Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waxing Querie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
OK...now that "pickle" is running well, I wanna turn my attention to her looks (even though she looks pretty damn good right now). I'm a carnuba kinda guy, and use Griots products. I believe in claying too. My question is, since the car is new to me, should I start from scratch by stripping whatever is on there now? I;ve done this before by washing with Dawn, but wondered if I should use a chemical wax stripper...the stuff body shops use to prep a car. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and opinions.
rwilner
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 12 2010, 02:30 PM) *

OK...now that "pickle" is running well, I wanna turn my attention to her looks (even though she looks pretty damn good right now). I'm a carnuba kinda guy, and use Griots products. I believe in claying too. My question is, since the car is new to me, should I start from scratch by stripping whatever is on there now? I;ve done this before by washing with Dawn, but wondered if I should use a chemical wax stripper...the stuff body shops use to prep a car. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and opinions.

claying the car will strip off all the wax, plus remove a lot of the dirt in the top layer of paint.

Pick up the mothers clay kit at your local FLAPS.
kenshapiro2002
I use Griot's clay with their Speed Shine. Can't imagine that claying removes wax. Really?

QUOTE(rwilner @ May 12 2010, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 12 2010, 02:30 PM) *

claying the car will strip off all the wax, plus remove a lot of the dirt in the top layer of paint.

Pick up the mothers clay kit at your local FLAPS.

rwilner
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 12 2010, 03:39 PM) *

I use Griot's clay with their Speed Shine. Can't imagine that claying removes wax. Really?

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqC...amp;section=_71

Unless your wax is fresh, the clay will get just about all of your wax off.

Clay is da shizz.
kenshapiro2002
Says clay will remove some of the wax. And therefore they recommend throwing on some more Meguire's afterward. Doesn't sound like clay will really get me down to the paint for a fresh start. Thanks though.

QUOTE(rwilner @ May 12 2010, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 12 2010, 03:39 PM) *

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqC...amp;section=_71

Unless your wax is fresh, the clay will get just about all of your wax off.

Clay is da shizz.

turboman808
Griots wax is without a doubt the worst wax I have ever used. I have a full bottle if someone wants it. For carnuba I like PoorBoys or P21s. Both are reasonably priced. DODO makes some great wax but it's very expensive.

Should always use clay before you wax.

should also use polishing compound and glaze before you wax.

Griots makes some really good products but not their wax. They make the best wheel cleaner I have tried. Just ordered their leather cleaner after many recommendations and let ya know how it works.

Dish soap strips wax off a car. Which is why you never want to use it unless you are trying to strip the car.
markb
I've been told that washing with dishwashing detergent gets all the wax off. Maybe true, maybe not. confused24.gif
rwilner
FWIW this is the best wax combo i've tried, I only apply by hand though, so if you have an orbital there may be superior products out there.

I do my truck with this once a year and the water beads up right until it's time to wax again.

http://www.autogeek.net/klassekit.html
rwilner
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 12 2010, 04:43 PM) *

They make the best wheel cleaner I have tried.

Turboman
is it safe for anodized wheels like our fuchs?
underthetire
Waxing is for the girl friends private parts. biggrin.gif

I don't like to wax my car much, so I use Nu-Finish. That crap stays on a long time and seems to seal the paint enough so my greasy hand prints come right off. All the Carnuba stuff seems to only last a month.
whatabout1
I like the Griot's stuff. The paint sealer is on my daily drivers.

The Best of Show is on my good car. But it won't stand up to the weather.

I can't stand that Meguire guy.
PRS914-6
OK, perfect timing. I just used the Mequairs new liquid wax called NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 a synthetic compound. Previously used their Gold Class liquid with good success.

With my black car you have to be really careful. I don't like paste waxes and Carnuba's require too much rubbing and pressure to come off risking towel scratches but it does seem to last a long time, I just can't risk it though.

The Tech 2 went on really easy and wiped off clean, easy, and a really nice gloss. So far I'm quite happy and anyone who has seen my car knows I am pretty picky about it.

But if you don't like Meguairs it won't matter.

I have also used the Klasse for my other cars with good success. Goes on super easy, gloss is so-so, wipes off super easy but overall doesn't last as long as others I have tried. I don't use it on the 914
kharma
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 12 2010, 04:44 PM) *

FWIW this is the best wax combo i've tried, I only apply by hand though, so if you have an orbital there may be superior products out there.

I do my truck with this once a year and the water beads up right until it's time to wax again.

http://www.autogeek.net/klassekit.html

Klasse is great stuff, I've done claybar->AIO->SG on my last several cars and they always come out great. I'm pretty lazy with the detailing, and usually end up doing it once, twice a year tops.
Tom_T
Old school I iz!

I still use the can of 1970's "Classic" 100% Carnuba Wax & do it all by hand! biggrin.gif
but that's on the other cars lately, since my 914's resto is a long long ways off! dry.gif
72914S
I`m still using "Liquid Glass" once a year.
Tom_T
Ken, check with your local PCA chapter & they'll often offer detailing seminars put on by suppliers at other events, or as a part of a Concours Judging school - especially in the warmer months back east there. You may need to join, but $42 per year is worth the 2 magazines per month - Panorama & local mag, let alone the other events - even if you're not anal enough to be a CW (I'm certainly not).

Happy "Wax on, Wax off"! beerchug.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(72914S @ May 12 2010, 03:46 PM) *

I`m still using "Liquid Glass" once a year.

I've looked at that can in FLAPS for about 10 years now thinking I will try it. Can you explain how you like it, ease of application ? Thanks
turboman808
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 12 2010, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 12 2010, 04:43 PM) *

They make the best wheel cleaner I have tried.

Turboman
is it safe for anodized wheels like our fuchs?

I'm really not sure. It's the recommended cleaner for BBS wheels. I always say it's comparable to P21s but at 1/5th the price.
wheel cleaner

I would also recommend poor boys wheel sealant. Great product!

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 12 2010, 03:16 PM) *

Old school I iz!

I still use the can of 1970's "Classic" 100% Carnuba Wax & do it all by hand! biggrin.gif
but that's on the other cars lately, since my 914's resto is a long long ways off! dry.gif

No such thing as %100 carnuba. %100 is hard as a rock and impossible to work with. Griots wax stick is about the purest wax you can buy and it's a pain in the ass to work with. No possibly way to apply it by hand. It's about 75% carnuba I think.

I've used tech wax and klasse and both are great products for daily drivers(sealant not a wax). Tech Wax seems to last a very long time. Currently using Mothers reflections on the daily drivers, poor boys white diamonds glaze and nattys red wax on the 914.
tod914
I start with the Mothers clay bar system (glad you guys chimed in when I asked about clay'n). Then the PS21 paint cleaner combined with Mequires scratch remover. 50/50 dab of each on a soft cotton cloth really brings out the luster in the paint. Tried the Tech wax by Mequires and am very satisfied with the end result. I don't let any of the products dry on. Then wipe it off soon as it's applied & buff by hand. The PS21 wax looks great for a show, but it doesn't last long. PS21 wheel cleaner.. be carefull it can stain your wheels. The Griots products I tried I really like; rubber cleaner, tire dressing, and chrome wheel cleaner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.