Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front turn signal buckets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
i Recently acquired a pair of factory-new front turn signal buckets from Camp914. No doubt about it, they are sweet, but I expected something more brilliat than my 38 year old originals - no fault to Camp914. Just didn't realize that my originals were that preserved!

Regardless, my question is this - how was the "chrome" finish applied to the inside? It's obvious to me that it was some sort of spray compound (see the pic with the pronounced overspray).

In 1978, I removed my original buckets for an impending respray of the body. At that time, as and old fart recalls, the exterior finish of the buckets looked like it needed refurbishing, so I sprayed them with light gray & clearcoated them (that also shows in the pics).

I swear - it looks like the "chrome" finish was a spray-on. What did they use? Where can I get some?

Look at the pics. The grubby exterior is original. The painted finish is my effort.

Pat
70_914
Plated just like plastic car model pieces.

Taken from the Mueller Corporation web site:

"Many People think it is impossible to chrome plastic, it is not. While it is possible to electroplate/chrome plate on plastic it is a difficult and expensive process. Vacuum metalizing is the most common process used for a chrome look on plastic. Vacuum metallizing is process used to make, toys, flash light reflectors and automotive trim, shine like chrome.

Vacuum metalizing DOES NOT have the same durability or corrosive resistance that chrome plating does.

Before parts are metalized they are washed and basecoated to ensure a smooth finish to coat over.

During the vacuum metallizing process aluminum is evaporated in a vacuum chamber, which than condenses back on and bonds to the parts to form a uniform layer, which shines like chrome.

After the metalizing takes place there is a protective topcoat applied similar to the ones used in the automotive industry. You can also add dyes to the topcoat to achieve bright chrome colors gold’s, bronze’s, copper’s, and gunmetal’s.

Chrome vacuum metalizing should not be cleaned with abrasive materials; you should only clean it with a damp soft rag. The chemicals in household cleaners can affect the clear coat causing it to become hazy or milky.

Vacuum metallizing conforms to the base material that is being coated. If there is texture, scratches, blister, etc it will show through the coating.

It is much more environmentally friendly and cost effective than chrome plating or chrome painting.

You can vacuum metalize many materials including plastic, metal, glass, fiberglass, and more. There are many different applications for Vacuum metallizing including; automotive and motor sport accessories, automotive interior trim, sporting goods, toys, models, novelty items, display items, decorative fixtures, cosmetic closures, etc.

If you want the look of custom chrome on anything plastic, glass, metal, etc. Mueller Corporation can do the job. Please Read Terms for Custom Jobs."

And a list of plastic platers:

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/plating-...61682001-1.html

Gotta love Google!
Pat Garvey
Interesting for contemporary time, but what did they do in 1970?
Pat
70_914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 15 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Pat

Plastic hasn't changed....
Tom_T
QUOTE(70_914 @ May 15 2010, 09:02 PM) *

Pat

... except that IIRC - the buckets were pot metal not plastic & the chrome surface is direct to that, but then I'm an old fart too!!??

Pat, I can't say what they did in the day, but I've read several posts on here etc. that folks are using the Chrome Spray Paint (the super shiney one) available at Home Depot, Lowes, home improvement centers & local FLAPS to refinish both the plastic & metal type reflectors successfully. Just make sure it's the formula for whichever material you're painting.

If you search here, there are pix of their resto work posted, but may be awhile back.

Plz post pix of your results too meistro! biggrin.gif
70_914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 15 2010, 10:56 PM) *

Pat

... except that IIRC - the buckets were pot metal not plastic & the chrome surface is direct to that, but then I'm an old fart too!!??

Pat, I can't say what they did in the day, but I've read several posts on here etc. that folks are using the Chrome Spray Paint (the super shiney one) available at Home Depot, Lowes, home improvement centers & local FLAPS to refinish both the plastic & metal type reflectors successfully. Just make sure it's the formula for whichever material you're painting.

If you search here, there are pix of their resto work posted, but may be awhile back.

The one I had been messing with on my car I thought was plastic....

Sorry.

Chrome paint goes best over a really smooth black paint surface.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 15 2010, 11:56 PM) *

Pat

Tom,
You are correct - the buckets are pot metal. The chrome finish was directly SPRAYED to the parts, hence the overspray on the sides. These are factory new buckets.

I have a new set of chrome metal vacuum metalized foglight grills. They are super sweet, but dainty.

Nope - two totally different processes. Somehow, back in the early 70's, someone had a spray process for placing a chrome-like finish onto metal parts (suspect it was the same process used then on foglight grille, though most of them are plastic based).

History here boys & girls - who knows the answer?

Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 16 2010, 06:03 PM) *

Pat

Tom,
You are correct - the buckets are pot metal. The chrome finish was directly SPRAYED to the parts, hence the overspray on the sides. These are factory new buckets.

I have a new set of chrome metal vacuum metalized foglight grills. They are super sweet, but dainty.

Nope - two totally different processes. Somehow, back in the early 70's, someone had a spray process for placing a chrome-like finish onto metal parts (suspect it was the same process used then on foglight grille, though most of them are plastic based).

The plasti-chrome process is/was as 70-914 put it back in the day - e.g.: for the horn or foglight grills when they changed to plastic. It's the same vacuum process that they used on those plastic models we used to build as kids in the 60's.

The chrome on steel was the 3 step - copper, nickel, chrome electroplating tank process, even on fully plated pot metal, except the SS & aluminum bits were polished & alum. was anodized.

I've also seen recently a new pro chrome spray process being advertised in Hemmings, sports & Exotics, Classic Cars, etc. which they say works on either metals or plastics, but can't speak to the longevity, nor whether it was used back then.

However, since the TS buckets were not fully plated, they used a chrome spray paint from what I can tell on mine, which was similar to what we also used on model cars & planes back then.

You can find the same stuff in today's formulations in the Rustoleum section where you get the red primer from the gas tank topic.

I've used it to resto both metal & plastic parts on our 88 Westy & 85 BMW 325e, & plan to use it on the TS& taillight buckets' reflectors on my 914!

So that should give you the history & the current day fix! biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 17 2010, 01:45 AM) *

Pat

Tom,

The plasti-chrome process is/was as 70-914 put it back in the day - e.g.: for the horn or foglight grills when they changed to plastic. It's the same vacuum process that they used on those plastic models we used to build as kids in the 60's.

The chrome on steel was the 3 step - copper, nickel, chrome electroplating tank process, even on fully plated pot metal, except the SS & aluminum bits were polished & alum. was anodized.

I've also seen recently a new pro chrome spray process being advertised in Hemmings, sports & Exotics, Classic Cars, etc. which they say works on either metals or plastics, but can't speak to the longevity, nor whether it was used back then.

However, since the TS buckets were not fully plated, they used a chrome spray paint from what I can tell on mine, which was similar to what we also used on model cars & planes back then.

You can find the same stuff in today's formulations in the Rustoleum section where you get the red primer from the gas tank topic.

I've used it to resto both metal & plastic parts on our 88 Westy & 85 BMW 325e, & plan to use it on the TS& taillight buckets' reflectors on my 914!

So that should give you the history & the current day fix! biggrin.gif

I wasn't aware that this compound was available! I'll try some on some old parts & see what happens. Dubious, though.
Pat
Tom_T
Post a pic of your trial run here too Pat, for future reference.

I can't recall if it's a Rusto product or another. I've seen several at the home improvement stores & FLAPS, sometimes one for both metal & plastic, other times different cans, but mainly has to do with adhesion I would thinks.

As you've said numerous times - it's a lot to do with proper prep!

Did you ever get a good fix on your paint chip repair - when you were posting for paint chip repair solutions a few months back, or is that still pending? confused24.gif

Another thing to post before, during & after follow-up pix about there too, if/when done.
SirAndy

used then on foglight grille, though most of them are plastic based

I've only seen (and touched) one (factory) metal foglight grille.

They are über rare ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.