Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: the Lotus I really really really want to have
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So my best friend and his brother work for Park Place LTD. Every time I go visit I am reminded of all the cool cars I will likely never own. However, there is one that due to my autocross addiction I may end up owning......just may be 20 years from now dry.gif
tat2dphreak
man, if that car doesn't make your pants fit tight, then someone needs to check your pulse, THAT is bad ass!

personally for a modern autocross car, this car looks awesome.

I also love the Caterham 7 though... wub.gif

IPB Image
BigDBass
Maybe a silly question, but curiosity dictates I ask if it's street legal?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 13 2010, 04:25 PM) *

Maybe a silly question, but curiosity dictates I ask if it's street legal?

Nope, not here in Washington at least.
tat2dphreak
probably not here either... I see no turn signals or wipers... windshield is not a real requirement, but wipers are... smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ May 13 2010, 04:23 PM) *

I also love the Caterham 7 though... wub.gif

IPB Image

I hae seen a few of these out here. They look like a blast.

the Lotus would be a killer AX car but at $80k a little tough for something you can't take on the road.

But maybe in the future I will have lots of money and not know what to do with it confused24.gif it could happen blink.gif
tat2dphreak
I hae seen a few of these out here. They look like a blast.

I've yet to see one on the road, but they are supposedly under 40k? confused24.gif

turboman808
Drove an elise years ago and was unimpressed. No torque and a very narrow power band. You had to be spot on with redline shifts to keep it going. Shift to early and its like all the power has been japped from the car.

It they came with paddle shift they would be fantastic cars. Or made power 1000 rpms earlier to give you breathing room.

Me I'm saving to get a dtype or xj13 replica.
plymouth37
Damn, that is sweeet!
championgt1
Yep. That thing is very cool!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Just build yourself a mid engined lotus 7. Should be doable for around 10k with a honda drivetrain.
realred914
drove a lotus seven last month, fast but the 914 handles better.

tat2dphreak
what does this bad boy run for?
PeeGreen 914
This is one of the best handling cars you can buy from a showroom. Plus, it is all where it would fall into class. If you build something it is lumped into a class where you will likely need to dump a good deal more into your car and still not be as cool as this.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ May 14 2010, 08:39 AM) *

what does this bad boy run for?

$80k dry.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 14 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Just build yourself a mid engined lotus 7. Should be doable for around 10k with a honda drivetrain.

The 7 is already mid engine - just mid front instead of mid rear like a 914.

If I could get a 100% open top car, it would be a 7.

Zach
Andyrew
Ya but the new craze for the 7 builders is a true mid ending powerplant, supposed to fix the handling / drifting issue
DBCooper
What handling/drifting issue? And a mid-engined Seven, are you sure? Maybe an 11 or 23, but I"m not aware of any mid-engined (meaning engine behind the driver) Sevens.
PeeGreen 914
A Seven is technically a mid engine car. The engine is between the wheels. The engine does not have to be behind the driver for it to be mid engined.

I have not driven a Seven to know of any drifting issue but I could see it as there isn't much weight toward the rear to help in laying down the power.
6freak
all it needs to be street legal is head lites .....dont need blinkers (Hand signels still legal in WA)or windscreen or wipers and it has more mirrors then one needs to be legal.....for 80k you think it would have matching seats
DBCooper
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 14 2010, 08:45 AM) *

A Seven is technically a mid engine car. The engine is between the wheels. The engine does not have to be behind the driver for it to be mid engined.

I have not driven a Seven to know of any drifting issue but I could see it as there isn't much weight toward the rear to help in laying down the power.

Huh, wasn't aware the term was used that way. It's good to learn something new, thanks. So all Sevens are mid-engined cars, like Corvettes and Vipers.

I have a replica, a modern version with a Sierra fully independent rear, which solves the live-axle chatter of the early Sevens on rough roads. The weight distribution on all Sevens is a nearly perfect 50-50 so four-wheel drifting race track style is fine. Stylized scored drifting, automotive ballroom dancing style, I don't know, but I'd think most don't have enough power for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.