Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs Suck!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Hey everyone, I have a 71 1.7 with a single barrel webber carb and it seems like the carburator just doesnt work right. The car bogs down spits sputters and backfires when going up hills like it has no fuel going to the system. Thinking about switching over to the D-jettronic system. Whats involved and where can I pick up this whole fuel injection sytem for a descent price? Thanks

Matt

hey I retract my earlier statement. I have one two barrel webber carb
mk114
Well Mat I know people change to a carb Because of issues with the original Motor.

How is the compression of the Motor?

As far as orginal post in the clasifieds
McMark
You have one single barrel carb on there? If so, I would absolutely look into either dual carbs (dual singles, dual IDFs) or stock FI.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 13 2010, 09:18 AM) *

You have one single barrel carb on there? If so, I would absolutely look into either dual carbs (dual singles, dual IDFs) or stock FI.

agree.gif The old 70's gutless Hondas had single carbs. You won't get much out of one.
VaccaRabite
Carbs suck? Oh yeah? Well FI blows! wink.gif

If the motor is in good shape, changing over to a functional d-jet will be the best thing you can do for the car.

Zach
zymurgist
Single carbs are the worst. The intake runners are not designed to carry a fuel-air mixture all the way from the plenum and the fuel condenses and pools. D-Jet is the best when it works, but parts are getting expen$ive. A pair of dual throat Webers is second best for a motor with original FI cam.
Root_Werks
Matt,

I've had both FI and carb's on dozens of 914's I've owned. FI IS better in almost every way, buuuuut, carbs will usually do the job and do it well. I'm going to give you an example of carb diag that I just went through this week:

Tues, my dual carb'd 914-4 2.0 was running on 3 cyl's felt like. Couple of the local teener guys reminded me to STOP driving the car until I got it figured out. So yesterday, I start from GROUND ZERO:

Test your compression if you haven't done it recently. Dropped seat? Incorrect lash? etc. I tested mine cold for the first time on this engine and came up with the following:

4-140
3-131
2-141
1-121

So for a 75' 2.0 still within spec, barely, but still cool.

Okay, so the "dead" cyl is #4 (doesn't respond to carb adjustments).

Step -2

All plugs I pulled did look nice and clean, so back in they went, not that old.

Step - 3

Double checked the points, did adjust them a little, nothing bad though.

Step - 4

Remove air cleaner tops and start car. Yup, there they are, all three cyl's popping away. I hit the throttle and kept my head over each barrel watching the action (Warning, a backfire will clean your eyebrows right off). Doing this, I noticed the accelerator pump wasn't squirting on #4.

Step - 5

Remove carb top on that side, remove needed pieces, blow through, clean, put back together.

VROOM!

4 cyls.

Does all this apply to your situation? Probably not, but I wanted to lay out a process of diagnosis of an issue. It usually winds up being something pretty simple.

Good luck and keep us posted!
IronHillRestorations
A single progressive carb sucks. A correctly setup, set of dual carbs work pretty well IMHO. Getting the right venturi and jet package for your engine is critical, bigger isn't better, correct is better. Yes, on a stock engine the original FI will give you the best mileage and potentially a longer life from your engine, but the carbs won't require obsolete parts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(matteyp @ May 13 2010, 09:11 AM) *

Hey everyone, I have a 71 1.7 with a single barrel webber carb and it seems like the carburator just doesnt work right. The car bogs down spits sputters and backfires when going up hills like it has no fuel going to the system. Thinking about switching over to the D-jettronic system. Whats involved and where can I pick up this whole fuel injection sytem for a descent price? Thanks

Matt

My kind of man!!!!!!!!!! you should be able to find a kit on e bay for no more than five hundred dollars.
70_914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 13 2010, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 13 2010, 09:18 AM) *

agree.gif The old 70's gutless Hondas had single carbs. You won't get much out of one.

70's amazing muscle cars had single carbs also....

A poorly tuned dual carb setup or a poorly tuned FI setup won't make anything better if all the single carb needs is some tuning.

matteyp
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 13 2010, 09:53 AM) *

Matt

My kind of man!!!!!!!!!! you should be able to find a kit on e bay for no more than five hundred dollars.

hmm...was that sarcasm? seems pricey..
KELTY360

Matt

welcome.png

Where are you in WA? I think I have most of the pieces you'd need to switch to D-jet for a 1.7. With the other guys around here we should be able to help you make the switch.
zymurgist
QUOTE(70_914 @ May 13 2010, 12:57 PM) *

70's amazing muscle cars had single carbs also....

But they also had intake manifolds with short runners, and the manifolds were designed to be used with carbs. Retrofitting a single carb atop the 914 fuel injection plenum is just asking to be rolling that stone uphill IMO.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(matteyp @ May 13 2010, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 13 2010, 09:53 AM) *

Matt

hmm...was that sarcasm? seems pricey..

$500 seems about right. The last carb to FI conversion I did was $200 on the used FI parts, $300 for the rest of the missing parts and about another $500 for replacement parts.

Price a AAR and make sure you don't have any liquid in your mouth because you'll probably spit it out on your monitor. wink.gif
matteyp
Kelty, I'm in the Seattle area. Just pm'd u.
PeeGreen 914
Where in the Seattle area. There is a lot of us around here wink.gif
matteyp
Beacon hill area off 16th ave
PeeGreen 914
Cool. I think Geoff lives in Beacon Hill
Root_Werks
There is a lot of local support as Jon said in this area. Once you decide which way to go, there will be parts and support.
jmill
I love carbs. Get duals and a new cam and never look back. Like others have said, the single progressive is less than optimal.
carr914
Yep, the Single Holley/Weber carb doesn't work well as others have said. With those long intake runners it will alway run lean.

Get some duels or FI. Take advantage of your local Teeners, just have lots of Beer for them to drink. drunk.gif
Root_Werks
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.