Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AutoAtlanta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
In Atlanta for a few days and decided to see Auto Atlanta. Where to start? With the up close way the Doctor "speaks" with us personally on this forum, I guess I expected a little store front with a greasy hippie setting there with a junk yard dog and an outdated Mac. Hardly... What I found was a first class operation that has all the trappings of a high end California Porsche dealer. Sale cars available for inspection, show room, parts department and a shop that looked to die for. The staff was friendly and cheerful and the house cat lays there for you to pet. Because I had the rain of fury brought down on me for converting over to carbs, I didn't make my attendance noticed. Next time I will get up the nerve, though. One thing, if you are going to visit, let me tell you. Be ready for one heck of quick turn in when you discover you are there.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ May 11 2010, 09:24 PM) *

In Atlanta for a few days and decided to see Auto Atlanta. Where to start? With the up close way the Doctor "speaks" with us personally on this forum, I guess I expected a little store front with a greasy hippie setting there with a junk yard dog and an outdated Mac. Hardly... What I found was a first class operation that has all the trappings of a high end California Porsche dealer. Sale cars available for inspection, show room, parts department and a shop that looked to die for. The staff was friendly and cheerful and the house cat lays there for you to pet. Because I had the rain of fury brought down on me for converting over to carbs, I didn't make my attendance noticed. Next time I will get up the nerve, though. One thing, if you are going to visit, let me tell you. Be ready for one heck of quick turn in when you discover you are there.

confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ May 11 2010, 08:24 PM) *

Yep, been there twice (once on a closed Sunday). The turn-in is a bit wicked!
Worth the ride, though.
Pat
johannes
Want to visit ? ...

http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=505+S.+Mariet...339.51,,0,-1.32

carr914
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ May 11 2010, 10:24 PM) *

What I found was a first class operation that has all the trappings of a high end California Porsche dealer.

Have you ever been to a High End CA Porsche Dealer? head_hurts_kr.gif

Sorry George poke.gif

But on the Plus side, you won't get the owner of a High End Dealership to take your calls all day long. call me.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 12 2010, 02:25 AM) *

What I found was a first class operation that has all the trappings of a high end California Porsche dealer.

Sorry George poke.gif

But on the Plus side, you won't get the owner of a High End Dealership to take your calls all day long. call me.gif

And Steve has come up three or four times now but what about you? We miss seeing you!!!!! Maybe you and Steve can plan a trip up for a couple of days to massage the collection! I think that getting some of the cars running cleaning the showroom and stretching some legs would be fun. Who here has ever driven a 916???? A 914-6 sportomatic?? A M-471 GT? A limited edition? A "new" 914-6 (one with only 5604 miles on it?) to name a few!!!!
Root_Werks
Quite a number of years ago while on some sort of stupid Software thing in Atlanta, I skipped out on one of the meetings and visited AA for a couple of hours. Actually got a quick tour of the shop, show room, still wasn't allowed to touch the 916. biggrin.gif

That was a long time ago when 914-6 oil tanks were $450.

I was impressed back then and sure I would be today.

Pretty cool to see a place that has such a focus on our 914's. smilie_pokal.gif
charliew
I stayed 6 weeks in a motel inbetween marietta and atlanta in school for ibm in 86. I think I was messing with mostly jeeps back then. It might have been named the marietta motel. Ibm leased the whole thing. I got breathalized on marietta one night and passed. I would love to see George's toys and am very glad he is prosperous. If he isn't he will be world famous.

Oh yeah, I really liked clogging.
poorsche914
Back in the mid '80s I visited AA quite often since I lived only a few hours away in North Carolina. After I moved to Florida, I would stop by AA on my trips back to NC. Enjoyed looking at all the 914s out front. Plus there was always something I had to get for my teener. I think I still have an old paper catalog somewhere.
driving.gif
sean_v8_914
AA is on my list of destinations...some day.
EdwardBlume
"Its like my Graceland..." - Ace Ventura
carr914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 12 2010, 10:06 AM) *

Sorry George poke.gif

And Steve has come up three or four times now but what about you? We miss seeing you!!!!! Maybe you and Steve can plan a trip up for a couple of days to massage the collection! I think that getting some of the cars running cleaning the showroom and stretching some legs would be fun. Who here has ever driven a 916???? A 914-6 sportomatic?? A M-471 GT? A limited edition? A "new" 914-6 (one with only 5604 miles on it?) to name a few!!!!

Well. I've driven a 916, an LE, a 250hp GT Conversion, a 962 w/PDK, and Steve was out in Jeff's new Ferrari 675 (?) the other day. So I'll get with Steve - I'll get to feel like the parking attendents in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

T.C.
r_towle
BTDT, George is a great host.
Next time I visit I want to drive the Ford GT.
Rich
MiddleGACruiser
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ May 11 2010, 09:24 PM) *

Did George tear down the old one and build a new shop??? confused24.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 12 2010, 06:06 AM) *

Sorry George poke.gif

George, I have visited you twice now, and you wouldn't let me in to see the cars up close either time. You kept bitching about the big guy from Texas who dented your 356. I am only 160, and I have never dented a car without paying for it!

Everyone else, if you find yourself in or around Atlanta on business, you owe it to yourself to go visit George. I showed up a couple of years ago, told him my screen name and got a very nice welcome. He paged one of his guys, whose name escapes me now. I was treated to a VIP tour including up in the attic where all of the cool old lost warehouse stuff is stored. Amazing stuff. To be fair, I could have seen the cars up close on that visit, but I had to leave to catch my flight.

I should stress that EVERYONE from George to the techs to the order entry staff greeted me graciously and gave me the impression that they really enjoyed visitors. If 914s are your passion, I doubt that there is a better place in the world to visit.

Was that good enough for $50 off my next order, George?
monkeyboy
I went there two years ago while on a trip for work. I went in and told them I was in from out of town and needed to pick up a few things while in town.

I was also treated like royalty, given a tour and a free shirt. I also got to look at all the rare cars up close. I didn't get to drive any of them though...

I should be back in August or September for work again... I'm definately asking for a ride!
rwilner
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2010, 07:37 PM) *

This is the car I dream about at night.
smg914
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 13 2010, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2010, 07:37 PM) *

This is the car I dream about at night.

You'll be dreaming and seeing stars and little bugs after you you get out of the Ford GT and bang your head on the top of the door. If you don't think about the top of the door as your getting out of the car, "You will hit your head" and I'm telling you from experience, "It freekin hurts". But it is one fantastic car and one that is on my list of top 5 cars I would like to own.

I had this Ford GT for a couple of hours by myself a few years ago. I did not want that day to end. Look at the top of the door and you get an idea what I'm talking about.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2010, 04:37 PM) *

BTDT, George is a great host.
Rich

I have the keys ready for YOU Rich.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment

This is the ONLY non Porsche I have ever owned besides my Dad's original 1964 Buick Riviera, the family car we bought together in May of 1964.

I could never afford a Ferarri, but this Ford was the price of a new Porsche turbo. How could one go wrong?
flat4tom
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 14 2010, 07:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is the ONLY non Porsche I have ever owned besides my Dad's original 1964 Buick Riviera, the family car we bought together in May of 1964.

I could never afford a Ferarri, but this Ford was the price of a new Porsche turbo. How could one go wrong?

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Very nice George!!

Tom
carr914
But George do you have space for your lawn chairs & Beer Cooler?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.