Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0L CHT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I fear mine may need replacing. Even if it doesn't now, I'm sure it will SOME day.

My search has revealed that I am more likely to find a leprechaun than one of these elusive parts.

Do they exist? Is anyone making them?

George?? sad.gif
benalishhero
0280130012 ?

rmital
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 13 2010, 04:09 PM) *

I fear mine may need replacing. Even if it doesn't now, I'm sure it will SOME day.

My search has revealed that I am more likely to find a leprechaun than one of these elusive parts.

George?? sad.gif

why do you think you need one????
914Sixer
012 or 017. The only difference is in the length of the wire. Autohausaz.com has the 012 for $12.32 on sale right now.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 13 2010, 01:09 PM) *

George?? sad.gif

I am old and slow. Please what is a cht?
SLITS
George, I believe you would know it as Temperature Sensor II - Cylinder Head Temperature (Sensor).

or is is I?

Oh well ...............
rmital
QUOTE(rmital @ May 13 2010, 04:26 PM) *

George?? sad.gif

I still want to know why Rich thinks he needs one confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rmital @ May 13 2010, 02:01 PM) *

George?? sad.gif

They are all basically the same one has a longer wire than the other and the residual resistance is different in some but with the old cars, they all work just fine and we will have the sensors for years to come. We call them head temperature sensors, I should have known!!!! CHT (old and slow!)
rwilner
QUOTE(rmital @ May 13 2010, 05:01 PM) *

George?? sad.gif

Ray
Remember the issue i'm having where I have to crank the engine for 8s or so for it to catch and fire up only when the engine is cold? I'm pretty sure it's my timing which i'm going to adjust this weekend...but the research i've done is leading me to believe if that doesn't fix it, my cht may be the cause.

Clearly I have to check the one that's installed with my multimeter to verify, but when I started searching for a replacement in anticipation of finding it's bad and couldn't find one, I started to get nervous...

pbanders site lists only one part # for the 73 2.0L:
022 906 041 A 0 280 130 017

the 012 is listed for all the other cars, 70 through 76, 1.7L or 2.0L (not sure about 1.8L).

to recap: the consensus here is that the 012 will work with the 73 2.0L?
rwilner
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='May 13 2010, 05:19 PM' We call them head temperature sensors, I should have known!!!! CHT (old and slow!)
[/quote]

George, that explains why my searches on your website came up empty!

I wish every car I owned had a resource like the world and club sites. This place is the best wub.gif
Tom_T

George?? sad.gif

Rich - I've had the same luck trying to find a 017 one online as a new/NOS back-up for my 73 2L - one let me order but refunded the next day, so their website was out of date, like the topic in here about them coming from Pelican as 012's, instead of 017s that someone posted last week.

I checked with the 914-harness-meister Jeff Bowlsby & he says that they both spec out the same (012 & 017). so that, taken with the longer wire explanations by a couple of Teeners above (George included), I'd say that they're the same, just a comparable & serviceable superceded part from Bosch.

So George & all - which one has the longer wire - the older 017 p/n, or the newer p/n 012 ?? confused24.gif

laugh.gif George, I have the same problem with these acronyms we all throw around on here, & am slowly getting pulled "into the groove" myself! lol-2.gif
Tom_T

George?? sad.gif

shades.gif BTW - Rich, you've been a member here for almost 2 months now & owned your 73 2.0 914 for about what? - 4 weeks now - Geez young man, shouldn't you have posted your "new" 914's VIN & other info with pix on here by now buddy!!?? biggrin.gif

... get with the program man! type.gif

We're all waiting to see something other than your I found my 914, I picked up my 914, I'm towing my 914 backwards posts of it on a trailer! ... we all know it's been running around the block at least by now, even if illegally!!! lol-2.gif

No seriously though - really - try to get all of your VIN, engine, chassis, paint code nos. in there with a description & pix of your ride & story, cuz it helps everyone track the 914s. I was admonished to get my butt in gear to add the donor shell by another member for the same reason, so I'm passing it along! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 13 2010, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ May 13 2010, 05:01 PM) *

George?? sad.gif

Ray
Remember the issue i'm having where I have to crank the engine for 8s or so for it to catch and fire up only when the engine is cold? I'm pretty sure it's my timing which i'm going to adjust this weekend...but the research i've done is leading me to believe if that doesn't fix it, my cht may be the cause.

Clearly I have to check the one that's installed with my multimeter to verify, but when I started searching for a replacement in anticipation of finding it's bad and couldn't find one, I started to get nervous...

pbanders site lists only one part # for the 73 2.0L:
022 906 041 A 0 280 130 017

the 012 is listed for all the other cars, 70 through 76, 1.7L or 2.0L (not sure about 1.8L).

to recap: the consensus here is that the 012 will work with the 73 2.0L?

FYI Rich & All -

The PET available for download now at the Porsche website (dated 2008 IIRC) only lists the ...012 for the 74-76 2.0, but the older 10-11-2005 paper PET I have lists 3 - including the old 017 for 73 2.0L at Illustration 117-10 pg.003, as follows:

022-906-041-A (...017) >> GA0-006-765 (i.e.: 2.0's GA000001 - GA006765 in 73 MY)

311-906-041-A (...012) GA006766 - >>GA016000 (i.e.: 74-75 MYs' 2.0s)

039-971-762-A (...???) GA0-016000 >> (76 MY I presume, but why the change I do not know, probably smog controls related?)

Yes Rich - IMHO you'll need to replace it someday when it's truly the cause, but it sounds like the 012 available today works the same & either has a longer or shorter wire than the 017 for our 73 2.0's, so no need to jump on one until/unless needed ~ since if it's a currently available part & you buy it to store, then you'll lose the warranty on it if you happen to get a rogue bum one sent to you & cannot return it for another in the future! dry.gif

Cold start problems are more often in my past experience due to a list of other things - including the so called "Cold Start Valve" - which is actually like a 5th injector in the throttle body, used to enrichen the cold start mixture in the same way an auto or manual choke does on a carb. Back when mine was a DD I had to replace it a couple of times with those symptoms.

idea.gif

So folks - since this is a Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor - shouldn't it be abbreviates/acronym'ed to "CHTS"?? confused24.gif

I drank the water once on a surf trip to Baja Mexico back in the 70's & got the CHTS really bad! icon8.gif stromberg.gif barf.gif dry.gif
av-943.gif

rwilner
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 13 2010, 06:23 PM) *

shades.gif BTW - Rich, you've been a member here for almost 2 months now & owned your 73 2.0 914 for about what? - 4 weeks now - Geez young man, shouldn't you have posted your "new" 914's VIN & other info with pix on here by now buddy!!?? biggrin.gif

Ha!

I promise I will do this weekend. I would have done it tonight...

but....

I just got back from driving it for 3 hrs! driving.gif

top off on a cool late spring night. is there anything better??
r_towle
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 13 2010, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 13 2010, 06:23 PM) *

Ha!

I promise I will do this weekend. I would have done it tonight...

but....

Get the timing set right.
When cold, turn the key on and off three times.
Fourth time, start the car.
If that works, you might want to change fuel filter, fuel tank sock and check all your fuel lines for leaks....including the cold start injector.

My car, same climate starts right up with NO cold start injector, NO AAR valve and NO decel valve.
Start like a champ running points and condensor.
My cold start injector was leaking and stuck open partially.
When cold it flooded the motor.
When parked it leat all the pressure out of the system.
I routed around it....it starts fine.

Rich
scrz914
Okay, I've got a used 017 and a brand new 012 in front of me. With my recently purchased multimeter I'm getting these readings at room temp:
1.5k ohms for the 017
2.0k ohms for the 012

This is very close to Brad Ander's listings on his website. BTW, he's adamant that if you have the 73 ecu that you use the 017 cht. Right now, for me, it's all theory. But I'll be installing the 017 with Mayuer's spacer this weekend and I'll see if there's any difference. I realize that there's so many variables now that these FI parts are so old. It may make no difference what part you use.

BTW, the leads are the same length.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 13 2010, 06:44 PM) *

shades.gif Yup, there sure is! -
... try a summer drive - top off & Beach Boys blaring on the 8-Track - cruisin' along Pacific Coast Hwy. in sunny SoCal! happy11.gif

Don't tell your wife or S.O., but 914's are Babe-magnets, as this period pic from Porsche clearly shows, & we all know that Porsche wouldn't lie about something as critically important as that!!?? biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

It gives the "Little Deuce Coupe" song a whole new meaning!
Porsche rated it as a 2+1 roadster for a very good reason - blue suit in the center seat/cushion, green suit in passenger seat ~ & enjoy 1st, 3rd & 5th gear! happy11.gif

.... so I retort RW ~ is there anything better??
shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 13 2010, 09:45 PM) *

Okay, I've got a used 017 and a brand new 012 in front of me. With my recently purchased multimeter I'm getting these readings at room temp:
1.5k ohms for the 017
2.0k ohms for the 012

This is very close to Brad Ander's listings on his website. BTW, he's adamant that if you have the 73 ecu that you use the 017 cht. Right now, for me, it's all theory. But I'll be installing the 017 with Mayuer's spacer this weekend and I'll see if there's any difference. I realize that there's so many variables now that these FI parts are so old. It may make no difference what part you use.

Good info! I guess even the experts can be a bit off on some details.

Let us know what you find out in real world testing.

If they're different in actual performance with the ECU/EFI system, then we'll need to implore Jeff Bowlsby or somebody to make up the equivalent 017s for those of us with the 73 2.0's & 70-73 1.7's that used them.
rwilner
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 13 2010, 11:00 PM) *

When cold, turn the key on and off three times.
Fourth time, start the car.

Rich
I do this as it's actually in George's tech tips 700 book. Makes no difference -- takes 8 to 10s to catch, only when cold.

I made a video of it last night to post here so you guys can see first hand what's happening, i'll post that tonight.

Hopefully setting the timing right this weekend will resolve the issue.

(Hopefully there's a timing mark on my fan!!)
rwilner
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2010, 02:46 AM) *

Don't tell your wife or S.O., but 914's are Babe-magnets

Tom
Of course you realize, and the pic you posted proves, that this only applies to the Orange ones...
kkid
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 13 2010, 09:45 PM) *

1.5k ohms for the 017
2.0k ohms for the 012

Hey, Good Luck on your CHT experiment! cheer.gif

If you haven't sacrificed one of your 13mm deep socket, you can borrow mine.

Tom_T
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 14 2010, 05:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2010, 02:46 AM) *

Don't tell your wife or S.O., but 914's are Babe-magnets

Tom
Of course you realize, and the pic you posted proves, that this only applies to the Orange ones...

Uhhh, nope!

It also works on at least Gold, Copper & Anthracite Grey Metallics too, since mine was all of those 3 colors since I've owned it & while it was my DD 75-85! biggrin.gif
... I also know it worked for my buddy's Bahia Red 72, even if it was a 1.7L!

We'll see if it works when I resto it back to the original L80E Light Ivory though? confused24.gif

Somehow I doubt it, but more because I'm now a 57 year old fart (at least 58-59 by the time it's done), instead of a strapping 20 year old Rugby Player back in the day! lol-2.gif

Heck, it even worked in my mid-thirties when in Grad School & surprised the heck out of a classmate & fellow player when we drove up to Stanford for an inter-MBA Schools Rugby Tourney, but waaaaay too much grey hair now! av-943.gif
914Sixer
Here are pictures of NOS of the head temp sensor 022.906.041A (017) and the 270 resistor 039.971.762A. The tail on the head sensor is about 6" or 15cm. They were both from Porsche about 2 yrs ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.