Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GEX Case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
70_914
Nobody cared to comment on my project being for sale I am moving forward- the more I get done, the more iit is worth biggrin.gif .

The engine I pulld out of my 1970 car had been sitting in the corner for a while, and I decided to take it apart, get the parts that are good (it did run but sounded like it had a knock) and build up a good engine. I discovered that there is no serial # on top of the case, it is stamped GEX. It already has threaded oil galley plugs, also.

IPB Image

IPB Image
70_914
10919 or 10920 are rebuilt GEX 1.8 engines. $1,999.00 each. Mine came out of a 1970 and has the brather tubes pinched off, guess it is a 10919.

Heard many bad things about GEX, though. Anybody have any experience with them?
Root_Werks
I had an 1835 from GEX long block in a bug years back. Ran great, never any issues with it for the year I ran with it daily.

Sold the bug and about a month later the new owner called me up saying his alternator/generator light came on so he turned around and went home.

How far did you drive?

Only like 5-6 miles.

headbang.gif

So much for that little engine.

Others may disagree, but my experience with them on that one engine was good.
Nie Zu Alt
There are quite a few horror stories about GEX engines, mostly Type I. Do a search on the Samba forums for GEX and you'll have plenty to read.

aircooledtechguy
GEX = Rattle-can rebuild

$1995 out the door for a type-4 long-block is cheaper than just the parts needed to do a quality rebuild.

I would consider yourself fortunate if that ends up as a rebuildable core.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 17 2010, 10:25 AM) *

Every squirrel gets a nut now and again lol-2.gif Have you ever considered lotto tickets or a trip to Vegas?? poke.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 17 2010, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 17 2010, 10:25 AM) *

Every squirrel gets a nut now and again lol-2.gif Have you ever considered lotto tickets or a trip to Vegas?? poke.gif

blink.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.