Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: problem racking the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I recently purchased a Worth asymmetrical two post lift. It has been great so far when working on various different cars - no problems fitting things as small as the Morris and as big as the 140. Even had my truck up on it to look around.

However, I went to throw the 914 on the thing and cant get it on there without using the engine bar outer mount area as a lift point - not exaclty the best place being that I am getting ready to pull the motor...

So far, every other I have thrown on the thing has been nose (heavy side) in. Do I need to back the 914 on to the thing? Logic says that wont matter, as the distance between the donuts on the pan wont change... but I am not sure. confused24.gif

Here is a pic of the thing. Anyone have any experience with a lift like this?

Thanks pray.gif
Tom_T
Seems to me that I saw some adjustable arms/extensions that went on them - either by brand or interchangeable, that I saw in one of the many Hemmings rags I get, but don't recall where.

I know that the engineless 914 shell I have on tire caddies is heavy to the rear too, relative to the jacking doughnuts.
sean_v8_914
right under the doughnuts. I have centerline marked on teh floor of my shop. park him straight on centerline. sometimes you have to move back to get the right angle on teh rears. centerline is important or the arm angles come out wrong to reach the doughnuts.
sean_v8_914
vngf
sean_v8_914
heres a better angle of the a-symetrical arms. I prefer the heavier load on teh shorter arms and closer to teh center of teh towers (balance cg)
IronHillRestorations
I have a centerline mark too. If I don't get the car nearly perfect to center, I can't get the donuts to line up. I know for the front of the car, they aren't optimum. I've got a Rotary asymetrical.
Scott S
Thanks Very much. I will throw a line in the floor and do some moving and see if I can get it to work. In thinking about it, I feel more comfortable with the heavy end on the shorter arms, so I will flip the thing around.

Thanks again beerchug.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 17 2010, 10:37 PM) *

Hi All -
I recently purchased a Worth asymmetrical two post lift. It has been great so far when working on various different cars - no problems fitting things as small as the Morris and as big as the 140. Even had my truck up on it to look around.

However, I went to throw the 914 on the thing and cant get it on there without using the engine bar outer mount area as a lift point - not exaclty the best place being that I am getting ready to pull the motor...

So far, every other I have thrown on the thing has been nose (heavy side) in. Do I need to back the 914 on to the thing? Logic says that wont matter, as the distance between the donuts on the pan wont change... but I am not sure. confused24.gif

Here is a pic of the thing. Anyone have any experience with a lift like this?

Thanks pray.gif

Holy crap man. Now I really feel like a dirt mechanic. w00t.gif
Jakeodoule
Marking the floor is the trick. I have 3 or 4 marks of dif color sharpie.
Then depending on witch of my cars I want to work on, bingo is aligned.

I would not worry if you have the heavy end on the short arms or not. Any lift can easily hold our teeners all the way out on the arms. I have a asymmetrical lift and I put mine a little back on the lift so the doors open without contacting the posts. If your lifting a truck or something well then yes you need it centered.
TROJANMAN
I think Scott was just trying to give us a gratuitous picture of his garage...... biggrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 18 2010, 12:11 PM) *

I think Scott was just trying to give us a gratuitous picture of his garage...... biggrin.gif

agree.gif

I have the Rotary brand that is similar at my shop. The 914s have a very narrow spot where the arms will fit correctly onto the lift points since they are very close together. I typically just leave the car in neutral w/ the brake off so I can roll it an inch or two either way once it's positioned.

These cars are so light with the weight close to the center that there's no real reason to worry about backing your car on. It would take an earth quake to dislodge your car.
bigkensteele
Wasn't there a discussion recently stating that the "jacking donuts" are not for jacking, but were for the assembly line fixtures. Can't remember who it was, but they had a point in that there is no structural metal underneath the fronts, and not a whole lot under the rears.

Obviously, most of us have used them for jacking, so has anyone ever seen a bent floorboard due to jacking?
rascobo
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 18 2010, 05:16 PM) *

Wasn't there a discussion recently stating that the "jacking donuts" are not for jacking, but were for the assembly line fixtures. Can't remember who it was, but they had a point in that there is no structural metal underneath the fronts, and not a whole lot under the rears.

Obviously, most of us have used them for jacking, so has anyone ever seen a bent floorboard due to jacking?

Yah, The drivers side floor on My car was pushed up a good two inches or more (and the passenger side to a lesser degree).Between My hopping on them and a big rubber mallet I was pretty much able to pound them back down. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.