Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I.D. My Tie Rod?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Everywhere I look at parts the tie rods simply use a nut on the tie rod end threads to lock up against the tie rod itself. Mine are different...the tie rod is split at the outer end and there a pinch fitting to hold onto the tie rod end. Mine is a 1970. Are these stock tie rods for my car or something else?
Click to view attachment
McMark
Look like a stock tie rod, but seeing the inner joint would help.
kenshapiro2002
Here's a shot from PP of the replacement part. Everywhere I look, they are just like this one...no split on the tie rod like mine...just a jam nut against the end of the rod.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
stock.
kenshapiro2002
So, are the stock ones split and the replacements not?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 17 2010, 03:11 PM) *

stock.

detoxcowboy
I noticed that difference on your last post on tie rods.. The new one I put on looks like your picture from pelican and the old ones look exactly the same as the new ones.. 1974 2.0 but I can't confrim the p.o. made any changes or not, but from the rest of the car I can be somewhat assured he did not...
Spoke
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 17 2010, 03:19 PM) *

So, are the stock ones split and the replacements not?

Yes, yours are 70's stock. The replacement is later versions of 911 types. Identical in size but different in adjustment technique.

If you replace yours, get turbo tierods from PP or AA or other reputable distributors. Not eBay. There are some cheap imitation turbo tierods out there. Lemforder is one of the good ones.
TheCabinetmaker
Pet shows the one with the nut only with 76 model only listed. I just went outside and checked 5 cars.

72- clamp
73- clamp
74/75/76- nut
kenshapiro2002
We need more members with stables of 914s! aktion035.gif

QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 17 2010, 03:58 PM) *

Pet shows the one with the nut only with 76 model only listed. I just went outside and checked 5 cars.

72- clamp
73- clamp
74/75/76- nut

McMark
Here's a picture of a stock tie rod.

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
The version with a lock nut with the tapered collar on each end is just a modernization of the original tie rod. Better technology. The single lock nut appears with the advent of the "turbo" tie rod. The earlier versions have to have a lock on each end because both ends have to turn. The inner end is fixed, unlike the inner socket used now.

The Cap'n
kenshapiro2002
Gotcha'...thanks.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 17 2010, 09:19 PM) *

The version with a lock nut with the tapered collar on each end is just a modernization of the original tie rod. Better technology. The single lock nut appears with the advent of the "turbo" tie rod. The earlier versions have to have a lock on each end because both ends have to turn. The inner end is fixed, unlike the inner socket used now.

The Cap'n

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.