Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my wheels are trashed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Ok, not exactly trashed, but there are water spots (or something) if you look closely. smile.gif I had these refinished a couple months ago and they were perfect, but now all have a couple of these little spots. It's on the anodized section.

Any tips on how to remove?

Also what is the "correct" finish for the lug bolts. I've seen some cars with black plastic caps over them - is that from the factory or dealer? Is do they just need to be repainted every time I remove a wheel... confused24.gif

-Steve

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
siverson
I just tried Vaseline, no luck. The anodized parts do look better, but the big spots are still there...
al weidman
Steve, the wheel lugs from the factory did have black plastic caps. Most were shortly discarded. You can have the lugs silver cad plated which will be more durable or paint them silver and touchup after installation. I remember a thread on this subject and there were other suggestions for finishing as well. Al
al weidman
And you can use laquer thinner to remove the spots. They appear to be oil spots or perhaps from your tire stuff. Usually washing your wheels with a wash mit, mild car soap and water and towel dry will keep them clean. Al.
siverson
> And you can use laquer thinner to remove the spots

Thanks, I'll try in the morning. I'm been afraid to put the wrong chemicals on and mess them up...

-Steve
Tom_T
Steve - it could also be spotted from the brake dust, which is pretty caustic stuff! dry.gif

Those black plastic caps Ed was talking about must've been to protect them in shipment, because I don't recall seeing them on any showroom floor back in 1972-76. confused24.gif

The factory lugs may still be available, or re-cad/zinc plate the ones you have, or there are several vendors on TheSamba selling chromed repros, but make sure that they have the proper semi-spherical acorn shape to fit the inset in the wheels & the "lag" of the threads at the top to prevent scoring the alloys' lug holes.

Here's a pic of the correct original wheels finish & lugs on Steve Gaglione's 73 Sahara Beige 2.0 - never been refinished (more pix in O&H under "The few, the rare..." & "Wheels & Tires" nailed threads.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps! beerchug.gif
plymouth37
Totally off topic but Steve Gaglione's 73 is absolutely gorgeous!
burton73
I just got plastic chrome plated decorative caps that you just push on and pull off. I got mine on Ebay but you can get them at A Volvo dealer.

Bob
markb
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 13 2010, 06:22 PM) *

I just got plastic chrome plated decorative caps that you just push on and pull off.

agree.gif That's what I have on mine too.
siverson
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 13 2010, 01:43 AM) *

Those black plastic caps Ed was talking about must've been to protect them in shipment, because I don't recall seeing them on any showroom floor back in 1972-76. confused24.gif

Yeah, I sold a 73 1.7 (also Bahia Red) about 2 years ago that had ~22,000 original miles when I bought it. It was 99.9% perfect and 100% original - and it also had black plastic caps on the wheel bolts. I had not seen them before, and I wasn't sure if a previous added them or what. Because the lugs were scratched underneath (like and car that has ever had the wheel removed). Here is a photo I found where you can see the caps on my old car (now in NorCal somewhere...):

IPB Image

-Steve

siverson
Ooops, I mean to post this one:

IPB Image
914four
Maybe I am wrong but I thought the black plastic caps only came on the steel wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.