Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT "look" - No backpad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Currently enjoying my 914-6 GT look (I recently purchased Michel Richards original 914-6 GT look) and I have tried searching this forum for backpad, interior carpet, etc and can not seem to find pictures of interior with no backpad and carpet installed in that area. I have seen a post here in the past with lots of great pictures of conversions to the carpet look. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am planning on installing two GTS seats and removing the backpad. I realize I will have to fab the mounts for the passenger seat).

Thanks,
MoveQik
Here is mine covered in perlon. I love the look compared to the backpad. biggrin.gif

MoveQik
Another...

I need to update my pics as I now have the GT style doors courtesy of Eric Shea's kit. It looks super clean.
xperu
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 17 2010, 11:01 AM) *

Another...

I need to update my pics as I now have the GT style doors courtesy of Eric Shea's kit. It looks super clean.

I like the look, did you glue it to the firewall or is there a backing. I also have been thinking about doing this, so this post is timely. Mike
MoveQik
Dynamat, on the firewall and then I just used spray adhesive to adhere the perlon to the dynamat.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The roll bar...
IPB Image
MoveQik
I had to cut a couple pieces of carpet for the bottom of the firewall and the area between the seats. Easy enough to do. Just cut the pieces and get a local shop to stitch the edging around it. I think they charged me about $20 bucks.
Scott S
mine...
carr914
Click to view attachment

the other thing I like to do is take the backpad apart, put velcro on the Centerpiece and slap it back in. This looks good and hides any access hole you might have put through the firewall.

Click to view attachment
david63
I appreciate you all taking time to reply to the post. I like the dynamat idea. I have an access hole to consider and am not sure if I want to go with the perlon or a black carpet? Can the different types of carpet be purchased in large pieces from some of the same vendors that sell the carpet kits so it could all be done at once. Wondering about how to do the access hole so it looks professional?
budman5201
Someone should make a back pad already stitched carpet kit so a bunch of us could just buy it and install it.
Scott S
That would be tough, as it would have to be a molded part. The amount of curves and reccesses on the firewall is surprising. I initially cut mine with what I thought was plenty of overhang that I would simply trim off after it was glued in. It ended up being way to small. I then added an extra 16"+ to both dimensions and was able to get it in - after graciously using both a spray bottle and a heat gun to strecth and mold the perlon to all of the ins and outs. It was way more work than I expected. My fingers were raw afterwards.
rfuerst911sc
How about stripping the OEM backpad of all the vinyl and then covering it with carpet or perlon ? The backer board is already molded to the firewall and I would think would be fairly easy to cover.
Mike Bellis
I did mine first with dynamat, then installed the factory sound pad. Then I covered it with black felt carpet from the local fabric store. Just spray glue it down. search for high temp spray glue for best results. Very easy to strech and looks nice.
carr914
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 17 2010, 06:43 PM) *

That would be tough, as it would have to be a molded part. The amount of curves and reccesses on the firewall is surprising. I initially cut mine with what I thought was plenty of overhang that I would simply trim off after it was glued in. It ended up being way to small. I then added an extra 16"+ to both dimensions and was able to get it in - after graciously using both a spray bottle and a heat gun to strecth and mold the perlon to all of the ins and outs. It was way more work than I expected. My fingers were raw afterwards.

agree.gif
sww914
You need to either use un-backed carpet (trunk liner) or sew pieces together to form to the concave bits. The better glue is better.
jgara962
Here's mine that I did a few years ago.
effutuo101
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 17 2010, 04:48 PM) *

How about stripping the OEM backpad of all the vinyl and then covering it with carpet or perlon ? The backer board is already molded to the firewall and I would think would be fairly easy to cover.

I did this on an initial run for my interior. It was very easy with a little bit of foam and using the process that Scott brings up with the heat gun (blow dryer) and some streaching. A staple gun, blow dryer and some spray on adhesive and I was done. It came out looking very nice. I opted to go a different direction in the end.

Justinp71
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 17 2010, 11:03 AM) *

mine...

What seats are those? they look comfy and like they'll hold you in well...
RON S.

Here's mine I did a couple of years back.

Pretty much the same as everyone else. I painted the contact cement on with a brush, and then formed the Perlon on.

Ron
andys
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 17 2010, 11:03 AM) *

mine...

Scott,

Can you tell us a little about those seats? Custom made with bolsters, or a purchased seat?

Andys
gothspeed
All these look sooo good w00t.gif !!! I will be putting black vinyl or a faux suede with 1/4 foam. Then some cleverly located metal snaps to hold it on smile.gif.
Justinp71
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 17 2010, 11:29 AM) *

the other thing I like to do is take the backpad apart, put velcro on the Centerpiece and slap it back in. This looks good and hides any access hole you might have put through the firewall.

You also have the stock light smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 17 2010, 08:59 AM) *

Here is mine covered in perlon. I love the look compared to the backpad. biggrin.gif

Looks great (!!!!), but please please get some seats that will work with those belts. I'd hate to see you get seriously hurt! sad.gif

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.