Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will stock distributor work with my new weber 40's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RMally
I'm hoping to get the carbs on this week, but wanted to know if the stock distributor is ok to use.

It seems in the past I remember reading something about changing the distributor but wasn't 100% sure.

I currently do not have EI, will that matter as well.

Thanks,

SLITS
Supposedly an 050 or stock 1.8L distributor has a better advance curve for carbs. You didn't say what you had anyway.
r_towle
Yes it will work.
If you have a choice, the Ljet distributor is a better choice.

Either one has a better advance curve than an 009.
If you are at a VW swap meet and happen to find an 050 distributor, those work pretty well also.

rich
RMally
Thanks, I did forget to say it's a 1974 model 1.8

r_towle
your all set.
If you hook up the vacuum advance to the little port on one of the webers (both if you want to do it right) then you will enjoy it.

Go to Aircooled.net to read up on running the vacuum advance with the webers...he has a decent few articles about the distributor.

Rich
ClayPerrine
Then use the stock distributor.

And float test the 009. If you throw it in the lake and it floats, use it.

70_914
Did you change your cam to one more meant for carburetors? If your cam is too big it won't make any vacuum and your vacuum advance distributor will be worthless....

That is the way I build VW motors.... biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
Not to hi-jack here but how do you tell the difference between an 009 and the 050? Is it written on there somewhere?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ May 14 2010, 07:20 AM) *

Not to hi-jack here but how do you tell the difference between an 009 and the 050? Is it written on there somewhere?

Usually says 009 or 050 in the part number on the side of the dist.

There are also a couple of dizzy's that have worked well on carb'd 914-4's from 356's or 912's. I think they are the 010's? Can't remember. But they are a dist that is designed for carbs and cams for carbs etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.