are dragging again, so here are a few more to whet your appetite! biggrin.gif

Geht....that top off ~ for "The Sun Porsche" shades.gif

"The Mountain Porsche" ~ to get to "The Nature [of] Porsche" biggrin.gif

"New Porsche" or "New Porsche" ~ Decisions, decisions!
idea.gif .... wonder what the extra $95 was for? .... Shipping & handling? .... but wait! ..... lol-2.gif

My own contribution in revenge for all those years of torture in the 70's by the Tail-dragger crowd:
"The 'Who says a mid-engined VW powered sports car isn't a "Real Porsche"? Porsche' "!! dry.gif

.... froggy.gif NARP, NARP!

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
AvalonFal
Keeping it going with another 2 page German ad:

"Is it any wonder that it is one of the best selling sports cars in the world?"

Click to view attachment

Was it true or just advertising?
Paul
Tom_T
Paul -

It very well could have been true - given that most other manufacturers' sports car production was tailing off by then due to the oil/gas crisis, rising import costs, buyers hunkering down" due to the oil crisis induced recession of 73-75 & not splurging on "fun cars" as much, as well as the feared "outlawing" in the USA of the open sports car (part of the reason for the 914's rollbar & targa top design over plain convertible) - & since 60% +/- of all 914's & 911s were sold in the USA (40% of those in CA - or 24% overall), coupled with the 914's production/sales peaking in 72-74 MYs at about 21,000+ - 27,000+ each year (see PAG & PCNA based estimates below - from PCA in Panorama or something I think).

By then IIRC - British Leyland was selling fewer of their individual marques - MGB, Midget, TR6, stc.; likewise Fiat 124 & X1/9 & Alfa's sales numbers were comparatively smaller each, but Chevy's Corvette might have been close; whereas Datsun's Fairlady 2000 went out of production & 240Z sold equal or more but wasn't considered a true sports car (it was classed sports coupe or GT, by which definition by the way the 911/912 didn't qualify either - so it cut both ways & Porsche used it both ways) & similarly for the Opel GT & TR7 etc.

I don't have any production numbers to compare from the others, so I'm going by what I recall from "back in the day" & some vintage auto magazine articles I have around.

This is a good summary of the production numbers & specs across the 6 model years -
.... although I did have my stock D-jet `73 914-2.0 on stock 165(/80)Hr15 tires up to 126 mph once, but on a downgrade ~ so 115 mph wasn't the absolute max! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Inside double-leaf spread of previously posted 3 Keys mini-brochure, with Porsche+Audi's (now PCNA) 3 product lines: Audi 100 & Porsche 911 & 914 - & back page of the outside of this 4 page single-fold handout from the dealers -

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Note on the back page a 1972 copyright date, so given the front bumper guards on the 100, 914 & 911 - it was from the first half of the 1973 MY -

Click to view attachment

idea.gif

I note in the ads posted here so far & Pat's PAG promo pix sent to the PCA chapters - & now recall back in my foggy memory, that they hadn't really settled on a single way of presenting their dealerships/product lines back then - sometimes using Porsche+Audi, other times Porsche|Audi (as in the later dealer signs) & occasionally seen in print as Porsche-Audi or simple Porsche Audi. Today their marketers would have a fit with that sort of schizophrenic advertising! blink.gif

Any others?? .... come on folks - we know you have more out there, so let's make it more than the Tom, Paul, Pat & Wolf show here!

popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
here is a few
AvalonFal
"The new VW-Porsche.
Now the difference amounts to only 750 HP."

What could have been.... from a 2 page German ad:

Click to view attachment

Paul

Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 19 2010, 12:18 PM) *

here is a few

Now I know why my driver side headlight doesn't work right! dry.gif
... or was that a demo on how they "greased" the pivot pins?? biggrin.gif

Hey Bleyseng - I have that same 12 pg. brochure in your first pic!
I got it online last year to confirm that my early 73 2L was supposed to have come with the fog lights, center console & Fuchs 2L alloys as part of the "included in the base price" AG & PG options. It's an early version which still refers to the 2.0 as "914S" - as below:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Full 2 page brochure for "The Pursuit Porsche" ~ or .... the Porsche in Pursuit! biggrin.gif
... I can just hear it now: "Hey Baby!" rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 19 2010, 01:40 PM) *

"The new VW-Porsche.
Now the difference amounts to only 750 HP."

What could have been.... from a 2 page German ad:

Click to view attachment

Paul

idea.gif Let's see, type.gif ....... 850 hp 917 less 100 hp Euro 2.0 - yup, only 750 diff! biggrin.gif

These are great! ... keep it up all y'all! shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I went to Kinko's to get this large 36"x48" poster reduced in size. They said no because of liability. I wanted to send out to a few friends, Grrrrrr.

Tom, mad.gif

Tom_T
Coool Tom - I was thinking of collecting those in real time (paper) & making up a montage like that too! biggrin.gif

Maybe just get a good shot of it with your digital camera on the highest rez setting & far enough back that the main image is away from the lens warping at the edge, then crop it & take it to a regular photo place that makes prints from your pix, or print it smaller scale on your home/office photo quality printer on good photo printer!
AvalonFal
German 2 page ad.

"Master of all curves."
Click to view attachment

Paul
Tom_T
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 20 2010, 06:13 AM) *

German 2 page ad.

"Master of all curves."
Click to view attachment

Paul

Yes ....... Master of ALL Curves! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
AvalonFal
Another from Germany:

"The toughest test track for a sports car."

Click to view attachment

Paul
IronHillRestorations
Has anyone ever seen (first hand) the special luggage set designed for the 914?
Tom_T
QUOTE(9146986 @ May 21 2010, 08:15 PM) *

Has anyone ever seen (first hand) the special luggage set designed for the 914?

Perry - there were different styles over the years as I recall. I've only seen some of these at Jeff Bowlsby's website, but a buddy of mine back in the 70's got a set for his beloved 911 & couldn't put them in the trunk - just like in the 1st ad, but in the maroon! I offered to take them off his hands since they'd fit fine in my 914! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

.... IIRC they came in this grey, Porsche's maroon, red, black & maybe white or tan, & the Flower Child patterns of the bottom pic. Porsche was playing around with a lot of early name/logo franchising to boost revenue, but didn't charge a lot nor keep control over much of it - as compared to today.

Also note "F" above - well we all know how well that worked out in our 914s!!!! dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's another set on the most useless 914 Accessory IMHO ~ I mean who needs a luggage rack when you have 2 trunks with 16.5 cu. ft.!!?? confused24.gif
... I mean really, have the "old lady" pack less! dry.gif

Click to view attachment

. Why do I feel like I'll pay for that one!!?? huh.gif ... yes dear.....what? chair.gif

popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
All those photos are just regular luggage Tom. I think Perry was referring to the dealership-offered 914 luggage on my accessories webpage, from the Christophorus article.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/914Accessories.htm

Tom_T
Thanx Jeff - I thought that was the same as the grey set on the 911 in the pic, like my 911 bud got in the Porsche maroon (odd choice btw, since his 72 911S was black/black & we figured he'd go for black).

So Perry & Jeff, I don't know if his set was the 914 set or another Porsche branded set in maroon - but either way he could only put a small bag in the front boot & 2 larger bags in the back seat area (without blocking the rearview), which left 2 of 5 at home! At this point I can't recall from 75-76 era! dry.gif

Jeff - the text in the ones from your link below notes "How to pack them in a 911" - so can you post that pic here if you have it? Even if a 911 is OT - it points out yet another advantage of our 914s over the taildraggers!

Here are the other pix & info from Jeff's site link above on the luggage, as are most of these I'm posting here for fun! Thanx Jeff!

Pat Garvey
Here's one from the August 1975 Camel GT program (Mid-Ohio), where the '75 914 was the pace car.
Interestingly, the only 914 in the race was a six, driven by John Hotchkiss (Pasadena) and Roger Kirby (LA). Can't remember who won, though I'm pretty certain it was a 911s driven by Bob Beasley & Bruce Jennings (yeah, that one). I DO remember that the 9146 in the race scared the crap out of me because he lost it at the end of the back straight, where I was photog'ing. Thankfully, they didn't get to the ARMCO!
Pat Garvey
This confuses me! 1974 914 catalogue, assumed it was US, but look at this.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 23 2010, 06:05 PM) *

This confuses me! 1974 914 catalogue, assumed it was US, but look at this.

blink.gif Look at what? ... did you forget to upload something Pat? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.