Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: all the 1.8 guys with L-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I have a very nice running car now (thank god) finally. i dont want such a heavy pedal, i find i loose speed between shifting. i cant run without a spring going from the throtle armature to the metal torsion bar for the trunk. I have been trying smaller springs and find that the respones is awesome but they wont close the throttle all the way from a a slow down traffic light. i have to punch the pedal one time to close it and idle where i want it.

do you guys just deal with the heavy pedal, or is there a better way to get the really light pedal feel with a good close all the way action.

is it just me???

driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
No reason at all to have a heavy pedal. The only problem with the 1.8 accelerator linkage is the throttle body when it wears. One has to "break loose" the throttle initially and then it is smooth.
Other than that a good condition well lubed accelerator cable and an accelerator pedal that has a good internal hinge and good well lubricated pedal cluster bushings make for a lightly pushing accelerator pedal and smooth action

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 12 2010, 10:44 AM) *

I have a very nice running car now (thank god) finally. i dont want such a heavy pedal, i find i loose speed between shifting. i cant run without a spring going from the throtle armature to the metal torsion bar for the trunk. I have been trying smaller springs and find that the respones is awesome but they wont close the throttle all the way from a a slow down traffic light. i have to punch the pedal one time to close it and idle where i want it.

do you guys just deal with the heavy pedal, or is there a better way to get the really light pedal feel with a good close all the way action.

is it just me???

driving.gif

zonedoubt
I have the spring.
Rav914
I have the spring, but like George said I need to "break loose" the throttle before I start the car. The throttle plate sticks. It's on the list of things to clean this winter.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 12 2010, 12:44 PM) *

is it just me???

driving.gif

I took my spring out. The throttle plate does stick a little. I am toying with the idea of making a stop so the throttle plate does not get so tightly wedged in place. I think the extra spring is a safety device in case the one on the body breaks. Since the throttle plate has a tendency to stick and get wedged in place, I felt I didn't need any additional force.
ClayPerrine
The solution to the sticking throttle is to get the throttle body rebuilt. The plate wears a groove on the inside of the throttle body, and that makes it stick. A competent machinist can take the throttle body, bore it and make a new plate. Plus he can put in new bushings while he is in there.

Had that done to Betty's throttle body. It works smooth with no sticking. And yes, run the spring. The one on the throttle body is supposed to be a backup in case the main spring breaks.

And the other end of the spring should connect to a small hole in the top of the rear tin, not the torsion bar.

zx-niner
Had a spring and lived with the stickyness.
type47
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2010, 07:33 PM) *

And the other end of the spring should connect to a small hole in the top of the rear tin, not the torsion bar.

agree.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ May 12 2010, 02:40 PM) *

I have the spring.

So..I'll jump to the next topic! bye1.gif yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.