Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB P-Side Tail Light Assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
cary_todd
Price shipped to 72903 please.

Problem is, I have power to mine, bulbs are good but apparently sockets are shot. Is there a way to tear into this thing? ....anyway, as the title says. I actually have a friend who wants to ship me one but he is on vacation and would be two weeks before I can get it.

After 3 years I am just about to give my project a first drive. ...need that tail light working.

shoot me an email.
ct
bdstone914
How good of a reflector are you looking for? I have MANY tail light housings in various conditions.
cary_todd
Well it is hard to say. Don't know exactly how to judge the one I have that does work. I think I can clean anything up, so long as nothing is broken or cracked and it works for sure (for sure). I can always polish to make it close to the one I have on the dside... I think.
Tom_T
QUOTE(cary_todd @ May 14 2010, 05:09 AM) *

Price shipped to 72903 please.

Problem is, I have power to mine, bulbs are good but apparently sockets are shot. Is there a way to tear into this thing? ....anyway, as the title says. I actually have a friend who wants to ship me one but he is on vacation and would be two weeks before I can get it.

After 3 years I am just about to give my project a first drive. ...need that tail light working.

shoot me an email.
ct

What makes you think that the sockets are shot? More likely it's a corroded (white stuff usually), loose, or broken connection somewhere.

They're pretty straight forward electrical set-ups, try these first:

1. Clean all corrosion in the sockets & where the harness plugs in, etc. with Wurth Electrical Connections cleaner & those fine electrical wire brushes sold at Home Depot/etc. & FLAPS, steel wool on a toothpick or Q-tip works in tight places too.

2. Check all wiring connections inside & re-solder if needed (inner housing is riveted to the outer housing IIRC, so try not to remove it if possible).

3. Check the end of the wiring harness itself for breaks & loose connections.

BTW - A good way to eliminate the internal wiring problems in #1 above is to hook it up to the working driver side & see if it works there, but still a good idea to clean the connections & sockets on both sides anyway after all these years.

4. And of course, check the fuses & bulbs that they're all good.

5. If still "No Joy" - then look for another housing to test in the right side to make sure it's not in the harness as well.
Tom_T
QUOTE(cary_todd @ May 14 2010, 06:36 AM) *

Well it is hard to say. Don't know exactly how to judge the one I have that does work. I think I can clean anything up, so long as nothing is broken or cracked and it works for sure (for sure). I can always polish to make it close to the one I have on the dside... I think.

The reflectors can also be repainted with chrome spray paint, just mask off everything not to be repainted & put balled-up paper or cotton in the sockets - all to avoid over-spray messing up the looks &/or connections.

But do the trouble shooting above first, & then borrow a working one to check it before buying anudder! biggrin.gif

If not, Bruce has good stuff & is a good guy! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.