Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Caliper rebuild, how to? advice? paintng ect..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
74 2.0

I can't seem to find a how to.. Re: Front Caliper Rebuild, I have found a few on the rear but nothing on the fronts. I have the kits just wanted to do that project tomorrow.. Any advice on painting them as well or otherwise a link ect.. Thanks 914 world members..
DanT
I painted mine with self leveling brush on caliper paint....worked pretty nice.
Stuff is pretty thin so it took at least 6 coats to get good thick coverage.
but it dries very quickly so I was able to paint all four mounted on the car in about an hour. biggrin.gif
underthetire
Fronts are pretty straight forward. Hope you bought the complete kits with the o-rings for the two halves.
Tom_T
Joe, you may have already seen this one, but IIRC it's similar for the fronts, but without the integrated parking/emergency brake mechanism of the rears.
http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/1624951.htm

Eric can answer your questions but he's up at WCR in Tahoe & apparently did a how to demo on rebuilding them this afternoon.

BTW - his restorations in here are re-cad plated gold or silver at customer's choice (OE was gold cad), which is more rust resistant than the paint which the lesser commercial rebuilds do & rust within 6-12 months from what I've heard. So you may want to have yours re-plated locally, rather than painting them.

After comparing the cost of kits + replating + my time, I decided just to have Eric at PMB restore mine when I'm ready (remember his prices on the website there are less the core h=charge, so net about $100+/- each corner.

Are you back in Orange now?
detoxcowboy
Yes I am back in So. Cal., but am Going back to Montana soon as I finish the 914 ..

Thanks undertire, that is what I thought/suspected..

Eric does excellent work but then I would not know how too do it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 15 2010, 06:27 AM) *

Yes I am back in So. Cal., but am Going back to Montana soon as I finish the 914 .

I admire your style Joe - work around time for the 914! biggrin.gif
.... I just wish I do semi-retire to work on mine "full time"!! dry.gif

Are you doing your 73 2L we'd talked on the phone about, or a new 74 2L - I corn-fused!!?? blink.gif confused24.gif

Let me know if you still need the hole spacing for the 914 & 2.0 badges, as I'm around & can send a cell pic. Call me if so - 714-469-6769.

Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.