Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestion.... anybody agree?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
I am still on jackstands, and probably will be for quite some time. I don't think I am alone when I say that build threads give me inspiration, and a lot of tips as well. I am always searching trying to find one or the other, and I just thought maybe a separate link or forum devoted just to build threads might make it all the easier to browse through them. It might even encourage more to make their own thread.

Maybe it's just my own crazy thought, and in no way am I suggesting that the way things are done right now is in any way wrong, but I am always willing to give my 2 pennies.

BTW, if there is something like this in place and I don't know it, consider it a noob mistake please, and direct me.
VaccaRabite
This gets suggested every now and again. I go hot and cold on the idea myself.

The biggest problem is that the Garage is the high traffic area of the forum. Moving build threads off to their own location means less people will go there to see them. As helpful as build threads are for the folks reading them after the fact (and they are helpful that way) they are WAY MORE helpful for the guy writing them and asking questions that need answered ASAP. Moving the build thread off to their own spot means that the feedback will become less frequent.

I know I had so many questions answered in my build thread, I am not sure I would have finished the car without it.

Zach
SirAndy
Maybe a section that simply has links to all the build threads in the garage?

That way the threads stay where they are ...
idea.gif Andy

PS: It's on my list to do the same with the classic threads. Move them all back to the garage and just leave a list of links to them in the "Classic Thread Forum" ...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2010, 02:25 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

PS: It's on my list to do the same with the classic threads. Move them all back to the garage and just leave a list of links to them in the "Classic Thread Forum" ...

beerchug.gif Sounds like a good idea
poorsche914
agree.gif
A list sounds like a good idea.
Gigamight
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2010, 05:25 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

I was kinda thinking about that, but I didn't know it was possible. I agree completely with Zach about the traffic needed for answers while someone is involved in a build, so that would solve the problem.

It would be a pain for you to have to go through every post looking for a build thread, so maybe you could send out a bulk PM to let everyone know to submit their build thread, if they have one.

Great plan Andy! Now, when you get around to it... type.gif wink.gif
1968Cayman
How about creating a build link into the member info similar to the Blog link over on the PP forum? That way if you like someone's post you can click (somewhere in the left margin) and find their build thread (if available. I'm sure some folks bought cars that actually ran)??
plymouth37
If you scroll down to the bottom of the world garage page and select "order: views" it will sort by threads that have the most views which are usually the build threads. All of the big ones are within the first dozen or so entries.
Gigamight
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ May 17 2010, 10:11 PM) *

If you scroll down to the bottom of the world garage page and select "order: views" it will sort by threads that have the most views which are usually the build threads. All of the big ones are within the first dozen or so entries.

That is a good point, but us guys who are new to here might not know that. I'm just thinking about user/noob friendly, for us new guys who are desperate to find tips and inspiration without hours of hunting.
Gigamight
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ May 17 2010, 09:55 PM) *

How about creating a build link into the member info similar to the Blog link over on the PP forum? That way if you like someone's post you can click (somewhere in the left margin) and find their build thread (if available. I'm sure some folks bought cars that actually ran)??

Not a bad idea either. I put a link in my sig to my build thread (painfully in need of updating) but I think I have only seen one other member who did the same.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Links to cool build threads would be awesome...
campbellcj
I like the idea of a list/directory.

My build thread is on the "other" board though...
McMark
Looks like you have to work to do migrating it over, Chris. happy11.gif
al weidman
I love those build threads. Anything that would help to connect would be great. Al.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.