Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House was robbed durring WCR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So I came back from WCR to find my house robbed. They didnt do any damage, and there was no forced entry. Background is the neighborhood is a good, however its near a high school. I moved in in Feb and have been doing work on the house for the past few months.

Anyways, My mother came over to put something in my fridge (she ran out of room) last night at 3pm, then my dad came over @ 10 this morning to find out that my brand new 47" tv was gone, my loaded PS3, my games, movies, 60+ps2 game collection and my $2k desktop, as well as my Lincoln 135 welder.

Mom double checked ALL the locks, and ALL the windows and made sure everything was secure before she left last night. Like I said earlier there was no forced entry, either someone picked the locks or the previous owners had the key and got in.

I have already filed a police report, I plan on getting a shotgun, we have double bolted the main locks and I am changing the locks like I should have done months ago. I am considering gettin an alarm system but budget wise its not in the cards, but I might have to. I have changed all my online passwords, I will be changing my bank account incase they grabbed some of my checks.

Kinda bummed... All in all its a good 4k in stuff... and years worth of stuff from my computer.. I had 600gigs of media/movies..
Oh and I blew the turbo sometime in the WCR, I think it starved on oil from the oil like that i didnt replace...

Horrible end to a great weekend..
Dr Evil
sad.gif Suck ass
ConeDodger
Yuck... Sorry to hear this Andy!
montoya 73 2.0
Did the police finger print the door knobs? Since there was no forced entry they had to have had the key or atleast used the the knob to get in.
Andyrew
They looked, however i converted everything to levers( vs knobs which made it impossible to fingerprint), and have dark wood floors throughout, they didnt even leave a footprint..

These theifs knew what they were doing unfortunately.
Mike Bellis
Very sad. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope they catch them!
montoya 73 2.0
Hopefully a neighbor may have seen something. A car parked in your driveway or several people (that 47" TV couldn't be carried out alone or to far)? Still sorry to hear it!

The good thing is your mom and dad didn't walk in when they were there!
oldschool
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 16 2010, 09:21 PM) *

So I came back from WCR to find my house robbed. They didnt do any damage, and there was no forced entry. Background is the neighborhood is a good, however its near a high school. I moved in in Feb and have been doing work on the house for the past few months.

Anyways, My mother came over to put something in my fridge (she ran out of room) last night at 3pm, then my dad came over @ 10 this morning to find out that my brand new 47" tv was gone, my loaded PS3, my games, movies, 60+ps2 game collection and my $2k desktop, as well as my Lincoln 135 welder.

Mom double checked ALL the locks, and ALL the windows and made sure everything was secure before she left last night. Like I said earlier there was no forced entry, either someone picked the locks or the previous owners had the key and got in.

I have already filed a police report, I plan on getting a shotgun, we have double bolted the main locks and I am changing the locks like I should have done months ago. I am considering gettin an alarm system but budget wise its not in the cards, but I might have to. I have changed all my online passwords, I will be changing my bank account incase they grabbed some of my checks.

Kinda bummed... All in all its a good 4k in stuff... and years worth of stuff from my computer.. I had 600gigs of media/movies..
Oh and I blew the turbo sometime in the WCR, I think it starved on oil from the oil like that i didnt replace...

Horrible end to a great weekend..

Dude that suck, You can buy a camera set-up at Costco for around $800 I think ,and record and view while your away from home. let me know if you need any more information,My friend installs them.
jeeperjohn56
Andrew, Sorry to hear the bad news, I would have the police check the old owners and maybe your niebors. Get yourself a big dog. Keep on trucken. John
IronHillRestorations
Time for a security system? Gives my wife and kids peace of mind when I'm gone overnight.
carr914
According to a study, 95% of thieves will pass on a house that has a Security System sign in front of the house - so I just got the sign !

Sorry Andy, that sucks, it sounds like an inside job - former owner or sh!thead neighbor that saw you leave and not around for a few days.

I hope you catch the D-Bag ar15.gif
JRust
That blows man sorry! Hope something turns up on them & they get what they deserve ar15.gif
URY914
Sorry.
D1A3
I've got the signs and the service, but if somebody wants in, they are going to get in.

When I leave the house for a day or more, I just staple one of these to a tree outside. I think it gets the point across a bit more than a "Secured by ADT" sign...

Click to view attachment

ar15.gif
Root_Werks
sad.gif

We try to develope good relations with our neighbors. Talk to them and any of the kids. Someone might have seen something. They had to have come in some sort of truck or van to move out all that stuff you would think?
Lennies914
What a bummer!!! I hope the low life scum gets caught mad.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I'm and ex alarm industry worker. Stats say if you have one break in, you stand a 90% chance of having a second. If you have a second, you stand a 100% chance of a 3rd. Over half of all residential burglaries are committed by individuals under 18 and they live within a quarter mile from you. They knew you were gone for the weekend, and you probably know them at least have seen them in the neighborhood. A shotgun will only help you if you are home at the time. If so, fire away according to the laws of your state. If your not home when they come your gonna lose the shotgun too!
corsepervita
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 17 2010, 07:45 AM) *

sad.gif

We try to develope good relations with our neighbors. Talk to them and any of the kids. Someone might have seen something. They had to have come in some sort of truck or van to move out all that stuff you would think?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 17 2010, 08:12 AM) *

I'm and ex alarm industry worker. Stats say if you have one break in, you stand a 90% chance of having a second. If you have a second, you stand a 100% chance of a 3rd. Over half of all residential burglaries are committed by individuals under 18 and they live within a quarter mile from you. They knew you were gone for the weekend, and you probably know them at least have seen them in the neighborhood. A shotgun will only help you if you are home at the time. If so, fire away according to the laws of your state. If your not home when they come your gonna lose the shotgun too!

I was just going to add on that very thing. Don't rule out the fact that this happened while you are gone, it stands the potential that you know them and that they knew you were gone.

Take note of anyone who has been nearby, asked questions, anyone you've told about your trip before you left, etc etc...

Interesting statistics though, did not know that.

Sorry to hear about the break in. Hopefully they find the thieves.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Unless you are in an area of easy access, most burglars are very familiar with your house, neighborhood and habits.

Get the house wired. Get cozy with the neighbors. Stay pissed, keep trying to get your stuff back, and with any luck you can at least get the welder back...

Brent
That freaken sucks Andy. I know the feeling and the reason you want the shotgun is now "you" feel vulnerable and violated. Its got to be a neighbor who may have seen you loading bags for the trip. Have the Police to see if any convicted felons in the area. With me, they (SJPD) told me to keep an eye out on Craigs list. That was doable for a few days, but over time, I stopped looking.

My sons bat and helmet were stolen, along with golf clubs, etc... He just hit his first HR with the bat a week earlier. I bought him a better composite bat, and just this past weekend, got his first HR this season with it, but he was always saying his older bat was better. Also his helmet was no longer manufactured and not available to replace...anywhere, I've been looking for a year now. I replaced most items, but still always feel violated.

Maybe some newb to welding will go to a supply shop and ask them how to use their new welder some "buddy" gave them?
ericread
This is one of the great downfalls of social networking. There is a site out there (pleaserobme.com) that monitors BBSs and solical networking sites and posts addresses of persons that are going to be traveling out of town.

If you use a social networking site to announce your travel, your chances of being burgled are much increased.

BTW: You got "burgled", as robery is against a person and burglary is against an unattended house, car, office etc.

Eric
PRS914-6
Bummer....I'm sorry to hear that.

I sent this to my friends several weeks ago. Perhaps it will help others here.....

THIRTEEN THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it..

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system . If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at http://www.faketv.com/)

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: Dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again.. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave home without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Don't announce your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Sources:

Convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California, and Kentucky ; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs http://www.crimedoctor.com// and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job

...and instead of a gun or a baseball bat, here's a better and safer way(for you) to wreck someone's evil plans:

WASP SPRAY!

wasp spray can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate than pepper spray! With pepper spray, you have to get too close to them and they could overpower you. Wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. Keeps a can near your bed and near any doors! Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

FROM ANOTHER SOURCE

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "It's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save your life.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car.

The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.
tomeric914
QUOTE(ericread @ May 17 2010, 12:36 PM) *

If you use a social networking site to announce your travel, your chances of being burgled are much increased.

...or if your kid(s) announce to their friends when their family plans to travel via Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Recently, my oldest was printing letters to send to new "PenPals" in Africa, Russia and Spain giving out our home address, phone number, each of our first names and ages. slap.gif That was a shock to me and learning experience for all.

My point is, make sure you educate your kids not to give away personal family information as well.
carr914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 17 2010, 01:57 PM) *

...and instead of a gun or a baseball bat, here's a better and safer way(for you) to wreck someone's evil plans:

WASP SPRAY!

wasp spray can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate than pepper spray! With pepper spray, you have to get too close to them and they could overpower you. Wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. Keeps a can near your bed and near any doors! Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

Good advice, except if you don't have your glasses on, grab the can, press the button.....and find the nozzle is aimed right for your face. Don't ask me how I know this. 051103-stupid4.gif
corsepervita
Some VERY good tips in here. Love the wasp spray idea but I prefer a shotgun. Either way, small and portable, a great tip.
rhodyguy
all good tips. here's something else to check.

i used to work for a co that sold and installed gas fireplaces, garage doors and openers. the door remote and reciever come with a series of preset numbers or letters. say 0000 or AAAA, whatever. you'd be surprised at the number of doors in a development that will open simply by driving around activating a remote with the factory setting. with one prime sub contractor, everyone has the same product and a remote will open every door that has not had the code personally set by the home owner.
Andyrew
Thanks for all the replies guys, Every bit of information helps to prevent the next one. I'll pick up some wasp spray till the shotgun gets here, I'll leave the TV on (When I get a replacement), and the girlfriend already knows she shouldnt have sent the "cant wait for tahoe this weekend!" post on facebook..

naro914
Sucks....

Unfortunately, I can relate....

Back a few years ago, we were at the F1 race in Montreal, and my neighbor called my cell phone. I had fogotten to stop the newspaper, so a couple were piled in my driveway. She grabbed them and came up to the garage door to drop them off, only to see the Electric Meter had been pulled off the wall!! And all the phone and cable wires were cut.

She went around the house, and our back door was open. She called the police, then called me....but unfortunately, I was in Montreal and could do nothing about it.

Luckily, the alarm had a battery back up, so once they pryed open the door, it still went off. Didn't call the police, but probably scared them enough they only took my wifes laptop that was sitting on the coffee table.

We live in a very nice neighborhood, but we're close to the entrance. Each of the 4 houses at the end of our street (us included) have been broken into. We now all have our little neighborhood watch keeping tabs on each other.

advice I got from my buddy who is a cop (and PCA member):

-Alarm is good, but good criminals know it can take up to 45 minutes for Police to respond to a domestic break-in.
-Make sure the alarm has LOUD SIREN. Silence alarms are useless (see first item)
- Have random timers for the lights in your house to turn them on and off.
- If possible, have the alarm turn on a strobe light inside AND outside the house. Blue is even better (simulates a cops light)
- Motion lights outside are advisable. They can't cut your power if they keep getting light up in the face. Have then at or near the back entrance of your house if possible.
- Obviously, hold or have a neighbor get your mail and paper
- DON'T announce to the world you are leaving
- If possible, leave a car in the driveway, and if gone for a while, ask a neighbor to move it once or twice.
- Forget the shotgun - get a pistol. OK, have both but if you have the shotgun just sitting next to your bed, it will be gone if they come in while you're not home (most likely) Pistol is easier to keep hidden.

GTeener
stromberg.gif Who knows how to get into your place? Anyone other than your parents have a key? or know where "a hidden key" is?

Do you have renters insurance?

Have you talked to your neighbors? Big TV like that takes more than 1 person and isn't very low profile to move.

mad.gif I hate disrespectful, thieving people! Jackasses!
I feel better now. How about you? smile.gif
Justinp71

Sorry to hear about that...
orange914
sorry to hear that andrew, that stinks

think twice on the shot gun here in california though. i'd highly recommend a CCW permit class if you do decide, (good one in turlock). it'll arm you with the legal knowlege you need to know, so YOU don't become the victim. that AND a good safe.

let me know if i can help out with anything

mike
Andyrew
QUOTE(GTeener @ May 17 2010, 03:17 PM) *

stromberg.gif Who knows how to get into your place? Anyone other than your parents have a key? or know where "a hidden key" is?

Do you have renters insurance?

Have you talked to your neighbors? Big TV like that takes more than 1 person and isn't very low profile to move.

mad.gif I hate disrespectful, thieving people! Jackasses!
I feel better now. How about you? smile.gif

Only people with the key was my parents..

I DO have homeowners insurance so it'll hopefully be covered. I've tried talking with some of my neighbors but they werent home, im going to try again tomorrow.

Im taking pictures of every car that stops by my house.
jeff
Watch craigslist and check out local pawn shops for your items,security cams are getting cheaper these days so that may help also,it's too bad we have to lock down and watch our things day and night! I agree it would be nice to blast a thief but they would make you into the bad guy a feel sorry for the criminal.
kart54
I don't see anybody mentioning it but they should. Don't post on this site when your going to a particular show. (WCR, Ventura etc.).
Thieves can monitor this site as easily as any other and alot of your personal information is already in your avatar. (such as the city you live in). If your in a small town how many 914's are there running around? Not many would be my guess.

Kart54
Zundfolge
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 16 2010, 09:21 PM) *
... then my dad came over @ 10 this morning to find out that my brand new 47" tv was gone, my loaded PS3, my games, movies, 60+ps2 game collection and my $2k desktop, as well as my Lincoln 135 welder.

Any important personal information on that computer?

Are you sure they didn't take any paperwork?

Cancel all your credit cards ... change all the passwords on bank accounts and such and keep an eye on your credit (maybe sign up for a credit monitoring service).

They may be stealing from you again without setting foot on your property.
carr914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 17 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies guys, Every bit of information helps to prevent the next one. I'll pick up some wasp spray till the shotgun gets here, I'll leave the TV on (When I get a replacement), and the girlfriend already knows she shouldnt have sent the "cant wait for tahoe this weekend!" post on facebook..

Andy, After you get the shotgun ar15.gif , the blowtorch for lighting his balls on fire blowtorch.gif , the Wasp Spray for the eyes yikes.gif, etc - have your Girlie announce 1st, "that new Big Screen is awesome", followed a week later by " can't wait for Santa Barbara !". Then wait and go a little MedEvil on the FuchWads behead.gif
computers4kids
Andrew,
So sorry to hear...OK, it sucks. On a bright note, it sure was nice to finally connect with you on the way to the WCR.
elwood-914

I had 2 co-workers recently have their home broken into.
#1 There were 3 of them, about 11am, rang the doorbell, when no one answered they picked the lock on the front door. What they didn't know was the homeowners 16 year old daughter was asleep in her room. When she heard them ransacking the house, she hid under the covers. Eventually they came into her room and realized there was someone home. They told her not to look at them and they left. Cops caught all three, members of a local gang.

#2 They had their home broke into during working hours, stole junk, CD's, not too much of value. They did take his Great Pyrenees dog. This turns out was just the beginning. They were actually casing the house. 3 weeks later they came back. Took the new Dodge Diesel, used it to rip the safe from the garage floor. They took everything, Food, Microwave oven, fryers, Frozen turkeys, hams....you name it they cleaned house. Even tried to take the light fixtures. They had a key rack with all the keys to all the vehicles. The dog came back after the first time, shaved of its hair.....they took her again.
Like someone said, you get it once, chances are they will come back.
siverson
> Any important personal information on that computer?

Which is another reason why you should install TrueCrypt on all your PCs. (it's free)

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Tom
Andrew,
Sorry to hear this happened to you. Thieves hurt us all. A-holes!!
But, before you decide to use that gun, study the laws where you live so you know your responsibilities and what you can legally get away with. And then hope you never have to use it. It is one thing to talk about killing someone who unarguably needs to be shot, and quite another for the shooter to be you. After the fact you will be facing some very uncomfortable questions and feelings. Then you could be facing charges.
Case in point, a 72 year old man wakes to find someone in his home, arms himself, and chases the person out of his home and fires 4 times as the person flees. 72 year old calls police and waits for them. Police arrive and two hours later the shot person ( the 72 year old did hit him) was found after police searched the neighborhood. He was dead. 72 year old is in jail for first degree murder. He shot the person while the person was fleeing, therefore the person was not being a threat.
If you end up being charged, the lawyers will take a lot more from you than the thief ever could have!
Best of luck to you,
Tom
carr914
OK, Just use the BlowTorch on the Bastard. I heard Burglers Taste just like Chicken
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 18 2010, 12:18 PM) *

I heard Burglers Taste just like Chicken

To the Guard Dog you are going to get
Jaymann
Stuff probally did not go far,sounds like a neibor who still has a key,and a good view of your coming and goings.There had to be more then one person,to cart off all that.No one saw a truck??This had to take some time.If they picked the lock on the way in,I would be suprized if they locked it on the way out.Unless they had the key.
RJMII
Get the video system! Set it all up without telling anyone!

Tell everyone you're going on another trip. Go visit your local favorite electronics store, and ask them for some boxes. Get a 55" LG TV box, a Blu Ray player box, new PS3 and 360 box... you get the idea. Set them all out so it looks like your insurance already cashed out and you scored some replacements.

then take your trip. smile.gif

Some of the cameras out there are motion sensor activated and will send you a txt or a pix message letting you know of the movement. Some systems you can monitor online accross the internet.

If you're alerted, you can alert the proper individuals immediately and have them arrive to catch the crooks.
Katmanken
Sorry for the robbery, it leaves you with a nasty feeling.

A couple of things I learned:

1. It could be anybody. Our robber was a 17 year old kid who was due to inherit millions when he turned 18. He left home in Miami, was living in a beachfront room in a swanky hotel, and was paying for his lifestyle by robbing from people who weren't weathy like him. He called the people he robbed "little people". The DA and cops wanted to tap into his inheritance. Good old politics (and a bribe or two from his attorney) changed his sentence to "probation", and none of the victums got a dime.

2. Don't trust pawn shops. They will nod their heads, and smile at you and not tell you the stuff is in the counter. Guess where most of our stuff was found??? At a pawn shop run by a guy who lived 3 doors down. I did sketches of my wife's jewelry and a cop walked into the pawnshop, grabbed my neighbor and had him show everything. There was most of the stuff, and a photo of the 17 year old kid as required by law. The cops took the photo to the hotels, and BINGO, they found the kid. When they arrested this kid, it pretty much closed the books on daytime crime.

3. Sketch everything and haunt the resell places.

Good luck.

Ken
corsepervita
Few neat goodies for hiding your things...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/855d/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/b7c9/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/a619/

Also see if you can find a security specialist who can hook you up with data spray. The below is a website for data dots... but there is another one out there I cannot remember the name of that uses a spray with tiny little markers with your identifying information on them. They can then be scanned and will read back your information (useful for recovering stuff if you ever find it at a pawn shop, or the police need to identify someone)
http://www.datadotdna.com/index.asp

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.