Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spyder side graphics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Has anyone measured the new side stripes on the Boxster Spyder vs the 914 stripes?
The new ones look like the Porsche font is smaller but is probably long enough to fit.

How do you think they'd look on yhe 914?
idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty

"How do you think they'd look on yhe 914?"

Tacky, just like any other side stripe .....................

The Cap'n
azbill
Remember opinions are like assholes everyone has one! If you like it do it.
Tom
Yep, if the car is yours, do what you think looks good. I do, with the stipulation that I try to do things that are easily undone when I sell the car. Aren't these easily removed? Show us a pic when you get it done.
Gotta give the Cap'n a break. He has seen a lot of owners "mess" up these cars for a lot of years, and then come to him for help! Besides, he's the Cap'n. Salute to you Cap'n. If you all had seen the things he has, you might be "krusty" also. smile.gif
Tom
bandjoey
OK happy11.gif then how 'bout puttin them on the rockers ?
Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 16 2010, 03:03 PM) *

OK happy11.gif then how 'bout puttin them on the rockers ?

While I understand some folks' reservations & preferences on "no stripes" by the kap'n & others ... shades.gif

In fact, back in the day they were an available Porsche "sanctioned" option from the dealers, as shown in numerous Porsche+Audi's ads from the period below. They certainly weren't shy at Porsche about using them prominently in their ads! biggrin.gif

However, if you're going to do them, better IMHO to do as done "back in the day" most often on the lower doors/fenders (in these pix) - although some had them put on the rockers instead (since it was buyer/owner request item).

While the vinyl stripes are supposed to come off easily, I can tell you from experience that it isn't always quite so easy! dry.gif

BTW, Rico Suave, AA & several other sources to make/sell the repro 914 side stripes out of fresh vinyl (as opposed to dry NOS) to apply on our 914s without worrying if the Boxster/Spyder ones will fit.

I got a pair of Rico's to maybe put on mine when done with the resto, but I not sure if I ultimately will ~ black positive stripes on L80E Light Ivory after resto or plain - I dunno!?.

BTW - the positive lettering stripes go on 70-73 914s, then negative letters on 74-76, so I gave examples of both below FYI.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hope these help!
popcorn[1].gif

thomasotten
Well, we each have an opinion. That is all.

If you are having trouble deciding, mock it up using photoshop or GIMP.

Here is a good general rule to go by when you are unsure about something:

If you have good taste, then do what you want to do. Your mind is formed well and it will guide you.

If you have bad taste, then stay stock completely. The factory has better taste than you do.

When in doubt, stay factory.

I painted mine on.

In my opinion, I do not like they way they look on the rockers.
EdwardBlume
That last picture is how I envision 914 ownership.. just off the tennis court, casual flirty conversation... now where is that tropical cocktail with the docorative umbrella thing? happy11.gif
Ferg
Looking at the spyder one's they don't wrap around the edges, so each panel (front fender, door, rear quarter) is precut. I think you could make the rear quarter and door work length wise and wrap them around on a 914, but that front fender is way to short, you would have to do a custom match for that.

Ferg
detoxcowboy
How many times can you write Porsche on your car? drunk.gif

2-rocker panels (raised plastic)
2-door thresholds (laser etched)
1-front windshield sun tint stip..
1-rear emblem
1-engine lid lettering
2-floor mats
2-seat covers

other crap.. confused24.gif
7-porsche badges,front ,rear and all wheels and steering wheel,key chain option
1 of each hat,t-shity,keychain,backpack,sunglasses

Go for it!! Chix's dig it!! piratenanner.gif

Still has a VW heart..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.