Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtn flyr
Time for a new battery, is Optima still the way to go? I've heard they have had some quality control issues lately, what do you guys think?
balljoint
I would just buy a good quality battery from my FLAPS for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of an Optima and if I needed, allocate the difference to another part of my 914. Or rather allocate those funds for another part for my 914.
eg914
I bought a battery for a Miata a few years ago. It is small, light, and sealed. Works great! Cheaper than an Optima. Bought the battery at the local FLAPS
Tom_T
The reason everyone pays the extra bucks for the Optimas, etc. is to keep the hydrochloric acid fumes from the standard lead-acid battery, which then re-hydrolizes in the hell hole & battery tray, & causes - well you know if you have a 914! dry.gif

Optima has now cut their warranty period in less than half, but I don't know if there are any mfg. problems.

Here's another option mentioned here for a dry cell battery -
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/O...s/?autoview=SKU

If you must save money, then get a sealed lead acid - Interstates are usually very good - then get a full battery cover as in the HO Recall (check with PCNA, as they'll do that HO recall & change your fuel lines & give you the cover, if it was never done on the car - even today), & also get a good battery pad & change it every year, keep the contacts cleaned, keep it charged & inspect it & the area often.
eg914
The batteries available for the Miatas are AGM type, no fumes to the engine bay. They can be found for under $100 on line. They are smaller than the stock battery
rfuerst911sc
I'm still a fan of the Optima. I've had one in my 911 for over 5 years now and drop dead reliable. I had a yellow top in my 914 that only lasted 14 months. When I returned it to the FLAPS for replacement I found out how crappy the warranty is dry.gif . But I did get another one as I just think I got a bad one which can happen with any battery. I use the smaller yellow top that fits Hondas + Toyotas. It's aprox. 550 CCA and is plenty strong to turn over my 3.0.
rfuerst911sc
Quick update the Optimas are now total crap ! Mine just died again only getting about 2 years out of them. Probably going to go Odyssey.
ConeDodger
Now on my 3rd Optima in the 240Z. Each died in short order and within the warranty. I would have gone with something else if it hadn't been for the warranty. Optima must be kept on a maintainer if not regularly used.
bandjoey
$79 Walmart sealed normal battery with 4 yr warranty. 3rd year now and no leaks.
Tom. Are u serious??? Porsche will honor a service recall on a 914? What about multiple owner cars?
somd914
I'm on my third Optima in about 4 years - taking advantage of warranties, but if I had to pay for it I'd go the Miata route (own 2 miatas with no problems on the AGM style after many years) or go with an Odyssey.

I'm also using a battery tender now. Even though I drive the 914 frequently year round, I figure it can't hurt and will see if this helps.
KENNY
QUOTE(mtn flyr @ May 15 2010, 06:02 PM) *

Time for a new battery, is Optima still the way to go? I've heard they have had some quality control issues lately, what do you guys think?

Try odyssey battery.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 3 2012, 08:51 AM) *

$79 Walmart sealed normal battery with 4 yr warranty. 3rd year now and no leaks.
Tom. Are u serious??? Porsche will honor a service recall on a 914? What about multiple owner cars?

Yes Bill, absolutely - I'm 2nd owner (since 12/75) & PCNA has me set-up for the HO fuel line & battery cover recall. NHTSA recalls are mandatory to all auto mfgrs for any car under any owner, so long as it wasn't done before.

I wasn't eligible for the early 73 MY non-hubcentric alloy wheel recall (BH IIRC) because the PO or dealer had replaced the Fuchs 2L alloys with 4 Rivieras & steel spare before I bought it, so the PCNA rep had nothing to check & verify if the Fuchs had the non-hubcentric or correct wheels.

So I can't do that one, but can do the fuel line one (in engine bay only).

PS Bill & others, call the PCNA 800 #, hit the # for Customer Care/Service & ask them to check by your VIN as to which NHTSA Recalls were done on your car, & they'll schedule you for any not ever done, but may have a rep check your car in person for any HO sticker, etc. as evidence of recalls being done (Reg. Svc. Mgr. Rick Perkins came to my home, since mine was/is inoperable at this point).
Rand
I'm totally happy with my Odyssey. I have the little brother. Sealed and small.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm
Robert21
I just got a new batterey , look at date , i got it 9 years ago. Not bac for $120.00
Went with new one cost $200.00 but if i get half of the 9 years i got from the last one> Great . Red top Optimas
ellisor3
I was at a battery store last week for a replacement watch battery, but the guy was so helpful, that I asked him about Optima batteries since I saw they sold them. I asked him about their reliability and life. He said Optimas have gotten a somewhat bad reputation because they are not trickle charged properly. He told me that if you do not drive the car at least weekly, you need to trickle charge them with a AGM charger. Not Battery Tender. He said inactivity kills these batteries because they store power differently. They store more power than others, but if they sit idle, it shortens the life substantially. Here is an article that discusses this. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general...ry/viewall.html
partwerks
Got mine at Wally World.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Nov 4 2012, 02:28 PM) *

He told me that if you do not drive the car at least weekly, you need to trickle charge them with a AGM charger. Not Battery Tender. He said inactivity kills these batteries because they store power differently. They store more power than others, but if they sit idle, it shortens the life substantially. Here is an article that discusses this. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general...ry/viewall.html

The linked article seems to contradict what the watch battery guy said:

"Of course, you can avoid all these headaches with deep discharge and parasitic loads in the first place simply by using a float charger. Also known as battery tenders, these units deliver a small (500 to 800 milliamperes) but constant charge to the battery, keeping it fresh and fully charged. Just connect the float charger to a wall socket and to your battery when your car is not in use and you're good to go."
somd914
I've read numerous threads about needing AGM chargers, trickle chargers, never rapid charge them, etc.

Per Optima's website for charging Redtops:

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
•13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:
•13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for 6-12 hours.

Rapid Recharge:
•Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float Charge:
•13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
Drums66
......I must 2nd the interstate? idea.gif
They've been good to me!
bye1.gif (also, believe it or not....AUTO ZONE?batt/red
Tom_T
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 5 2012, 02:58 PM) *

......I must 2nd the interstate? idea.gif
They've been good to me!
bye1.gif (also, believe it or not....AUTO ZONE?batt/red

I too have had great luck with Interstate batteries long outliving the warranty - 9+ years in the case of our 88 Westy finally replaced last year.

..... However...... Interstate & Optima were bought by the same company about 2-3 years ago IIRC & all manufacturing moved to China shortly afterwords.

So now both brands are experiencing QC problems & the new owners reacted by reducing the warranties on both brands to about 24-48 months - from a prior 48-75 month range.

That should tell you something! dry.gif

FYI all - Interstate are sealed lead-acid batteries - not AGM nor dry cell, as are the Optima & Odessy respectively.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.