Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank needs work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
So the gas tank I treated with the Eastwood gas tank restoration kit a couple years back is crap. The coating is starting to come off. There are several areas I can see that are bubbling.

I have asecond tank that has never been treated. It has surface rust inside.

I think I may bring one to a radiator shop to have it boiled. I'm thinking that the coating (or at least most of it) on the treated tank will remain after boiling and will forever be an issue.

Will a radiator shop boiling take care of the rust on the second tank?
tod914
Will definetly clean the tank out. But soon as they remove the water it will flash rust. When you get it back home, you can treat it with the POR metal ready & flush with cold water. Will keep it from flash rusting again. Stick a hair dryer in it so any remaining water will evaporate quick. Bill Hirsch kit is another option after you boil it. Forms a red rubbery bladder and will not chip.
Cevan
I think I'm done with the kits. The Eastwood kit was similar in that it formed a rubbery coating. Now it's the only thing between me and driving my new 2056. mad.gif
tod914
Some where in these gas tank threads, some of the members here mentioned a place that restores the tanks completely. Might be the way to go if you don't want to take a chance on a kit not working right. Imagine the turn around would be fairly quick. Good luck, maybe one of them will chime in.
r_towle
I cleaned it and used it raw...no treatment at all inside.
So long as your continue to keep gas in the tank, it wont rust.

Mine has been perfectly clean for 11 years now.

Rich
EdwardBlume
McMark suggested Caswell Plating... he's doing it for me now...

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Paid and shipped no problem...
Tom_T
IIRC that AA also restores fuel tanks, but may be pricey & they want a core from you, but closer to you in assachustts.
Gint
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 15 2010, 03:17 PM) *
So the gas tank I treated with the Eastwood gas tank restoration kit a couple years back is crap. The coating is starting to come off. There are several areas I can see that are bubbling.

I think I may bring one to a radiator shop to have it boiled. I'm thinking that the coating (or at least most of it) on the treated tank will remain after boiling and will forever be an issue.

Yes it will.
That's exactly why I won't use that stuff. This isn't the first time I've heard that. Have the tank boiled a rad shop and drive it once in a while to maintain fresh fuel.
Cevan
QUOTE(Gint @ May 16 2010, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 15 2010, 03:17 PM) *

Yes it will.
That's exactly why I won't use that stuff. This isn't the first time I've heard that. Have the tank boiled a rad shop and drive it once in a while to maintain fresh fuel.

Oh I plan on driving as much as possible. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.