Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No tits!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I'm not too crazy about the "hole plugs", but it's still so much better than the bumper tits, IMO.

An earlier photo:

IPB Image

The evening's project (and I washed him):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

johannes
I like the change you made. Looks OK to me.

I had tits on my 1975 big rubber bumpers.

You can't remove them because the rubber under thoose tits looks like shit.

So I decided to hunt for "titless" rubbers on ebay. And guess what ? I got a pair of like new bumpers for ... 15 Euros ... ! ...
celluloid3
Where did you get the plugs from?

QUOTE(siverson @ May 12 2010, 02:41 AM) *

I'm not too crazy about the "hole plugs", but it's still so much better than the bumper tits, IMO.
Nie Zu Alt
HD Racing (Home Depot) carries the plugs.
tat2dphreak
damn, I thought this was another danica thread when I saw the title...
BigDBass
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ May 12 2010, 09:05 AM) *

Oh? idea.gif And what about your Stoya doll? shades.gif
MrZir
I understand why they are there, but count me in the camp that much prefers them not being there. It just looks cleaner to me.
JmuRiz
I want to do this to mine as well, what's the easiest way to remove the bumpers by yourself (I've never done it before)?
gothspeed
Looks fantastic!!!!! Those plugs look factory and your option of putting that 'extra weight' back on is always retained.

I will be going titless as well on my 73' smile.gif
Spoke
I removed the tits and left the holes open. Because the bumper (front) angles inward the holes were not noticeable.
siverson
> Where did you get the plugs from?

Home Depot. (I like that - HD Racing. smile.gif )

> I want to do this to mine as well, what's the easiest way to remove the bumpers by yourself (I've never done it before)?

It's really easy. No need to even jack up the car. Just a 13mm socket and 2 bolts on each side. Turn the front wheels on each side to provide a more access. I used a HD Racing red crate to support the side I wasn't working on. It's a 30 minute project.

> I understand why they are there, but count me in the camp that much prefers them not being there. It just looks cleaner to me.

See, I don't even understand why they are there. If you bump into something it's still just going to badly dent your expensive chrome bumper. I don't see how they help AT ALL. If anything, now I have another 4 inches or so to not bump into something.

-Steve

siverson
Anyone know who "SBM" is? I think the bumpers were re-plated in 2002...

-Steve
KELTY360
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 12 2010, 07:20 AM) *

Maybe we need a Flat Chicks thread. shades.gif
sean_v8_914
4 inches of decceleration prior to metal impact.
4 inches of energy absorbtion prior to trunk deformation.
4 inches of bump warning for teh idiot that will eventually back into your parked car.
yes, the bumper is dented regardless.
but I do I like the clean look
KELTY360
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 12 2010, 11:04 AM) *

4 inches of decceleration prior to metal impact.
4 inches of energy absorbtion prior to trunk deformation.
4 inches of bump warning for teh idiot that will eventually back into your parked car.
yes, the bumper is dented regardless.
but I do I like the clean look

As long as you hit the tit square on. There is no guarantee of that. I think they have a very minimal protective value and were primarily added to satisfy artificial government regs.
sean_v8_914
"you can not change the laws of physics..."
Coy
I got in a small accident in my 73 with tits and it took probably 50% of the impact. It's not really solid it kind of folded over. The bumper pushed into my fender, but it was mostly the tit that took the abuse.

I still don't like the look though. My 74 doesn't have tits and I'm not looking to replace them. Mine is black and the PO used some kind of black plastic plug similar to your chrome ones and I think it looks great.

I love your cars. The change looks a lot better to me.
Tom_T
QUOTE(siverson @ May 11 2010, 11:41 PM) *

Okay - so I voted for keeping it original, which is just my HO & preference, as I like the bumperettes & they saved me more extensive damage in a minor fender bender where someone rolled back into me a couple of months after I got my 73 2L back in 12/75.

That said - the plugs are tacky, so if you're going to do the backdating, then do it right & get a proper 70-72 style front bumper for it, then you might want to have the front plate holes welded closed like my buddy did on his original 71 in the pic below - but you may get ticketed here in CA for no front plate. If I see him Sat., then I'll ask him where, when & how much it cost him - as it may have been done here in OC IIRC.

If you decide to do that, then I need a proper 73 front chrome bumper with the tit holes & back braces for them, & I have a restorable no-tit core from a 71 which you could trade to weld plate bracket holes & get rechomed (plus cash up for yours being in better condition). Plz PM or email me if your interested in the trade or sale of yours. smile.gif

Here's Jerry's 60,750+/- mi 71 original owner Bahia Red/Black, so it even gives you a good idea of how yours would look. Note that this is still the original factory red paint on this 914! drooley.gif wub.gif ....

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 12 2010, 09:20 AM) *

at least she shares them for the good of all mankind smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I was in Houston one time at the Ritz strip club. I saw a beautiful blond stripper with no tits. She had nice nipples, just no tits.
EdwardBlume
I had mine stripped, plugged, and chromed... err.... bumpers that is...
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ May 12 2010, 03:12 PM) *

I had mine stripped, plugged, and chromed... err.... bumpers that is...

Geez Rob, I could've brought my 71 front up to trade you when I came up 2 weeks ago & saved you the hole welding! biggrin.gif

BTW - I told Jeff about your house/stalking story & he got a laugh & said you tell it to everyone (good story!), & also visited with James Smith in Redwood city while up there!

If anyone else out there is tempted to plug a nice core 73-74 chrome bumper's tit-holes & you're nearby, then trade me for my core 71 without the holes & save the "dimple effect" that they get where the holes are (look close at Jerry's license plate bracket holes in the red 71 which I posted above after you click on the pic for the big pic & enlarge it to full size)!

To backdate, all you'll need is to have mine stripped, brazed & rechromed, & I get a core from you to rechrome with the tit-holes for my 73 2L resto! biggrin.gif
If Steve here wants it - he has first dibs, otherwise PM or email me.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
bigkensteele
I think that your plugs look fine (bumper - not hair), and they allow you to put the boobs back on if you ever choose to show it. You solved the problem for $5 rather than $500+. That is $495 you can spend on go-faster stuff like that whirly thing you put on your exhaust pipe.
Pat Garvey
Please leavit alone - it's a nice 914. Way too many of these cars have been maimed, brutalized, raced & trashed. Most can never be brought back.

Appreciated what you have (and it looks nice), and maintain it.

I, for one, have always been enamoured by tits (914's, of course).
Pat
jmill
Mosquito bite like plugs are fine by me. Plus it shows she's down for anything that doesn't cause permanent damage. No matter what anybody tells you, what's really important is how she handles.

Stoya wub.gif
lotus_65
i found some glossy black poly caps which i like better than the hd chrome-ette ones you got. (my eyes get annoyed when i see too many reflections/highlights where they shouldn't be). and the black makes the former holes appear structural.

also, because we act safer behind the wheel of our teeners than our dd's, i can easily justify pulling marginally effective equipment in favor of vanity.

thefleur
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(siverson @ May 11 2010, 10:41 PM) *

How are you going to milk it?
siverson
> How are you going to milk it?

914 man boobs don't produce milk!

-Steve
TROJANMAN
You can milk anything with nipples.......
-Focker
flipb
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 13 2010, 01:30 PM) *

You can milk anything with nipples.......
-Focker

Ah, but my [914's] tits are nipple-less.

Still, I voted for keeping them. After all, where else can you paint the scary face like a WWII fighter plane?
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(siverson @ May 13 2010, 09:57 AM) *

> How are you going to milk it?

914 man boobs don't produce milk!

-Steve

Steve - they produce that reddish-brown stuff inside that leaks out, if they're old enough! biggrin.gif

Talk about "milking a topic"!!!! lol-2.gif
kkid
IPB Image
[/quote]

Hey siverson, it looks nice and clean! beerchug.gif
Where did you find the 3/8" plug????
None of my local hardware stores has this size if it comes in a metal. Should I check Michaels'?
Tom_T
[quote name='kkid' date='May 14 2010, 09:34 PM' post='1318497']
IPB Image
[/quote]

Hey siverson, it looks clean and nice! beerchug.gif
Where did you find the 3/8" plug????
None of my local hardware stores has this size if it comes in a metal. Should I check Michaels'?
[/quote]

Try Pep Boys, Ace, Arrow, Home Despot, Lowes, etc. - anyone which handles the Crown Bolt products on the packagie in the pic, or similar plugs. You can google them, but they only sell to retailers.
siverson
I got them at Home Depot. In the hardware section, in the pull out drawers with "special" hardware.

-Steve
kkid
QUOTE(siverson @ May 14 2010, 10:45 PM) *

I got them at Home Depot. In the hardware section, in the pull out drawers with "special" hardware.

-Steve

Thanks Steve beerchug.gif

Looks like this will be my weekend project wub.gif
lotus_65
drown the bolts in penetrating oil...
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(kkid @ May 15 2010, 03:16 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ May 14 2010, 10:45 PM) *

-Steve

Thanks Steve beerchug.gif

Looks like this will be my weekend project wub.gif

Perhaps helpful info to those who haven't done this yet:

I have a 73' bumper on my 72' and just recently removed the rusty plugs that were a decade old when the tits were first removed, and because I'm super picky I compared the Home Depot plug by Crown Bolt and the Lowes plug of the same size manufactured by Hillman Fastener IIRC and it was a bit nicer and had slightly more substantial clips on the back... although if no Lowes is in your area both will work. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 15 2010, 08:56 AM) *

drown the bolts in penetrating oil...

PB Blaster to be specific! Nothing can withstand its power... happy11.gif
thomasotten
I bought mine at Lowes. Who knew they sold 914 parts? I also bought my new center console from Lowes.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 15 2010, 12:40 PM) *

I bought mine at Lowes. Who knew they sold 914 parts? I also bought my new center console from Lowes.

Ha tell me about it... I used to be a Home Depot fan but Lowes has a speciality hardware section 10x the size of Home Depot... sure you've gotta buy you're stainless metric nuts in $$$ packs of two but it's better than nothing!

BTW... don't ask why but your avatar + the caption is the best ever; drooley.gif anyway I could get a larger original emailed to me?

I've still yet to update my avatar but I just got my bumpers back on with new tops! Didn't think anyone would want to see "barn find" photos of the concrete cell my 914 had been trapped in since 1998. sad.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 15 2010, 09:40 AM) *

You can morph anything they sell..except shower doors? idea.gif
BTW.......I got knocker's on my 75' bye1.gif(big bumper's)
gothspeed
Between Ace hardware and McMaster Carr, who needs Auto Atlanta? ..... wink.gif!!!

BTW ......... on a 1973 GT replica with steel flares .......... tits or no tits???
ripper911
I'll keep the tits on my car, I like how it extends the front end visually. ph34r.gif
siverson
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 16 2010, 07:29 AM) *

on a 1973 GT replica with steel flares .......... tits or no tits???

GT flares & bumper tits?!?! That's just wrong...

[Sandbox image removed by Admin]
Sleepin
How come I couldn't vote for tiny tits? They usually don't sag over time.

Mine:
IPB Image
Cairo94507
Wow, that is a nice compromise. I have never seen "A Cup" tits on a 914. They look nice.

If I had a 73/74 I would be one of those who found an early bumper and sold/traded my later bumper. I have to agree that there are probably many people restoring their later model 914's and want the bumpers which accept tits.

Personally, I really like the clean look of the front end with no tits and the factory valance.
charliew
Thie sorta reminds me of my friends rubber bumper corvette. He redid the paint and the rubber bumpers were changed to fg which looked a lot straighter and of course the color matched. this was in the 80's. he got backed into and the front bumper and the drivers fender got broke up. The ins. said too bad because it didn't have the factory bumper on it. They said there was a good chance the rubber bumper would have saved the fender so fix it yourself.
kerensky
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 1 2010, 07:19 AM) *

How come I couldn't vote for tiny tits? They usually don't sag over time.
I always said that more than a handful was a waste. Then married a girl who is, erm, a bit more than a handful (in every possible way!)
Black22
The only ones I want I married so I bought my 74 w/o tits or holes. I have had the bumpers off and did not see any signs of filling in holes so I assume that they are backdated. I'll find out when the front goes to chrome soon. If I would have done the conversion I would have backdated. in the end I think it makes it look faster when its parked!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.