Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 017 CHT, spacer, and resistor installed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
In my quest to get better idle I purchased the correct year CHT (017 for the '73 2.0) from WORLD member kkid. Thank you. I also purchased a Brad Mayuer spacer and rigged up a 270 ohm resistor. My idle symptoms with the 012 CHT were that it would idle cold at 1600 rpm for about 3 minutes then drop like a rock as the AAR closed, then die. I could keep it going by feathering the pedal but stop signs were always an adventure. Once warm, it would stay around 900.
I just installed my new setup and it idles so much better. Rpm is about 1500 then slowly comes down to about 1100. I haven't driven it yet. Once I get it good and warm I'll get a better idea of where to set the idle. Then back to the mechanic for a CO analysis. It smells richer now.
I know there have been some posts about the 012 CHT as a good replacement for the '73 2.0 and it may be that if I had put the spacer on that, there would be the same improvement. I didn't want to experiment as this thing was a b**ch to install. I used the "grind the corner of an extension" method along with a deep socket 13mm and it really didn't fit in there well with the MPS and all. It was not really kind to the CHT wire. Probably would have worked if I didn't have the spacer. Anyways, I'll report if there's other idle changes. Right now I'm stoked and going for a ride. aktion035.gif
Tom_T
Well dang!!!! - maybe our hunt for the mysterious & elusive NOS 017 CHTs will go on! dry.gif

Thanx for keeping us all posted on how this works out, as well as for your Ohm Meter readings on the other post comparing the 012 & 017 Mr. Santa Cruz 914! biggrin.gif

Maybe you could cut-n-paste those readings you did last night at the other 017 CHT topic, over here so folks can find the info. in the future. Maybe also list your parts noted above (CHT, spacer, resistor & ??) here, along with links to your sources for each if they're readily available for future reference.

If this is the fix, then we'll need to implore Jeff Bowlsby to make new repro ones with the proper resistance, or maybe he can advise on how to alter Bosch 012's into 017's?? confused24.gif
scrz914
Okay, back from my drive. No more pumping the accel. pedal at stop lights. Yes! It also seems to have better throttle response and...better handleing? Okay, maybe that's just an illusion. Once warmed up, the idle settled in around 900. I did have a little hunting from time to time though. I'm going to try to find a new PCV and see if that helps with the inconsistancy.

Tom, the spacer is from Brad Mayuer (914ltd) and you can just pm him for a purchase. I'm not the first one to buy from him here. Also pbanders has a good write up on it.
The resistor is just a 270 ohm .5 watt from Radio Shack with crimp on connectors and some shrink tubing ( love that stuff ).
The 012 CHTs seem to be readily available now, Pelian, etc. The 017s? I'll keep searching for a source for new ones.

The ohm readings I got on the different CHTs were much like what pbanders has recorded on his website. 1.5k ohms for the 017 and 2.0k for the 012. I also took a reading with the resistor connected to the 017 and it was still much lower reading than the 012.

BTW, Brad M. said a spacer would give some improvement to the 012.

I can see why the '74 set up is preferable. More availability of parts.
Tom_T
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 14 2010, 07:09 PM) *

I can see why the '74 set up is preferable. More availability of parts.

Thanx for the update & info - I'm a ways off to doing mine, as I've got tons of body work to do first! dry.gif

idea.gif Seems to me that the idle wandering on mine back in the day was usually an ECU adjustment or AAR issue, but my half-zymers isn't letting me recall which! dry.gif

BTW - the advantage of the 73 2.0's is that they all came fully loaded (or almost all - some could option delete later in 73 MY when the prices went up so high), which included both the Appearance Group (chrome bumpers, fog lights, center console/gauges, leather steering wheel & shifter boot, flip-up center cushion/pad & storage box, loop pile carpet, rollbar & sail black vinyl with chrome trim) & the Performance Group (set of 5 Fuchs 2 Liter Alloys, F&R Sway Bars) options, within the base price. smile.gif

Whereas the 74 2Ls are a grab bag on which options you got on those, because they all became extra cost options in 74-76 MYs! dry.gif

So IMHO we're far better off being 73 2.0 owners - even if we have to hunt for some of the parts unique to our 73 2 Liters! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.