Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some new seats - suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
So I just bought this amazing 914 which is set up really nicely, but the seats are too aggressive for a daily driver IMO. The present seats are Sparco Pro 2000 seats and 5 point harnesses, and I think I'm just too wide for them. Too bad because they are in like new condition. I'm 6'0" and 200 pounds, with a size 36 waist and size 42 jacket. I'd like to get something else a bit less aggressive but still sporting, comfortable and attractive.

Are there any fitment issues with 914s due to the size/shape of the cockpit? Am I limited to a certain shape or size seat?

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that might bolt up to my Sparco seat tracks?

Thanks in advance for your help.
carr914
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 12 2010, 01:26 AM) *

So I just bought this amazing 914 which is set up really nicely, but the seats are too aggressive for a daily driver IMO. The present seats are Sparco Pro 2000 seats and 5 point harnesses, and I think I'm just too wide for them. Too bad because they are in like new condition. I'm 6'0" and 200 pounds, with a size 36 waist and size 42 jacket. I'd like to get something else a bit less aggressive but still sporting, comfortable and attractive.

Are there any fitment issues with 914s due to the size/shape of the cockpit? Am I limited to a certain shape or size seat?

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that might bolt up to my Sparco seat tracks?

First, welcome.png

Second, We need Pictures of this Amazing 914 to see if it really exists - You got a Hemi in there yikes.gif

Third, Yes there are fitment issues with 914s mainly due to low seat placement whether it be stock or raceseat tracks.

There other race style seats that are made wider that would use your existing Sparco tracks. If you go to another style seat, you will have to go to a different (stock) track system. GTS makes some really nice seats and Stefan will custom do a seat.

Click to view attachment

I'm sure others will chime in and there are plenty of seat threads. Good Luck with the search function headbang.gif

Fourth, You could always lose a few pounds to make your existing seat fit. av-943.gif Sorry I'm just Fuchin with you. You will learn you need a thick skin around here slap.gif

Welcome Aboard,
T.C.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 12 2010, 05:50 AM) *

First, welcome.png

Second, We need Pictures of this Amazing 914 to see if it really exists - You got a Hemi in there yikes.gif

Third, Yes there are fitment issues with 914s mainly due to low seat placement whether it be stock or raceseat tracks.

There other race style seats that are made wider that would use your existing Sparco tracks. If you go to another style seat, you will have to go to a different (stock) track system. GTS makes some really nice seats and Stefan will custom do a seat.

Click to view attachment

I'm sure others will chime in and there are plenty of seat threads. Good Luck with the search function headbang.gif

Fourth, You could always lose a few pounds to make your existing seat fit. av-943.gif Sorry I'm just Fuchin with you. You will learn you need a thick skin around here slap.gif

Welcome Aboard,
T.C.

welcome.png
no matter what, the car is on the narrow side, and there is not much room for wider seats,especially if u r tall.
I just put in porsche 911/993 seats from LA dismantlers-salvage co.) in mine but had to do some modification to the driver's side transverse support to lower the seat, as the are longer and wider. Much more comfortable(I'm 6'2", 190- 32"waist).

multiple choice
A: P90x works - lol-2.gif
B: GTS very nice
C: other porsche seats-993,996's (electric too!)(see the attached photo)

anyway good luck- I went with the 993 seats I wanted wider and higher support, much safer, and the seats were much less than recovering old ones and Iwanted leather. any questions let me know.

Phil

nsr-jamie
I have seen some nice looking seats on Ebay but just the picture, never seen the real thing. They look really nice!! Camp 914 sells similar looking ones too. Cheers!
carr914
Camp914 sells GTS seats, but if you want a custom (wider) one, I think I would deal with Stefan direct.

And how about a few more Welcomes for the new guy.

T.C.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 12 2010, 01:50 AM) *

First, welcome.png

Click to view attachment

Welcome Aboard,
T.C.

Wow! T.C. is being tough on you! At 6' and 200# you are only about 11# above the IBW range for a male of your height. Thank goodness he is just kidding biggrin.gif I am way above that!
The Sparco EVO2 would probably be a good fit. GTS Classic Seats are very period correct and reasonable too. I agree with T.C. Let's see some pictures of this car. If it runs it is one of maybe 5 or 6 914's in the world that are not on jackstands lol-2.gif
moparrob
Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. I don't have many pics of the car and the one I do have is not hosted on the internet (I know I know, but give me a break I'm an old dude).

Here is a link to a walk around and interior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imG_2QzoOII

I really like those 993 seats. What year did they come out of? What should I expect to pay for a nice set of them?

Will my Sparco tracks work with other Sparco seats?

Will Sparco tracks work with other mfr seats?

I'm going to sell the Sparcos when the car arrives so I'll keep you guys posted in case you want a good deal on them. Thanks for all the help.

Pretty soon my handle will be exmoparguy...
qa1142
Love my GTS seats

Very comfortable and he will make them wide for you

aktion035.gif
carr914
The car looks nice in the Video. Obviously a 4 conversion, But Dude, there was no engine in there shades.gif What are you going to do?

T.C.
moparrob
(evil laugh) hee hee hee...

I'm still trying to decide what to put in there. A friend has offered me a free 1.7 just to get it running around, so I'll probably do that for starters. I would love to put a 3.2 in there but I believe that would cost in the area of $15K so I'm not in a rush to do that just yet.

The alternative is to buy or build a moderate engine built on a 2.0 core, preferably buy one locally that someone has sunk a ton of money into and needs/wants to get out of it (sorta like how I got the car...)

Any suggestions/offers?
carr914
Suggestions, Yes !

One, Stay as far away as possible from anything that says Motor Meister.

Second, Stay close to the classifieds, I have seen some fine motors that come available for less than $5k, you just have to be patient and have the money to pounce. When you go beyond 2.7 liters, you usually have to look at different trannies.

T.C.
nsr-jamie
How do those GTS seats fit in the 914? Are they truly made just for the 914? Does it fit the stock back cushion? Still able to adjust the seats like the original...no clearence issues? I really love those seats and am seriously thinking about picking up a pair next year if things get better over here with work and all. Cheers

Any pictures would be great to see them actually in the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.