Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tie Rod Bellows Holder Loosening Direction?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Need assist with Passenger side Tie Rod Bellows Holder, Which way do I turn it as facing it (see pic) to loosen it along with the eye bolt? Clockwise or Counter Clockwise?

I already did the driver's side tie rod but the passsenger side is stuck and I am questioning my approach. It has to come off as whomever did it before must have had it out of the car as the Tie Rod placement pin through eye bolt has no room to come out all the way..

Thank You.. ( I do not want to booger it worse that it is)

My approach was counter clockwise but the eye bolt is in so deep it does not have room to back offf, any advice.. please

add fire?

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
IIRC from those that I have disassembled the side in your pic goes to the inside , these are just about jam nuts on the tierod that screws into the rack end. You could try to loosen the tierod eye which may get you the space that you need, remove the tierod , use a bar or something that will give you a good bite on the eye end and turn it in the direction that will unscrew the tierod eye, and yes they will buger easy BTDT ( sucks ).Perhaps you may be able to file the edge down some. Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream
detoxcowboy
Thanks, I undertsand it, I thinnk the problem is whomever put it on did it outside of the car, screwed the eyebolt so deep there are not threads to back off the pictured piece (which is the jam nut for the eyebolt) and on top of that the tie rod bolt that goes throguh the fork side of the tie rod was installed from the reverse side so that there is no room to pull it all the way out while installed in the car without taking the eyebolt out too.

Been there done worse.. I thought I had all the knuckhead previous moron repairs straightened out in my 914. But this is where the love comes in right?
kkid
IIRC it was a counter clock wise for both sides for loosening. It has sticky feeling when turning so hard to tell if is tightening or loosening for the first turn. I used the tie rod as a lever and it worked perfectly.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(kkid @ May 14 2010, 07:21 AM) *

IIRC it was a counter clock wise for both sides for loosening. It has sticky feeling when turning so hard to tell if is tightening or loosening for the first turn. I used the tie rod as a lever and it worked perfectly.

Thats a thought there, I have the middle section the connecting rod off , I will put it back on in a way I can lever it.. Nice.. I was hoping for a fresh mind thought.
Counter clockwise is what I did on the first one but then now we are on the otherside,
plus the lock nut, plus the other threads, and other locknuts on the tie rod, I was tired and threads were everywhere.. Like you said the first movement it itight and it is not budging and I did not want to beat it on tighter or strip tight anything.

I hate striped tight, dealt with that in several ares of the 914 already,

tranny drain plug, oil drain plug, cylinder head exhaust hanger bolts, starter motor
mount.. ect.. ect..

Like superman giving mouth to mouth to a drowning victim and blowing up the victims lungs till they explode..
detoxcowboy

Thats a thought there, I have the middle section the connecting rod off , I will put it back on in a way I can lever it.. Nice.. I was hoping for a fresh mind thought.
Counter clockwise is what I did on the first one but I did not want to beat it on tighter or strip tight anything.

I hate striped tight, dealt with that in several ares of the 914 already,

tranny drain plug, oil drain plug, cylinder head exhaust hanger bolts, starter motor
mount.. ect.. ect..

Like superman giving mouth to mouth to a drowning victim and blowing air into the victims lungs till they explode..
detoxcowboy

You save the day Kid, It worked. Thanks Brother.. ( I did add a torch to it too confused24.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.